Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

£18.98 and £19.98. Maybe it’s only free shipping above £20. Who knows. The prices are so low that I’m not going to bitch about shipping.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Anyone know how long the zavvi sale might last?

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

My guess is Zavvi's sale is being run in conjunction with Arrow's 10 year sale happening on their own website, which runs through to midday July 7th.

4. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

That would be ideal. Then I can pull the trigger on Scorpion's Mafu Cage this month and then get The Larraz set and AHP 2 on pay day.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I'm quite surprised that the Larraz boxset is still available.

I preordered it (and while I wouldn't mind having it for free, I still think it's money well spent) in fear of it selling out but it's still widely available.

If a boxset like this doesn't sell like hot cakes, what will?

6. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Baffling, but I'm happy to benefit from the questionable taste of others. :D

7. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

oh sure, I have gone all out on this sale

it just makes me wonder : how long will Arrow be releasing discs like this? 5 years from now, will they still be releasing physical discs?

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

They are quite a big label and have probably produced quantities other smaller labels wouldn't risk.

I think there genius move was being able to create a successful American line, for a UK company this was bold, but really opened up the world in terms of sales and where their products featured.

I don't see physical disk going anywhere soon, sure we keep hearing about there demise but they are still here, and from a recent article I read doing better than expected.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I bought a lot between Arrow direct and Zavvi. Great deals as I get caught up on a lot of the Arrow catalog.

10. maybrick

I agree. The death of physical media is very premature. There will always be a collector’s market for it even if prices quadruple.

11. sinister

sinister Active Member

Indeed, just remember the prices we used to eagerly pay for special edition laserdisc boxed sets, £50 to £100 for a single movie!

I often look at my collection now and think how lucky we are, £5 to £10 for most Blu-ray movies or even £15 for a new release in such great quality. :)

Maybe physical media versions will eventually go back to those old type of releases... elaborate boxed sets with exclusive extras for very high prices.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Reviews are up for American Horror Project Vol. 2:

Blu-ray.com: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/American-Horror-Project-Vol-2-Blu-ray/239714/#Review

Mondo Digital: https://www.mondo-digital.com/darkaug.html

Mine has shipped, and I’m very excited, though I expect that I’ll get the most mileage out of The Child. I’ve always dug the eerie atmosphere of that one. I get the impression from the reviews that the other two are sorta low-key horror dramas (which Stephen Thrower seems to like a lot, based on his writings on Axe, Pigs, and The Premonition). I did enjoy all three movies in the first volume, but I prefer the nightmarish Malatesta’s Carnival of Blood and the unsettling The Witch Who Came from the Sea to the melodrama of The Premonition.

satans-sadists likes this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. maybrick

3 out of 4 of my Arrow discs arrived two days ago. Still waiting on the 4th. Somehow it got separated in transit. What’s odd is that I placed two orders one day apart from each other and both discs from my second order arrived ahead of schedule but one from my first is MIA. I don’t know why I think that’s odd, precisely, but it figures because it was the one disc I wanted to see the most due to my not owning it in any other format (Matinee). The others were just upgrades.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Omg Hills have Eyes part 2 Limited Edition announced this I gotta get to match it with the first film from Arrow Video.

Angelman and gobad2003 like this.
  16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It’s terrible but I’ll get it.

fceurich39 likes this.
  17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I've always had a soft spot for the 2nd movie, probably because I saw it first. It's so lazy, I love it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  18. maybrick

The only thing good about it is the F13 soundtrack.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

HILLS HAVE EYES PART 2 (UK/US/CAN) extras:
    • Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original uncompressed mono audio
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
    • Blood, Sand, and Fire: The Making of The Hills Have Eyes Part II - brand new making-of documentary featuring interviews with actor Michael Berryman, actress Janus Blythe, production designer Dominick Bruno, composer Harry Manfredini and unit production manager/first assistant director John Callas
    • Still gallery
    • Original Theatrical Trailer
    • 6 Postcards
    • Reversible fold-out Poster
    • Limited Edition 40-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Amanda Reyes and an archival set visit from Fangoria
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

MACABRE VISIONS: THE FILMS OF MARIO BAVA (9-disc set - UK-only):
    The legendary Mario Bava has inspired generations of filmmakers, including names as wide-ranging as Martin Scorsese, Tim Burton and Guillermo Del Toro. With their virtuoso photography and budget-belying visual effects, his films transcend their unassuming origins and played a vital role in shaping the horror movie as we think of it today. This exclusive collection from Arrow Video gathers together nine films from Bava’s diverse catalogue – including gothic horrors, giallo thrillers and even a real-time crime drama.

Our journey through the maestro’s output begins with Black Sunday, the ground-breaking gothic shocker that defined the Italian horror film, before launching the “giallo” phenomenon with the twisty The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Up next is a triple bill of terror with the gruesome anthology Black Sabbath, followed by a further slice of the macabre with the spine-tingling Kill, Baby… Kill! Next, Bava channels his inner Agatha Christie with the Ten Little Indians-inspired Five Dolls for an August Moon, followed by the proto-Friday the 13th slasher A Bay of Blood (aka Twitch of the Death Nerve). Bava then returns to his horror stomping ground with the twisted and atmospheric Baron Blood and his surreal classic Lisa and the Devil – widely considered to be his masterpiece. The collection concludes with Rabid Dogs (aka Kidnapped), a gritty, frenetic crime thriller that grabs the viewer by the throat and refuses to let go.

This stunning collection represents one of Italian cinema’s unsung heroes at the height of his creativity, ably assisted by a diverse and talented cast of cult actors, including Barbara Steele (The Pit and the Pendulum), Telly Savalas (Kojak), John Saxon (Tenebrae), Edwige Fenech (Strip Nude For Your Killer), Erika Blanc (The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave) and Boris Karloff (The Comedy of Terrors). Whether you’re a newcomer to these films or experiencing them for the umpteenth time, Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava is a must-have addition to your library.

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all nine films
    • Original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
    • English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
    • Alternative cuts of Black Sunday, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Black Sabbath, A Bay of Blood, Baron Blood, Lisa and the Devil and Rabid Dogs
    • Audio commentaries on every film by Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
    • Numerous interviews with critics, cast and crew members
    • Mario Bava: Maestro of the Macabre, a documentary profile of the director, hosted by Mark Kermode and featuring interviews with Joe Dante, John Carpenter and Tim Burton
    • The Devil’s Daughter, a video essay by critic Kat Ellinger
    • Multiple introductions by author and critic Alan Jones
    • Yellow, Semih Tareen’s short film homage to Bava’s cinema
    • Multiple theatrical trailers and TV spots
    • Limited edition packaging featuring original theatrical artwork
    • Collector’s souvenir hardcover book featuring writing by Matt Bailey, Alan Jones, Kier-La Janisse, David Cairns, Tim Lucas, Travis Crawford, Glenn Kenny, Adrian Smith, Jay Slater, Oliver James, Stephen Thrower, Peter Blumenstock, Michael J. Carroll and Helen Mullane
    • And much, much more!

WHO SAW HER DIE? (US/CAN) extras:
    • Brand new 2K restoration of the full-length Italian version of the film from the original 35mm camera negative
    • High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
    • Uncompressed mono 1.0 LPCM audio
    • Original English and Italian soundtracks, titles and credits
    • Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
    • New audio commentary by author and critic Travis Crawford
    • I Saw Her Die, a new video interview with director Aldo Lado
    • Nicoletta, Child of Darkness, a new video interview with actress Nicoletta Elmi
    • Once Upon a Time in Venice, a new video interview with co-writer Francesco Barilli
    • Giallo in Venice, a new video interview with author and critic Michael Mackenzie
    • Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
    • Poster and fotobusta gallery
    • Revrsible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Haunt Love

THE PREY (UK/US/CAN) details extras:
    LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTENTS
    • Limited to 3,000 units
    • Exclusive slipcover featuring original UK home video artwork
    • Three versions of the feature: Original US Theatrical Cut, International Cut and Composite cut!
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original uncompressed mono audio
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
    • Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ewan Cant
    DISC ONE - US THEATRICAL CUT
    • Brand new 2K restoration of the filmmaker-approved US Theatrical Cut from the original camera negative
    • Brand new audio commentary with producer Summer Brown
    • Brand new audio commentary with Amanda Reyes and Ewan Cant
    • Audio Interview with director Edwin Scott Brown
    • Brand new on-camera interview with actress Debbie Thureson
    • Brand new on-camera interview with actress Lori Lethin
    • Brand new on-camera interview with actor Carel Struycken
    • Brand new on-camera interview with actor Jackson Bostwick
    • In Search of The Prey - Ewan Cant and actress Debbie Thureson revisit the original shooting locations in Idyllwild, California
    • Q&A from Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 with Lori Lethin, Carel Struycken and Jackson Bostwick
    • Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 Audience Reaction Track
    • VHS Trailer and TV Spot
    • Original Script (BD-ROM Content)
    DISC TWO - INTERNATIONAL & COMPOSITE CUTS
    • Brand new 2K restoration of the International Cut featuring the infamous “gyspy flashback” footage, added at a later date by the producers without the approval of the original filmmakers
    • Composite Cut combining footage from both the US Theatrical and International Cuts, for the ultimate Prey fan experience!
    • Extended Outtakes reel - 45 mins of never-before-seen outtakes

Nailwraps, Katatonia, zbinks and 6 others like this.
  20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Never expected too see a special edition hills 2, I brought the original UK blu, expecting this too be the only release. I've not watched it yet, but fair play too arrow for release, they must have done research into appetite for a packed release before embarking?