Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Good catch! For some reason, I don't find any charm in Blood Rage. The "cranberry sauce" line just ain't funny (very rarely do wise-cracking villains work for me), Louise Lasser's heroically awful attempt to reach her boyfriend over the phone makes me genuinely uncomfortable for her as an actress, and for a slasher movie, I found myself missing a good final chase. You could argue that Blood Rage is no better and no worse than Scared Stiff and Trapped Alive, but that's the thing with bad movies, they click with you or they don't. But yes, you're right, I generally go for the gritty, the grotesque, the sleazy, and the genuinely frightening over the lighter fare. As for The Mutilator, it's one of those I wanted to like, and have revisited, hoping that the first viewing merely caught me on a bad day.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Been a while since my last viewing of the film, but I just watched the Scream Factory release of 10 to Midnight. On the surface it's a police crime drama, but there are definitely some slasher horror elements in the story. Andrew Stevens was very good as Charles Bronson's partner on the LAPD. Good interview with Stevens on the disc as well. He played in a lot of interesting genre films back then.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I remember feeling slightly let down by 10 to Midnight. I was probably expecting some more straight-up, adrenaline-fuelled slasher thrills. Maybe I should give it a second go - after all, it's got Charles Bronson, a naked killer, and Andrew Stevens, whom I'd forgotten was in this (maybe because he didn't get to go into his wild-eyed, nostril-flaring mode, which he does so fabulously in The Seduction and Scared Stiff). You just moved it to my maybe pile. ;)

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually loved 10 to Midnight, and the SF blu-ray was my first viewing. It has that classic Cannon Films sleaze that really adds to the atmosphere of the movie.

Also, this has got to be one of Shout’s best remasters, it’s one of the best 4K o-neg scans they’ve put out so far. I was blown away at how incredible this film looked. Extremely detailed, beautifully resolved film grain, nice colour and the features are great as well. I’d say this was one of their best releases so far this year.

~Matt

Kim Bruun and satans-sadists like this.
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10 to Midnight is essential for a few of the funniest, most ridiculous scenes in cinema history--2 hilarious foot chases, possibly the greatest interrogation scene ever, and some extremely comical bilingual obscene phone calls. My friends and I wore out the beta tape I made of an HBO broadcast.

Bronson certainly didn't make his best movies with J. Lee Thompson, but all of their collaborations are compulsively entertaining. In the 80s, Thompson had a knack for choosing scripts that had at least one outrageously sleazy scene. The Evil That Men Do boasts perhaps the funniest act of chivalry committed to film (which had me rolling on the floor convulsing for an extended period). And Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects is gloriously tasteless throughout its running time. All 3 of these flicks still amuse me greatly. I wish there were a hundred more movies like them.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) October 29th, 2019
    I'll buy anything with a Time Lucas commentary but the joke's on Arrow... I'd buy Man of a Thousand Faces anyways. ;)

zbinks likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

satans-sadists and zbinks like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Apparently there is some issue with the Alice Sweet Alice Blu-ray release now. It's disappearing completely from some retailer's websites, "Out of stock" and unavailable to pre-order at Diabolik, and MVD (Arrow distributor here) lists it now as "ON HOLD"

chancetx and Mutilated Prey like this.
  11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

....and it's unclear whether the above video is assumption or fact.

https://www.facebook.com/DiabolikDVD/posts/10157510922913530

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  13. Katatonia

It's beginning to sound like it's more of a possible disc issue than a rights problem. I think some people were just jumping to wild conclusions (and even threatening class-action lawsuits :rolleyes:). It must not be a major problem however, if the 2 advance reviews posted online didn't catch it.

I have it pre-ordered at both Bullmoose and Amazon, and both were placed well before this fiasco, so one might still ship. I'm certainly not cancelling at this point... and if there is an issue with the disc, I'm sure Arrow will offer a replacement program as they always have. Bullmoose does currently show it as "In Stock" at 5 of their stores right now, so they have apparently gotten copies in.

14. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Threatening a lawsuit? Seriously? Depending upon where the disc was pre-ordered, it's possible that most folks haven't even PAID for it yet, so all we're talking about could be a simple delay. Being divorced from reality and having an overweening sense of entitlement...not a good combination. But, that's the internet for you: from zero to thunderously delusional in the blink of an eye.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. Katatonia

Did anyone else get the Weird Science Blu-ray? I received it yesterday from Bullmoose, and the Slipcover is gorgeous. It's one of those velvety ones with neon/metallic touches like they used on the Crimes of Passion release.

Yup on another infamous forum, but it was perhaps partly sarcasm... maybe. o_O

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Myron Breck likes this.
  16. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

This news made me bite on their Oldboy release :

***OLDBOY RELEASE DATE + SPECS UPDATE***

As some of you may know, we ran into a few contractual issues for some extras on this release. Sadly, we weren’t able to work this out and these extras will not be included on our releases. However, in order to create the best version of OLDBOY that we can, we’ve managed to licence LADY VENGEANCE and SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE - which will both be included on our Limited 4-discs release! You can check out the revised specs for all editions of OLDBOY below.

4-DISC LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY CONTENTS
    • Four-disc edition featuring Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance and the feature-length documentary Old Days
    • Limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ryan Tobin
    • Limited edition 100-page hardbound book featuring new writing by Simon Abrams, Kat Ellinger, and archival articles
    • Double-sided fold-out poster

DISC ONE – OLDBOY
    • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by director Park Chan-wook
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo
    • Original Korean and English soundtracks
    • Music and effects track
    • Newly translated, optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
    • Newly translated English subtitles for the Korean soundtrack
    • Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
    • Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
    • Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
    • New audio commentary with critic Jasper Sharp and writer Simon Ward
    • Out of the Past, new video appreciation by Asian film expert Tony Rayns
    • Deleted scenes with optional director commentary
    • Behind the scenes featurettes
    • Extensive cast and crew interviews
    • “Bring My Love” music video by Starsailor, using clips of the film
    • Trailers and teasers
    • Image gallery

DISC TWO – OLD DAYS
    • Old Days: An Oldboy Story (110 mins), acclaimed feature-length 2016 documentary about Park Chan-wook's masterpiece
    • Autobiography of Oldboy, a three-and-a-half-hour video diary of the making of Oldboy

DISC THREE – SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Newly translated English subtitles
    • Audio commentary by director Park Chan-wook and filmmaker Ryoo Seung-wan
    • Screaming for Vengeance, Kim Newman on the Vengeance Trilogy and the tradition of revenge films
    • Extensive archival making-
    of featurettes, behind the scenes featurettes and cast and crew interviews
    • Trailers
    • Image gallery

DISC FOUR – LADY VENGEANCE
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of two versions of the film, the original theatrical version and the fade to black and white version
    • Newly translated English subtitles
    • Audio commentary by director Park Chan-wook, director of photography Jung Jung-hoon and art director Joh Hwa-seong
    • Audio commentary by director Park Chan-wook and actress Lee Yeong-ae
    • Audio commentary by academic Richard Peña
    • Extensive archival making-of featurettes, behind the scenes featurettes, cast and crew interviews and deleted scenes
    • Trailers
    • Image gallery

shape22 likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What's with the extra films? Are they related to Old Boy? I'm not complaining, just curious :D

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You mean Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance? They're the other films in a loose "Revenge Trilogy", three unrelated films (character-wise) about people seeking vengeance. All are enjoyable watches.

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The spec change on the Old Boy set has prompted several folks on other media sites to bite where they had been on the fence before. The direct sale from the Arrow UK site is now sold out, but secondaries like Amazon still list it.

Guess a three film release trumps lots of extras for a single film. I know the potential for a sell out made me pull the trigger on my Amazon cart, when I had been just waiting around before.