Ash Vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Last two episodes have not been that great, ash has had less zing, pedestrian direction and a cheaper feel.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I agree. Last two eps were weak. Let's hope it improves.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The show has its ups and downs so far but I still think the short runtime is one of its weakest aspects. Stuff starts getting interesting or enjoyable and then bam, it's over.

Also, the evil force being a cloud just reminded me of Lost and I hate being reminded of that terribly drawn out show.

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Longer run time=more drawn out shit. I highly prefer the shorter faster run time.

Episode 5 was fun. I especially liked the finale of it.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

As 5 was the continuation from 4 and I thought 4 was the weakest, I did not expect that much and got pretty much what I expected, I hope it's now going to improve now it's moved on. But let's be honest none of the episodes have been bad, all in all good stuff so far.

6. Zombie Dude

Not true at all. They could just combine two episode's into one.

7. MisterTwister

Or you could watch two episodes back to back. Boom problem solved. No need to thank me.

8. Zombie Dude

Except I'm talking about its broadcasting which happens to be released one episode at a time.

9. MisterTwister

Which you could eventually watch together in one big lump. Again problem solved.

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Strange to see so many agreeing nearly all the way across the board. 3 awesome episodes, a couple decent ones. As long as people keep watching and enjoy it as a whole and some good home video sales get brought in, hopefully the train keeps rolling. Some of the modern touches make it feel like low budget original Evil Dead 2015, but I can look past effects as long as everything is strong. They may not always be stellar, but they're not distracting. What impresses me most, not surprisingly, is Bruce Campbell is nailing every line as Ash. I know at one point it was referenced that Ash needed to bury the book under the original cabin, right? If I understood correctly and it wasn't gibberish, I'm hoping we have 2 more "get there" episodes and 3 solid ones in that cabin.

I'm beginning to question the half hour episode as well with so many characters. Evil Dead is traditionally stripped down to Ash and demons, and now non-Ash characters and storylines are being inserted. In the 5th episode, we still got ample Ash, just not enough. It was a worry I had about the 30 minute show compared to a longer one where the episode as a whole could feature subplots while still making sure to put Ash front and center. Ash was definitely not front and center of episode 5. I still liked it, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people don't just give people a half hour of Ash kicking ass and talking shit. A half hour show gives them perfect license to do that, how story heavy can you get in such a short time? Even the remake just kicked ass and kicked ass and kicked ass for the whole show.

Most importantly, the episodes are still paced really fast and the running time is flying by. Even in this 2 episode lull, at least it's not boring. I do think in time Ash tripping balls is gonna get more love. With nothing to base it on, episode 5 is my pick for what will become known as the season low. They'd have to literally take Ash out of the episode to get worse because Bruce is gonna make every moment he's on screen golden and that is enough to be saving grace.

11. Zombie Dude

Exactly. Now that characters are being added and certain subplots are getting squeezed in it feels way too rushed. It feels a bit like a skit sometimes as the episodes tend to spend most of their time in one general place.

12. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Good or bad, we still have a whole other season after this.

13. MisterTwister

Yeah but these aren't self contained episodes. This is one long story told over 10 episodes. Certain subplots and what aren't being squeezed in. It's all being told in a 5 hours (or less) lump.

It's not going to feel rushed when its seen altogether.

14. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

This is a great point. Slyly be thought of more like a Netflix show but unfortunately it's released week to week instead of all at once.

MisterTwister likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Pretty much. If it was released all at once like those shows then there'd be no issue there.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

It definitely could be a case of me just wanting to see it play out too much and not really digging the waiting, but this feels like "the middle", which makes perfect sense for a 5 hour event, just seems odd to take in such small doses. I said earlier, I am not used to this episodic TV stuff at all. Either way, I'm still very satisfied. I don't have any inkling they're just going to stop being the tongue in cheek gorefests we saw in the first three episodes. My thing is it just feels weird to have a 30 minute episode without Ash front and center ala the 5th one. But, it doesn't feel weird to have that in a 5 hour movie, say.
    ----

Side note, I'm wondering if this series will make me want to watch Evil Dead more. I don't care how much you like a movie, but you can only watch it so many damn times. I've seen 1 and AoD so many times it's insane and 2... at least 5 or 10? Two seasons of content will provide more than I'll ever tire of in this day and age (it was easier to watch a movie a bunch of times back in the day when everything wasn't so readily available) and not make it, how could I say, depressing, to revisit AoD for the 75th time, wishing for a sequel in the back of my mind. I was never satisfied with 3 Evil Dead movies. They were all so different, it seemed bigger than any other franchise. So this TV series has already fulfilled my wildest dreams, CGI be damned, we're getting AoD badass Ash with the gory shit from the original, exactly what I had pictured for closure in the series.

17. MisterTwister

See I'm not a fan of the "all at once!!" Netflix binge watch thing. I like the waiting. I like the anticipation. I like seeing the pieces of the puzzle come together piece by piece.

The binge watch thing is for the impatient people who must have it all RIGHT NOW. They are the Veruca Salts of the world.

TobalRox likes this.
  18. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I watch most shows week to week and even if I wait for something to hit Netflix I only watch an episode every few days. With that said, Daredevil I watched within 24 hours because it was one big story like a 13 hour movie.

This show is playing out more like a movie than a TV series.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

After two slower episodes, we finally get some hilarious and gory deadite action again :)
    And one of my wishes is coming true as well. Can't wait for the next episodes!!

20. MisterTwister

Episode 6 was definitely a step up from the last two. Can't wait for next week's ep.