Ash Vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I started the season tonight. Doing two episodes per night, and I'll have a one day buffer if I have a busy night.

Episode 2 has an outrageous set piece at a sperm bank that's right in line with the crazy cadaver gag from episode 2 of last season. Slightly less disgusting, but pretty much just as crazy.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sad news... :(
    Let's hope that they did a proper ending of the season, and don't throw us a nasty cliffhanger at the end.

Overall, season 2 was my favorite.
    The third one have delivered the goods, but I feel the last one was a little bit stronger. Even though the gory mayhem in the third have been incredible :D

The only issue I got, even though I love Lucy Lawless, I wish they gave us a new main badguy this season.

I would have loved two more seasons, but I think it's better it ends now, than dragging on for 5 more seasons, dropping in quality, as shows usually do.

I consider these three seasons as Evil Dead 4, 5 and 6. And I still can't believe that we finally got a continuation :)

Workshed likes this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

All good points, Steel. I'd go further and say that, as much as I enjoy Lucy Lawless, she was fairly wasted here as a character--and certainly as an overarching villain. I think that contributed to my overall mid-level investment in the series. I love that we got so much more content, and I appreciate how true it was to the source material. But it needed a better villain.

Bruce Campbell, however, deserves some sort of lifetime achievement award for how PERFECT he was in this.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Watched the final episode tonight, sad to see it end, even sadder to see where series 4 was going, it looked like it would have been an interesting addition to the series.

I still have a faint hope Netflix will pick it up, I know the chances of this happening are slim, but damn it, I'm gonna hope!

sade, fceurich39, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Overall a fun season. Better than the first, not as good as the second. They really put the chainsaw to the forefront this season, especially during a total gorefest at the high school dance.

As for the series finale, I thought it was pretty spectacular, maybe even the most ambitious thing this ambitious series has ever done... until the final minutes. You can tell they were banking on season four, and if the final moments of the season is where that was headed... I'm glad it got cancelled.

I wish they had thought ahead to give the season a proper ending just in case it got cancelled. It seemed like that was what they did with season two, and if the show had just ended there, it would have had complete closure. Still, I'm glad we got this final season. I'm sure the show was wrapped before Starz gave it the axe, but I'd be nice if they greenlit another hour or so to wrap it all up.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. sade

sade Active Member

Finally watched the last episode. The final act kind of put a smile on my face. I never thought I would see another Evil Dead offering (I don't count the crappy remake), so I am glad we got 3 seasons of pretty high quality. I cannot wait for the BluRay for the commentaries.

Workshed likes this.
  7. Steel76

Well, that was one hell of an epic final episode :)
    I'm satisfied with that ending.
    Must have been one of their most expensive episodes.

Kinda wonder, if they didn't cancel the show on purpose ;)
    Because that final scene was so wonderfully silly, that it felt like a joke ending, that was never meant to turn into a full season. :D

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    sade, hots4 and Workshed like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm finally caught up, and yes I can totally see that the finale was intended to be a series finale. I mean, how could you come back from that? There's no way they'd take the show in that direction.

It was definitely a fun series, and a great little addition to the Evil Dead movies (if you can call a series that runs more than triple the length of all three original movies combined "little"). I can honestly say we don't need to see any more of Ash, if we did it would feel totally forced.

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Rob Tapert:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...il-dead-wanted-make-new-movie-bruce-campbell/

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

11. Steel76

It's too bad Bruce has retired Ash. But at least he gave us three seasons of glorious mayhem.
    And after fighting off deadites, being showered in blood and guts, and being thrown around like a damn crash test dummy, for over 35 years, he kinda deserves the rest :D

I wouldn't mind seeing Pablo and Kelly return in a sequel :)

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think it's a very good thing he retired from the role. Really, what else do we want from Ash by Bruce Campbell? We've seen him play Ash as a young character, as a grown-up, and as a cranky old bastard. Anything further really runs the risk of diminished returns. And it's always best to walk away leaving fans wanting more.

Now it's time to tell new stories in the ED universe with new characters.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see a season 4. I’m sure that the Apocalypse future would have only lasted half a season at most before time travel would be involved to avert it and bring back the rest of the cast. The series has solidified itself too much around Pablo and Kelly (and latecomer Brandy) to feel right without them. Guess we’ll never know now. I’m sure somebody will be hired to do the official season 4 in comic book form but those are just not the same thing.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

yeah, box should look like this:

[​IMG]

KGBRadioMoskow and Workshed like this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member