Arrow'a January/February 2014 slate (includes The Stuff and Phantom of The Paradise!)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Oct 24, 2013.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I also rather liked Hellgate.

Nowhere near Troll 2 insanity but incredibly unpredictable and surprising.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched my Hellgate blu-ray a few nights ago and figured I'd do a little write up, since there aren't a ton of reviews out there.

I completely adore the film, I think it's a blast from start to finish. Just a mishmash of ghost stories, urban legends, cabins in the woods, '50s diners, biker gangs, cemeteries, ghost towns, zombies, phantom burlesque dancers, creepy old mansions, and exploding fish. But most of the reviews I've seen are extremely negative (2.8 on IMDB), so I can understand that people don't like it.

As for the transfer... I can't say that I was blown away. It looks fine, and certainly an upgrade over the DVD, but I'm not sure I would call it a huge upgrade. It looks a little gritty, with occasional specks, debris, even cigarette burns throughout. I can't really complain, because the fact that Hellgate is on blu-ray at all completely blows my mind. It's not a bad transfer by any means, but don't expect a lot of that 3D effect.

There are three extras on the disc. The first is a 36 minute interview with the director. I had no idea that he played the talking head in the fridge. He mostly talks about South Africa (where the film was shot) and why it was shot there. He also gives a few interesting tidbits, like Embeth Davidtz was originally up for one of the roles. He likes to name-drop, and comes off as a little too self-congratulatory at times. "James Dean was my best friend, I discovered Patrick Swayze and Dorothy Stratten, I noticed Embeth Davidtz before Steven Spielberg did" etc.

The second extra was a 13 minute interview with a film critic / scholar where he discusses his feelings about the film. It really doesn't have anything of substance regarding the film, but it's a harmless little extra. It would be easy for a film critic to be a little mean-spirited towards the film, so I really appreciated that he wasn't. The tone was very lite and mellow.

The final extra is a 9 minute interview with Kenneth J. Hall about the straight-to-video boom of the late '80s. This was a really interesting little extra, even if it didn't have much to do with Hellgate. They mention that he created Puppetmaster in the segment, but looking him up on IMDB, he also wrote two guilty pleasures of mine: Bloody Movie and The Clown At Midnight. He also designed the snowman in Jack Frost, another movie I completely adore! Great stuff!

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Cool...I'm gonna check out Hellgate tonight. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, but haven't watched it yet.

I've really enjoyed Arrow's recent releases...TCM 2, Last American Virgin, Hell Comes to Frogtown...and the quality on these are excellent.

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I ordered copies of Hellgate and Frogtown thru Arrow but I forgot that I had preordered copies from Amazon UK as well and forgot to cancel. They just sent me a shipping notification so I'll be having an extra copy of each film that I'll likely want to get rid of. If anyone is interested PM me. They won't arrive for a couple of weeks, though. Paypal only.

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Sold! I stayed away from this one in the VHS / DVD eras based on bad reviews in Deep Red, Psychotronic, etc., but that just means I don't have to feel guilty about buying the blu, right? :)

6. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I have Hellgate on the old Anchor Bay Drive-In Double Feature with The Pit. Haven't watched it in years. Might have to check it out again to see if it's worth the upgrade.

7. Chomp

I watched Hellgate last night...it was OK. I bet if it were made 4 years prior it would have been magical. There are a lot of interesting ideas that just feel kind of played. There are some nice gore effects and a copious amount of nudity from one particular blonde that probably would have also benefited more if she was 4 years younger.

It wasn't horrible by any means, but I just didn't find it to hit any marks either. A lot of these late 80's early 90's low budget horror films just seem so passed their prime. Their hearts are in the right place, but you just can't help but realize that it was certainly an end of an era.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I loved HELLGATE. I will definitely be picked this up the next time Arrow has a sale.

11. sade

sade Member

I just watched "Hell Comes to Frogtown". I couldn't believe how great the transfer is. 80's cheese classic!

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Don´t wait up too long as both are limited to 1000 copies.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Really? I don't remember reading that. I don't even know where to look of their forum anymore for upcoming releases. It's a mess there now, maybe that's just me though.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yes, they are both strictly limited to 1000 copies. It even appears on the back covers of both releases:

Limited Editon Blu-ray [1000 copies]

15. Zombie Dude

Is Frog Town the other limited one?

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Hellgate and Frogtown are limited to 1000 copies each, then is only DVD.

Yes, their forum is a complete mess. Follow their facebook page because is the most updated source.

You can check the limited info on their site...
    http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/hellgate/
    http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/hell-comes-to-frogtown/

17. Zombie Dude

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks for the heads-up! I went ahead and ordered mine. :D

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Specs for THE STUFF:

* New High Definition restoration of the film from a brand new 2K scan of the original camera negative
    * High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film
    * Original stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
    * Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    * Can't Get Enough of The Stuff: Making Larry Cohen's Classic Creature Feature – Documentary featuring Larry Cohen, producer Paul Kurta, actress Andrea Marcovicci, Steve Neill (mechanical makeup effects) and Kim Newman
    * Introduction and trailer commentary by director and The Stuff fan Darren Bousman (Saw II, Saw III)
    * Original Trailer
    * Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
    * Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Joel Harley, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials

20. Chomp

[​IMG]

Phantom of the Paradise Steelbooks are shipping! Can't wait.