Arrow Video's "American Horror Project"

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Oct 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Another month, still no announcement for American Horror Project Vol. 2...

Still, there are plenty of upcoming releases of titles right out of Thrower's book:

The Creature from Black Lake (Synapse, though the elements they have proved unusable, outlook not so good)
    The Dark (Code Red, Bill says it "looks like it was shot yesterday")
    The Deadly Spawn (Synapse)
    Demented (Scream Factory, 11/04)
    Don't Go Near the Park (Severin, hinted at)
    Drive-In Massacre (Severin, 14/03)
    Fiend (Massacre Video)
    Last House on Dead End Street (Vinegar Syndrome, apparently the restoration is tedious)
    Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (Synapse, no word for some time)
    Massacre at Central High (Synapse, "coming soon")
    Octaman (Retromedia, also announced - then cancelled - by Kino Lorber)
    Phantasm (Collection from Well Go USA 28/03, 1-5 from Arrow UK 28/04)
    Ruby (VCI, no idea what's going on with this one)
    Screams of a Winter Night (Code Red, restoring the lost fourth segment)
    Simon, King of the Witches (Code Red)
    Warlock Moon (Code Red)
    The Zodiac Killer and Another Son of Sam (Something Weird)

Let me know if I've missed anything or if any of the above information is incorrect. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Katatonia likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm kind of obsessed with the NetFlix series GLOW, and if you haven't watched, I can't recommend it enough. It's amazing!

Found an interesting article on Bloody Disgusting. There's nothing in it you couldn't find on IMDB, but I didn't think to look. http://bloody-disgusting.com/editor...a-based-real-director-made-real-horror-movie/

In the show, Marc Maron plays a director of B-movies, with several of his fictional horror movies being mentioned or shown throughout the series.

Turns out the real life director of GLOW back in the '80s was Matt Cimber, former husband of Jayne Mansfield and director of The Witch Who Came From The Sea. How cool!

In other American Horror Project news, Dark August appears to be one of the titles in Volume 2.

satans-sadists and zbinks like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I only just started watching GLOW a couple weeks ago. Almost halfway through the second season. It's very good.

Marc Maron's character can be a real asshole at times, but he is great in the series. Had no idea that Matt Cimber was connected to GLOW. I have some of his movies and enjoy them.

Very cool article.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This is old news to me because I'd seen the documentary on GLOW a couple years before the fictional Netflix series was announced so I was well aware Marron's character was based on Matt Cimber, as Cimber is interviewed in the doc. I highly recommend the doc if you've never seen it and are a fan of the Netflix show, they nailed a lot of things from the real-life world of GLOW.

5. Kim Bruun

Every month, when they make the announcements and post the "which are you most looking forward to" bit, I'm left with this sort of flat feeling because it's been yet another month with no announcement of American Horror Project Vol. 2. C'mon, it's been two-and-a-half years since Vol. 1 came out, Vol. 2 ain't even out yet, and I'm ready for Vol 3. It will be interesting to see the October announcements, especially considering the rumors of a Halloween box set. I'd be surprised to see Arrow release two box sets the same month, even if one is UK only.

As for Dark August, Thrower seems moderately enthusiastic about it in Nightmare USA. My personal hope is that the outrageous Evil Force / Meatcleaver Massacre will be part of the project. Bill said on Blu-ray.com that a company had made a 4k transfer, only to find out that the movie wasn't in the public domain. He didn't identify the company, though. If what he said is true, I hope it gets sorted out. It's such a weird, fun film, it would add a nice counterbalance to more restrained and glossy additions such as The Premonition.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It sounds like more films in this line will be forthcoming from Arrow...at some point: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15962901&postcount=6688

Kim Bruun likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

From Dawn Of The Discs:

***AMERICAN HORROR PROJECT VOLUME 2 UPDATE***
    Ewan Cant of Arrow Video commented on the latest episode of The Hysteria Continues that the announcement for the long awaited “American Horror Project: Volume 2” is “very close”. He mentioned that he couldn’t say much more than that, but that it was indeed coming! He also teased a huge Slasher announcement for Texas Frightmare Weekend in May!

Kim Bruun likes this.
  8. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Jared from Mondo Macabro also mentions that AHP 2 is close to completion. From bluray.com:

"Arrow's Ewan Cant is on the latest episode of the podcast "The Hysteria Continues" and says that AHP V.2 is very close to being done.

And I can tell you from speaking about it with Steven Thrower that the long amount of time taken to just get it done is just down to clearing rights and aquiring usable materials, which has proven to be a challenge."

Also, another post in the same thread (not from Jared):

"The subject of the podcast in question is Blood Frenzy, and they say something about 'hopefully some exciting developments' concerning the film at the end of the current podcast (on Scream) when mentioning Cant's appearance. Could Arrow have acquired Blood Frenzy I wonder?"

MorallySound likes this.
  9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Blood Frenzy! Hopefully that's true!

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I guess it's time for me to watch the other two movies in Volume 1 then. I saw Maletesta, had the following reaction:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and put away the set

11. CPT HOOK

That's the best one!

12. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

But that's a good reaction for this type of movie!

13. CPT HOOK

Coming 6/25

AHP_VOL2_EXPLODED_PACK_US_V3.jpg

Continuing its mission to unearth the very best in weird and wonderful horror obscura from the golden age of US independent genre moviemaking, Arrow Video is proud to present the long-awaited second volume in its American Horror Project series co-curated by author Stephen Thrower (Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents).

Starting off with a little-seen 1970 offering from underrated cult auteur John Hayes (Grave of the Vampire, Garden of the Dead), Dream No Evil is a haunting, moving tale of a young woman’s desperate quest to be reunited with her long-lost father – only to find herself drawn into a fantasyland of homicidal madness. Meanwhile, 1976’s Dark August stars Academy Award-winner Kim Hunter (A Streetcar Named Desire) in a story of a man pursued by a terrifying and deadly curse in the wake of a hit-and-run accident. Lastly, 1977’s Harry Novak-produced The Child is a gloriously delirious slice of horror mayhem in which a young girl raises an army of the dead against the people she holds responsible for her mother’s death.

With all three films having been newly remastered from the best surviving film elements and appearing here for the first time ever on Blu-ray, alongside a wealth of supplementary material, American Horror Project Volume Two offers up yet another fascinating and blood-chilling foray into the deepest, darkest corners of stars-and-stripes terror.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restorations from original film elements

• High Definition Blu-ray presentation

• Original uncompressed PCM mono audio

• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Reversible sleeves for each film featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by The Twins of Evil

• American Horror Project Journal Vol. II – limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the films by Stephen R. Bissette, Travis Crawford and Amanda Reyes

DREAM NO EVIL

• Filmed appreciation by Stephen Thrower

• Brand new audio commentary with Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan

• Hollywood After Dark: The Early Films of John Hayes, 1959-1971 – brand new video essay by Stephen Thrower looking at Hayes’ filmography leading up to Dream No Evil

• Writer Chris Poggiali on the prodigious career of celebrated character actor Edmond O’Brien

• Excerpts from an audio interview with actress Rue McClanahan (The Golden Girls) discussing her many cinematic collaborations with director John Hayes

DARK AUGUST

• Brand new audio commentary with writer-director Martin Goldman

• Brand new on-camera interview with Martin Goldman

• Brand new on-camera interview with producer Marianne Kanter

• The Hills Are Alive: Dark August and Vermont Folk Horror – author and artist Stephen R. Bissette on Dark August and its context within the wider realm of genre filmmaking out of Vermont

• Original Press Book

THE CHILD

• 1.37:1 and 1.85:1 presentations of the feature

• Brand new audio commentary with director Robert Voskanian and producer Robert Dadashian, moderated by Stephen Thrower

• Brand new on-camera interviews with Robert Voskanian and Robert Dadashian

• Original Theatrical Trailer

• Original Press Book

14. CPT HOOK

I received my set yesterday and I'm already ready for Volume 3!

Started with The Child last night. The director and producer seem like really nice down-to-earth guys. It's a shame they got screwed over by the distributor and never made another movie. Although the producer eventually ended up at Artisan, so at least he did well in the industry. As usual, Thrower really knows his stuff here, so his interview isn't your typical throwaway film fan/scholar piece. I normally skip those types of extras, but his are not to be missed.

I've never seen the other two films in the set, so these will be first time watches for me.

Myron Breck, Kim Bruun and russweiss like this.
  15. CPT HOOK

I forgot to follow up with the other two movies in this American Horror Project set.

Dark August was my least favorite of the three, but I still liked it a lot. It made me want to go to Vermont and drive over covered bridges. This disc also contains the best extra on the set, a lengthy discussion with a Vermont historian on their film history. There's a movie he talks about that was made the same year as Dark August, but I'm blanking on the title and I'm too lazy to go grab my set (it's mentioned in the book as well), but it sounds great and like something Vinegar Syndrome might release. No mention of the recent indie The Witch In The Window, which was a cool little movie.

Dream No Evil was a real gem of a movie. It's sort of a carny-spin on Psycho I guess? I liked it a lot though, great atmosphere and so much fun! I can't decide whether this or The Child is my favorite of the set, they're close.

I think this set was more consistent than the last, as all three films here are all tonally similar. My enjoyment of all three was pretty close. The first set is great as well, but the movies in that were all pretty different from each other. I will say that Malatesta's Carnival Of Blood is my favorite movie from either set.

16. Kim Bruun

The Child was the only one in the set I had already seen before getting Volume 2, and while I haven't watched the Blu-ray yet, it's easily my favourite of this set. Dark August is a dull, slow affair with some interesting ideas, but it's hampered by the fact that the main character isn't really likable. This may have been intentional, but it's difficult to feel invested in the fate of a character you're more or less indifferent towards. Dream No Evil is somewhat livelier, particularly with Michael Pataki's fiery sermon in which the main character dives off a 30-foot ladder in a sexy little outfit. Seriously, Michael Pataki is great. Most reviews make mentions of the overly expository voiceover, and it's true, it does state the obvious and dispel any sense of mystery, but it does underscore the odd, off-kilter vibe of the movie. Of all the movies included in the project so far, I'd say that Dark August is the only one I didn't like. I love The Witch Who Came from the Sea, Malatesta's Carnival of Blood, and The Child, and The Premonition and Dream No Evil at least are eccentric enough to keep me interested, but like I've said before, the merits of the project go beyond the entertainment value of the individual films included. I'm fine with a dud here and there, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like the dish-of-many-flavours Meatcleaver Massacre or the disfigured-maniac-on-a-budget Honeymoon Horror in the future.

satans-sadists and CPT HOOK like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Michael Pataki was great in Dream No Evil. He appeared in many 70's and 80's horror films along with some more from the Nightmare USA book. Of those, I really enjoyed him in Grave of the Vampire. Kino Lorber is releasing another one this October - that would be Dracula's Dog. Very underrated actor.

Marc Lawrence (from the movie Pigs) had a strange yet welcome role in Dream No Evil.
    So he's a mortician & a pimp in this movie?

Now that we are 6 movies into American Horror Project, I can honestly say that Malatesta's Carnival of Blood and The Child are my favorites. Malatesta's is the only film I had seen beforehand (had the old DVD release). Both are just wild and crazy horror films with a lot of replay value. I really appreciate the bonus features on each. The Child was especially fun in that regard.

Haven't really disliked any of the films yet, but would probably rank The Premonition as my least favorite. Hopefully the wait for Volume 3 is much shorter this time.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  18. Kim Bruun

I'm curious about Grave of the Vampire, but mostly because of Michael Pataki. I'm not the biggest fan of vampire movies. Fare like Count Yorga, Vampire, and the 70's hammer stuff, is a bit too hoary for my liking. Dracula's Dog didn't do it for me either (though the idea of a vampire dog is kinda cool). I will say that I LOVE Lemora, a Child's Tale of the Supernatural - come on, Synapse, get a move on!

...and possibly a construction of Grace's fractured psyche? Doesn't the policeman say something along the lines of no body being found where Grace described her daddy killing him?
    Dream No Evil , like Pigs, The Premonition, and Axe, is one of those melancholy, quietly odd movies that Stephen Thrower seems to really like. I get the fascination, but I'm glad that each set so far has had at least one visceral horror experience.

satans-sadists likes this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

On that note, maybe Scream Bloody Murder (1973) is coming to a future volume?

[​IMG]