Asian movie newbie! Help!

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Mortis, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I want to get into Asian movies, but I don't really know a damn thing about them. Are there any good R1 movies? I know about Versus and Junk, but are there any others? Give me a list. I'll end up getting a region free player at some point, so tell me what movies I should start off with. I always feel so lost when I come to this forum. Help me become a regular.

2. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Glad to see you're getting away from that crap Romero makes.

Another Heaven, Tomie, Black Angel, Tell Me Something, Shiri, Audition, Biozombie, Evil Dead Trap, The Untold Story, Dr. Lamb, Organ, Chaos, Freeze Me, Uzumaki are some of my personal horror favorites.

I'm partial to Japanese films and anything Beat Takeshi puts out is good and loaded with lots of Yakuza violence such as Violent Cop, Fireworks, Boiling Point and Sonatine. His latest film, a remake of Zatoichi the story of a blind samurai, is great and you can view the trailer at
    http://office-kitano.co.jp/zatoichi/ give it time to load and the buttons will switch to English when you move your mouse over them. Two movies that you shouldn't miss are The Seven Samurai, which I think is the greatest film ever made, and Jigoku a great story of one man's journey to hell.

Brother of Darkness and Daughter of Darkness are recommended to sastisfy any deviant cravings you may have. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2003
  3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm still inexperienced with Asian horror, but I can easily say that every film I have seen has been at least pretty good. Which is good to know. BATTLE ROYALE is great to start with. It's not horror, but it's a fantastic movie. VERSUS, JUNK, and STACY are also a lot of fun. AUDITION is great, and VISITOR Q has some fucked up moments. And EVIL DEAD TRAP is a lot of fun also.

4. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Some excellent recommendation DevilMan. One of my all time favorites is "Red to Kill", I hightly recommend that one Mortis.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, I absolutely loved Battle Royale, so I'd suggest seeing that, even though it's not horror.

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Thanks for the info, guys. :)

Is there a R0/R1 version of Battle Royale?

7. Numania

Numania Guest

Not particularly horror, but Tetsuo is great. I love that movie. It's like a Japanese Eraserhead, but whacked out on speed and technology.

8. Numania

Numania Guest

If we're talking about just Japanese movies, check out Tampopo. That is a funny one. Although not on dvd, Early Spring is a fantastic film. Ozu was a great director, and I cannot wait until Tokyo Story is put out by Criterion in the coming months. Also, if you get the chance, check out Black Lizard (I think that's what it's called). It stars a transvestite that plays a jewel thief or something like that. Psychedelic and very cool, I would highly recommend it.

9. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

www.kfccinema.com is your one stop shop for all information related to asian cinema.:D

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, I'd avoid going to Asian movie sites like kfc at first, since everyone there already loves Asian flicks and are used to the differences between them and western movies.

As a newbie, I'd throw out a recommendation for the original Ring (aka Ringu), as you'd have an American version to compare to, and you can see the differences to see if you like the Asian style more. And Battle Royale is just fun all around, can't go wrong there.

Avoid something like Versus at first, which you may find a bit repetitive (I like Asian films, and I found it very repetitive). Evil Dead Trap just gets too damn weird at the end.

Remember when you recommend films to a newbie, to consider that newbies may not be familiar with the styles of Asian film, and too much too soon may be more of a turn-off.

11. Trout

Trout Guest

When you mean Asian films are you just talking about horror or other kinds as well? There are a whole lot of HK action film out there that you shouldn't miss.

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I agree with what Paff said. One of the first Asian horror movies I seen was Untold Story. You should definetly make that one of your first viewings.

13. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm on the process of obtaining a few different flicks, but I finished watching Junk last night. I saw the first 45 minutes of it the day before and didn't think it was that great up to that point, but the last 20-25 minutes were a lot better. I like weird movies, so a lot of these Asian films sound like they'll be right up my alley.

14. Parasite4202

Parasite4202 Guest

BioZombie is one of my favorites.

15. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

When I started the search for our favourite Asian horror movies, the following (excellent) list was the outcome from this forum (in reverse order):

The Untold Story
    Uzumaki
    Tell Me Something
    Kairo
    Evil Dead Trap
    The Eye
    Ichi the Killer
    Battle Royale
    Audition
    The Ring

You really can't go wrong with any of these films (although some have yet to make their way over to R1...).

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I've been gathering up some flicks, and so far I have Uzumaki, Evil Dead Trap, Evil Dead Trap 2, Battle Royale, Wild Zero, Versus and Junk. I've only watched Junk so far, but it was pretty cool. I'll get around to checking out the others. I love checking out new stuff. I really appreciate everyone giving me their recommendations.

17. drown021

drown021 Guest

Good thread Mortis.I have been wondering the same thing about asian movies.The only one I have is Biozombie wich is comedy horror,but I really enjoyed it.I have been tempted to pick up some other ones like Junk,Stacy,audition etc but havent yet.Maybe I will pick up a couple and venture into the bliss that is asian horror.If the movies suck,everyone here is buying me beer.:glasses:

18. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Well i really enjoyed the following :

Audition
    Shaolin Soccer (wild but non-horror obviously!)
    The Eye
    Ring 2 (yes the sequel rocks!!)
    Evil Dead Trap
    A Chinese Torture Chamber Story 1 & 2
    Dark Water
    Kairo
    The Ebola Syndrome
    The Untold Story

And anything by Takeshi Kitano! :)

19. I would also reccomend http://www.kfccinema.com/ to you. I found that board and asked the exact same question you are asking and got a ton of reccomendations. You can see that thread at:

http://www.kfccinema.com/temple/viewtopic.php?t=5437

That site also has some pretty great reviews. You can also check out jpreview.com and http://www.midnighteye.com/.

As far as recommendations, it really depends on what you're into. The two films that made me want to explore Asian cinema were Battle Royale and Visitor Q. Battle Royale is definately the more recommendable of the two - very fun movie that has some good action, drama and dark humor. Visitor Q you have to be a little patient with as its rather absurdist in nature and has some VERY bizarre scenes. If you like weird over the top scenes then I would DEFINATELY see Visitor Q. It's worth seeing for the hysterical necrophilia sequences alone. Also, if you have a fetish for lactation you should see it as well :)

Hope that helps

Hoodoo Operator

20. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I personally don't consider Junk a great movie. My picks are:

Battle Royale
    Audition
    Ichi the Killer
    Cure
    Pulse
    Tetsuo
    Ringu

Really just about anything from Takeshi Kitano, Shinya Tsukamoto, Takeshi Miike or Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Actually, the BEST place to learn about Japanese cinema (they don't cover Chinese, Korean, etc) is http://www.midnighteye.com The articles are very well written, not like most of the fanboy e-zines out there (no offense to 'em, many are quite good) and they've intruduced me to movies I might've never found otherwise.