Ash Vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Now available on NetFlix

othervoice1, Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Holy shit!

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I have to say that I finally caught up with seasons 1 and 2 on netflix this week. I hesitated to watch it at first, not expecting it to be any good (I didn't really like the Evil Dead remake), but I have to say it blew my expectations out of the water.

This show is the perfect continuation of the original movies! It's funny, bloody, and cleverly written. I haven't enjoyed a horror show as much as this in a very long time. Now I can't wait for season 3.

sade, Workshed, russweiss and 3 others like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

How the hell did I miss this trailer?!? It was released on Halloween :D

It's back on Feb 25th :)

Workshed and sade like this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thanks for posting, not seen it before, can't say it looked great from the footage shown, we will see, fingers crossed!

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Updated thread title, FYI.

I'm almost through S2, and I think it's better than S1. Kudos to Bruce Campbell for being so game; he really seems like he's having fun with
    his head up that dead guy's arse.
    Enjoyed the puppet episode, and I thought the script did a fine job of injecting life into a pretty tired trope ("It was all a psychotic delusion...OR WAS IT?").

Only downside for me is Lucy Lawless' character. I love the actor, but I don't have a sense of what her purpose is yet in this season, and I have three more eps to go.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I couldn't BELIEVE that casting. So fun to see.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. Steel76

I think the finale of S1 was a little stronger, but overall, S2 was much better.
    The episode where Ash's car gets possessed, is one of my favorite moments :)
    And, yes, the scene you mentioned in the spoiler, is one of the funniest and gross scenes I have seen in a long time.
    I haven't laughed that hard, since I saw Evil Dead 2, for the first time :D

I can't wait to see what batshit crazy "WTF!?!" moments, they will bring in S3!

Workshed likes this.
  9. Steel76

Yeah, I loved it! :)

Hmm... I think I'm going to re-watch season 2 on Netflix tonight.

Workshed likes this.
  10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just subscribed to Starz via Amazon Prime so I could watch the new season and episode 1 is up already. It was a lot of fun with some original gore gags and a typical hilarious performance from Campbell. The series does a good job of changing up the status quo each season and I’m interested to see where they go with what’s set up in episode 1. Much more energized by the start of this season than I was by the premiere of season 2, though I seem to be in the minority in thinking that that season’s arc featuring Ruby’s kids and Baal wasn’t as exciting as the best episodes of season 1.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I gave up on this after the half-filler first season, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much as I hoped. But, after seeing the faux commercial that opens season 3, I'm inclined to try again. The entertainment value of Bruce staring straight into the camera and asking,"What's better than a handful of my nuts?" is undeniable.

msw7 likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

You should come back. Season two is vastly superior to the first.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll try to work it in. I've always wanted to like it. I just found the first season really underwhelming.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I watched season 1 and maybe half of season 2 before stopping because the quality of the streams I was watching was pretty awful and distracting. I was having fun with the show so I'd like to catch up again so I can tune into this new season.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed the season 3 opener, some funny lines, slapstick reminiscent of evil dead 2/three stooges. A nice bit of gore, new characters, I thought the re-introduction of the book was a little lazy, but all in all, very enjoyable.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. Steel76

Yeah, that was a great start of season 3 :)

17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just finished up episode 2 and it was just as good, if not a little better, than the premiere. The cold open with Ruby was great and featured some awesome FX work. Was worried they were going to lean hard into gross out gags with the whole sperm bank thing, but it wasn't as bad as the morgue in season 2. I know most people cite that episode as a highlight of the series, but usually when bodily fluids are introduced I cringe and stop laughing.

18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I think I might start watching this season when it's finished or during the October month. I need to check how long Starz will have it up. I saw a few quick teasers and it looks crazy.

19. CPT HOOK

Ash Vs Evil Dead has officially been cancelled. :(

It's a bummer, but I guess I'm part of the problem. I was going to start this season on Thursday with 1 - 3, 4-5 on Friday, 6-8 on Saturday, and watch 9-10 on Sunday night. I kind of have to binge the show, with the 30 minute episodes you just start getting into it and it's over. It plays best at an hour.

Having just re-watched seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray in preparation, I especially noticed this in season 2. You can tell that was designed to be 5 one hour episodes, not 10 half hour ones. 1&2 play together, as does 3&4, 5&6, etc. For example, 3&4 are the possessed car. 7&8 are the mental asylum, 9&10 are the cabin, etc. Season two plays flawlessly if you watch it in one hour chunks. With the first season, the perfect way to watch is 1 - 3, 4&5, 6&7, 8 - 10.

Anyway, when I originally watched season one, I was a little so-so on the start of the series but LOVED the final three cabin episodes, which essentially play as Evil Dead 4. This time around, I loved the season from beginning to end, with a few missteps (the "Brujo" episodes and the militia episode). And season two, I loved it then and still loved it now. Extremely consistent season, maintains it from beginning to end. Season two itself would have been a perfect end to the series, but I'm glad I still have another season to enjoy.

Also, one of the best surprises this time around (and one I completely missed on the first viewing) is that they actually specify the Michigan town where the cabin is located during the final three episodes of season one... and it's the town where my family's cabin was located growing up! The very same place I used to watch my muddy HBO/Cannon VHS on weekends, and the VHS transfer was so dark you could barely tell what you were looking at (which actually made it even scarier!). How crazy!

Workshed likes this.
  20. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Sucks that it was cancelled. I’m a big fan of the show. Maybe Netflix can pick it up and continue the story line.