As Above, So Below (2014)

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Aug 19, 2014.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

[​IMG]

Trailer

Has anyone heard of this? I think its looks pretty good for a found footage film.
    Seems scary, kinda like The Decent. What do y'all think?

2. Franco

Franco Weekender

Looks interesting! The beginning of the trailer looks like as if it was a The Descent rip-off but then the story seems different.

3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I'm looking forward to it! It's been a while since there has been a horror movie in the theatre!! I don't really count the Purge sequel as horror-it was more of an action movie.

4. Fulcento

Fulcento New Member

Just saw the trailer today, at first glance it looks to be a very generic and uninspired Grave Encounters knock off but I love the found footage genre so I'll reserve judgement. Looking forward to it as I'm a big fan of Grave Encounters 1 & 2. Yeah, even 2!!

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

6. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Looks like a cross between The Descent and Event Horizon, I'll definitely check this out.

Also, god DAMN am I terrified of underground caverns and caves. That shot of the dude getting stuck makes my dick hurt.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Great title. Didn't love the trailer but am very curious about this one.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

People are saying it looks like The Descent, but to me it looks like The Chernobyl Diaries.

I'll wait until it hits video, unless the reviews are extremely positive.

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoy a good found footage film, I'll pass on this. Fantastic name for a horror film though.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

They are showing the trailer a bunch of times on demand and other channels. It looks pretty good. The last movie about the catacombs wasn't that bad. The one with Shannyn Sossamon. It was actually called Catacombs.

11. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Saw this today...it isn't bad, but not spectacular. Definitely got into some strange areas that I wasn't expecting and worked well for me up until the last few minutes. I will say that I did not care for the ending, though..both a little confusing and kind of lame. If you can go for matinee prices I would say go for it- I am still waiting for a GREAT horror movie to hit the theaters again, though! I have some hope for Annabelle and Ouija in October. Anybody know anything about the Kevin Smith Tusk that is supposed to be coming out in September?

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. Kept me feeling uneasy and on edge for most of its running time. I loved the use of the Paris catacombs as well. Definitely recommended as far as I'm concerned.

13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree, Ash28M. This was a really fun movie.

No illusions though, this is a shaky cam movie where things have to build throughout to get to the ending much like Blair Witch. Only, a lot cool things happen along the way, this time, stringing the whole movie together with good pacing, fluidity and settings. The many different areas of the subterranean backdrop is far more interesting than trees, trees and more trees.

There is nothing else horror related out there right now, anyway, so this served as a great way to kill 90min for us. It is very strong in the sound design department, lending itself well to the loud surround atmosphere of the theater, helping balance out the shaky cam deal. This was less of a movie and more of a fun attack on the senses. Like going through the most psychotic haunted house set up in a sewer system that would terrify a C.H.U.D.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I enjoyed the film. Not really a big fan of "found footage" films but I think that works to the advantage of this film. The movie really felt catastrophic, and at times, even made me feel that way. I went into the movie expecting a "Descent" rip off and got something else. Definitely recommend checking it out!

15. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I saw the other night and thought it was actually pretty solid, some great jump scares and the atmosphere was ridiculously claustrophobic and grim. I loved the setting, and there are some great set pieces (the burning car sequence...)

I actually liked the ending in that
    they actually lived for once!

Oh I have to agree with the sound design, x666x, it's really fantastic work. Reminded me of Oculus, the sound plays a huge role in mood.

I'd see it again!

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Good job on this one. I felt it was much better than I was anticipating. Well done on the creepiness factor. It did seem like a mix mosh of a bunch of movies though - Descent, Blair Witch, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade :lol:

Anyone notice a correlation between this and Dante's Divine Comedy? Had to be some inspiration there - pretty cool.

17. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Oh god don't get me started on this massive pile of shit! The movie itself was awesome but the acting took a big fat turd on it!! I will though give it another spin maybe a second viewing will help but I doubt it.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I felt they made every posssible wrong descision with this one. Paris Catacombs are one of the most terrifying things you could make a movie about and somehow they fucked it up. Sacred Stone? Really? Why not just thrill seeking? Or ANYTHING else. The plot reminded me of National Treasure.

19. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

YES! We finally agree on something hell has frozen over! [​IMG]

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well hey, that's something isn't it? Cheers! :)