As Good As It Gets Blu-ray - 2/12/12 - Limited to 3,000

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=5843722#post5843722

This film was a big hit, yet Sony seems to care less and less about their back catalog as time goes on.

I guess at least they are licensing the stuff out to studios like Image and TT (albeit overpriced)...and of course their own MOD DVD-R line. :eek2:

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, that is surprising! This was a really big movie.

Great flick, but I'll probably stick with the DVD. Not willing to pay $30 to upgrade.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: what, no love for the sure-to-be-included isolated score?

what a bizarre move on sony's part.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Didn't this win like 3 Oscars or so?

If a movie that did that well and is that highly regarded gets regulated to TT LE, what fucking hope is there for Night of the Living Dead 90? None would be my guess.

Ironic that Sony started Blu-ray, and now are the first to jump out it would seem. Maybe they should've thought of releasing some titles people want, instead of keeping shit like The Big Hit (I like it, not enough to upgrade though, and most hate it period) in print and selling nothing.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Here's the full announcement:

May 8

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959)
    THE BIG HEAT (1953)

June 12

JOHN STEINBECK'S "THE WAYWARD BUS" (1957)
    AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997)

I'll be getting Journey, Big Heat and Good As it Gets. Along with Bell, Book and Candle. Since Fright Night I wasn't all that interested in their announcements and now suddenly I'll be $120+ in the hole!

So I'm guessing Image passed on this one too then if it got duped in TT's lap. I was just thinking about this title a few days ago and hoping for a release. I never got it on DVD. There's a good chance Good As it Gets will sell out. I don't think as quickly as Fright Night did but then again who doesn't also want that picture of Jack kissing a dog on their fridge? I can hear the bemoaning of more missing pieces of artificially magnetized rubber coated metal already.

6. Katatonia

It was nominated for 7 Oscars, and it won two.

It grossed more than $300 million worldwide theatrically, and of course millions more on home video, with at least $67 million alone from just rentals according to Imdb.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The Big Heat!? Holy shit that's awesome (Fritz Lang is starting to become pretty well-represented on blu-ray)

But yeah really stupid move on Sony's part for not putting this out themselves. Would never have thought a movie like this would be a limited edition with numbered copies.

~Matt

8. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Especially since it's a rom com, it should have been out for valentine's day

9. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I hate to say it, but I honestly think that we're in the developmental stages of the death of physical media.

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That would suck cause that's the only way I watch movies.

11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I don't have thousands of vhs/dvd/blurays in my collection. I do though have every single movie I would ever want to watch. If they want to axe physical media they can go fuck themselves! They will not be getting a dime from me with that streaming crap.

12. Mikey Horror

TVs are basically computers now so it wont be long before streaming / buying straight through your TV become the only purchasing option for movies, this way studios can be in the position of not having to pay to have the physical media discs printed up for retail, it becomes all profit for them at that point, minus advertising. If studios had their way, they wouldn't want you to own the movie at all, but it's too late for that. I'm honestly suprised that CDs are still in stores. I thought for sure they'd have been long gone by now. I'm a collector so this does nothing but depress me and I hope I'm wrong, I'm just saying that if this is the way it ends up I will not be the least bit suprised.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

they won't be for long. at the end of this year (or was it next year?) most major recording labels are apparently ditching them.

14. Mikey Horror

If that's the case then I honestly don't see blu-ray and dvd being that far behind.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I dunno. I mean the RIAA has had a legitimate business model in place to replace CDs for years now with iTunes. Until we see something like that really cemented in terms of streaming video, I don't think we can predict the end of film on physical media with any kind of certainty. I mean, obviously it's *going* to happen, but I wouldn't expect it in the next 5 years or anything. But that's just me.

16. Katatonia

They can stuff it then. There's no way I'm paying for downgrades to crappy lossy MP3 music.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There's a couple of things going on right now though: economy and a glut of cheap DVDs. I think when a generation grows up on HD they'll appreciate the quality better and since they haven't been buying DVDs all these years they'll want Blu-ray.

We're probably looking at LD and VHS styled co-existence for awhile but I think eventually we'll get something not unlike what Vinyl is becoming in music today. DVDs might get killed off by digital downloads but not Blu-ray. I doubt streaming bitrates will be competitive any time soon and by the time they are UHQ will be the next wave for physical discs.

18. Katatonia