Arrow's Fall / Winter 2013 Slate (PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, BODY SNATCHERS & More)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Aug 3, 2013.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

According to various sources around the 'net, Arrow have announced several of their Fall / Winter 2013 titles, including:

Michael Armstrong's MARK OF THE DEVIL (1970)
    Gory German horror flick about demon-possession and witchcraft, featuring prolonged and graphic rape, torture and killing sequences. Herbert Lom plays Count Cumberland, a demented Austrian nobleman who makes the most of the witch-hunting policies of the Inquisition to procure himself money, land - and an endless supply of beautiful young women. The Count takes on a young apprentice, Baron Christian (Kier), who realizes too late that the witch trials are nothing more than a scam to cover up for the Count's sadistic and depraved behaviour.

Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE (1973)
    Robert Altman directs this radical adaptation of Raymond Chandler's novel. Los Angeles detective Philip Marlowe (Elliott Gould) smells a rat when his friend Terry Lennox (Jim Bouton), whom he has just driven to Tijuana, is accused of murder. Convinced of Lennox's innocence, Marlowe follows a convoluted trail which leads him to his friend's mistress, Eileen Wade (Nina Van Pallandt), her alcoholic husband (Sterling Hayden) and hood Marty Augustine (Mark Rydell), to whom Lennox owed a substantial sum of money. Watch out for an early, unbilled appearance by Arnold Schwarzenegger as one of Augustine's heavies.

Philip Kaufman's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)
    An update of Don Siegel's 1956 horror classic, set in the paranoid 1970s. Alien spores land on Earth and slowly start taking over the people of America when they are asleep. The plants take over the bodies and souls of their victims so that no-one can tell who has been corrupted and who has not. Donald Sutherland takes on the role played originally by Kevin McCarthy, who appears in a cameo.

John Carpenter's BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986)
    When his friend's fiancée is kidnapped, truck driver Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) embarks upon an unlikely adventure beneath the streets of San Francisco's Chinatown. It seems that the fiancée, green-eyed Gracie Law (Kim Cattrall), has been taken by 2,000-year-old wizard Lo Pan (James Hong), who needs to marry a woman with green eyes if he is to regain his physical form. With guns at the ready, Jack storms into the Chinatown underworld ready to rescue Gracie from Lo Pan's clutches, but with the supernatutal and martial arts forces that are ranged against him, it's a task that is going to be anything but easy.

Wes Craven's THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS (1991)
    When thirteen-year-old ghetto boy Fool (Brandon Adams) joins two burglars in the robbery of a neighbourhood house, he soon wishes he'd left well alone. The duo of thieves are soon dead, and Fool discovers that the house's owners (Everett McGill and Wendy Robie) are a pair of murderous psychopaths who keep their abused stepdaughter Alice (A.J. Langer) a prisoner. Horrormeister Wes Craven provides the script and directs.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm def getting a region free blu ray player.

~Matt

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Depending on extras, I'm in for Body Snatchers, Big Trouble, and People. Especially excited about the last one because it has never received any kind of bonus material on home video.

5. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Wow thats my Christmas wishlist sorted already and its only August!!! Not seen People Under The Stairs for years. Cant remember if it was good or not. Definatly up for Body Snatchers and Mark Of The Devil if tje latter is uncut.

6. mazon2709

mazon2709 New Member

On facebook High Rising Productions (the people who do most of the Arrow extras) have said there will be extensive extras for People with participation from Wes Craven and the lead actor. Excellent news:)

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Anyone else ever have a problem trying to order directly from Arrow? I purchase shit from Amazon UK all the time without a problem, but every time I order directly from Arrow I have to call my bank to have them take some kind of security hold off so the order can go through. I've told my bank numerous times that I order from Arrow quite frequently, but every single time I place an order directly through Arrow, I have to spend 20 minutes on the phone with my bank. It's frustrating as hell.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think it has more to do with your bank than Arrow. I have to do the same thing every time I use my credit card to order something out of the States. It's an identity theft security measure.

Anybody know if The Beyond steelbook is going to have the corrected disc?

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

No matter how many region free players I burn cash on they all die. Really wish Arrow would make their releases region free again!

10. Stige

Stige Active Member

ditto for scream factory :eek:

region coding is a pain everywhere I guess

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I would assume so. It would be pure stupidity on their part if they included the botched disc.

12. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Obviously not horror, but the cover for The Long Goodbye is inspired stuff. I can't see how Arrow could trump the Region A blu of Big Trouble in Little China either in the extras or picture quality. I'm sure they got Craven to participate with the People Under the Stairs. Craven doesn't seem to have any qualms doing commentary for any of his pictures. Even the less reputable ones.

13. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a real pain in the ass for sure. :mad:

14. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Kinda surprised to see Mark of the Devil coming on Blu, but will be upgrading. My current copy is crap from Sinister Cinema.

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Do you mean it won't play discs from other regions or it won't play discs at all? I'm kind of a region-free newbie (have an LG) and so far haven't had any issues besides having to occasionally manually set the player to region 2 but players dying out? How long do they usually last before conking out?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Is it really that hard?

17. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

For some reason I was thinking it had more impressive extras. I remember buying the two disc set back in I think 2001 and was quite impressed with the supplements (commentary, Coup De' Villes music video(!), and a few other odds and ends). I wouldn't mind a new documentary or something. However, the video for the current disc is impressive.

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member