Ash Vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't have Starz but keep scanning this thread to get a general feel of what people are saying--like old-boo pointed out, it's so rare to see everyone agreeing! Now I'm really getting psyched for this to come to streaming. Some day.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I don't take any pleasure in being the board killjoy, but I lost interest in this show really quickly. None of the supporting characters do anything for me. All of them just make me think about how much more I'd enjoy the show if their screen time was given to Campbell. I'm glad so many of you guys are enjoying it. But it feels too much like a modern TV show for my liking. The Evil Dead universe just doesn't lend itself to an ensemble cast format.

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well this latest episode was much more like it!!

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Ep6 was the balls.
    I'm certainly not here to convince anyone. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I think part of it is going in with realistic expectations. Frankly I think the show would be horrific without an ensemble cast. Bruce can't carry the show by himself for 30 minutes a week. It just wouldn't work.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. shape22

I don't disagree with your point about expectations at all, Dave. But reigning them in is easier said than done for me. The original trilogy is iconic. The first couple episodes felt a lot more like a generic TV show than The Evil Dead to me. I probably would have hung in longer if ANY of the other actors could even approach Campbell's screen presence. But I didn't connect with any of them and found them all deadly dull.

I don't agree that Campbell couldn't carry this show by himself. He clearly could. Saddling him with a couple uncharismatic sidekicks is a terrible idea. Why not use the 70s Incredible Hulk model and fill out the weekly cast with rotating scene-stealing character actors? It's a hell of a lot easier to sign up good actors for a couple episodes versus a whole season. Hell, I think they could have attracted a horde of known horror stars if they'd gone that route.

Maybe I'll give this another try once the season is over. The fact that so many of you guys like it certainly carries some weight.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Even the behind the scenes thing this week commented on how they wanted to make everyone think this was going to be a "talkie" episode and then it went balls out.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Episode 6 was another good one, confirming what I said before again about them hitting the original cabin again (or a cabin, I guess). So yeah, this is going really well again.

I'm not against the ensemble cast, if we want this thing to go on for a while, it can't just be one man. Could Campbell carry it? I dunno, maybe. It shouldn't be too hard for different writers to write cheesy lines, but I'm living in reality - I don't watch TV so I can't say for sure, but I highly doubt there are many series in which one character is the centerpiece. At best, they'd have to work in characters like the waitress and make their little moments count a lot. But then, from a dramatic standpoint, who is gonna tug at the heartstrings when eventually these main characters turn into deadites? It's reasonable to do what they've done.

I see things from all angles. If AoD was a modern thing, would people not be outright pissed at how different it was? In today's fanbase, I definitely could see it. On the contrary, if you stay with the same formula, people inevitably whine about something being too similar (this, I rarely ever agree with. I don't think we should necessarily have to re-invent the wheel with sequels - they are sequels after all). My perspective is this, no matter what, if it's good, who gives a shit? Throw expectations and fandom out the door and take solace in quality.

And I want to point out that I just fucking love the soundtrack, even when the tunes are covers.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Having Campbell by himself would get boring after awhile. We need someone for him to bounce off of and so far I dig his "sidekicks"

Steel76 likes this.
  9. old-boo-radley

I don't mind Pablo at all actually. Awkward, likable and with the power he posses, he's a bit like Ash. Characters aren't built in a day, Ash is great, but until II/AoD, he isn't exactly the striking figure he is now. They gotta try, right? And the undertones of the Ash/cop thing is we don't like her, but hey, we'd bang her, right? And Kelly manifests the lovable loser's love interest. The lovable loser, hell, it's Ash, it's the fanbase. Let's at least try to identify. By the end of next year, Pablo could be an equal to Ash with his powers.

They probably couldn't have ruined it either way, Ash alone or with others, for a season, but a certain kudos has to be given for them to try to make it like a real TV series with subplots. If Raimi really gave a fuck, he'd have done it all, it's obvious he didn't. So we have to let others steer.

10. Wernski

Wernski Member

Eh. I do think the scales could lean a little heavier towards Bruce than the other characters, but Ash had people with him in the cabin in the old Evil Dead movies, too. And I don't think these new guys so much worse than Annie or Bobby Jo...

MisterTwister likes this.
  11. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I'm sure he would have loved too but making movies makes more money.

12. old-boo-radley

To be fair, he has only made 2 movies in 8 years, one of them being Drag Me to Hell... a perfect trade for Evil Dead 4.

MisterTwister and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Had a great double treat tonight, episode 6, which was great, I can see some serious carnage coming our way in the final episodes and 'Scouts guide to a zombie apocalypse' which was also great, going to bed a happy man this evening!

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

Starz is available for subscription through Amazon. Support Starz!

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

YESSSSSS!

16. shape22

I agree 100%. But those characters showed up, bored us, and died. Bruce's series sidekicks haven't been nearly as considerate.

17. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Very true but he's also been the producer of about 7 movies in that same period of time. Then he's produced even more TV shows. He's busy I guess is my point and he's got the money coming in.

18. Wernski

Wernski Member

Good point. This series will impress me further if some of these supporting cast members are proven to be in actual danger by at least one getting killed off.

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Episode 7 kicked some major ass!!
    This was pretty much balls to the walls action from start to finish, and the red juice kept flowing.

Probably my favorite episode so far.
    That final shot? Yeah baby!! YEAH!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    MisterTwister likes this.
  20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Just finished episode 7 and it indeed kicked some major ass.

Nice to see the lead kid from Deathgasm in this episode.

Steel76 likes this.