Asian movie newbie! Help!

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Mortis, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

Oh, damn, Hoodoo! I somehow missed the last four posts before mine, so I didn't notice you linking Midnight Eye!

I'll just second your recommendation. :D

2. It's all good. I rely on kfccinema.com more than anything but you're right the material on Midnight Eye is very well written. As I'm new to the Asian films as well I have a rather short list of faves but here's mine so far:

Visitor Q (so, so wrong.. :) )
    Happiness of Katakuris
    Tetsuo
    Battle Royale
    Heroic Trio (mainly for the final battle scene - soooo much fun)
    Versus (drags in parts but pretty damn fun overall)
    Chinese Ghost Story (GREAT fantasy/swordplay/humor/romance film with slight horror overtones..LOVED this)

I still have to watch Flirtong Scholar and Ichi the Killer (saw parts of Flirtong Scholar on tv a decade ago and loved it) but will probably love those. I'm excited to see Tricky Brains and Uzumaki (just ordered from sensasian.com).

I thought The Eye was very well made but a bit slow and dont really understand the hype where Evil Dead Trap is concerned. I found it kinda boring, with some stupid characters and didnt find the gore scenes as plentiful or disturbing as had been promised.

Hoodoo Operator

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Is there something strange that I actually like Executioners more?

The fight scenes aren't half as good in Executioners, but a lot of Heroic Trio is pretty silly. I thought the sequel was more consistent throughout. Well, that or just the idea of Michelle Yeoh, Anita Mui, and Maggie Cheung taking a bath together...

4. etale

etale Guest

My favorites are UZUMAKI, RINGU, RINGU 2, GHOST ACTRESS and DARK WATER (Except for the ending, which goes too far over the top).

5. etale

etale Guest

Re: DARK WATER. What did you think of the ending? I felt it went too far. The final scene, I felt was unnecessary.

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Hoodoo Operator or anyone, any chance you could give us just a little more on Chinese Ghost Story? Is it scary, action/adventure, or all of the above perhaps? I can't really tell from reading the descriptions. I have had a lot of folks recommend that too me of late and am very close to picking that baby up but want just a tiny bit more information first.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

7. Ichi

Ichi Guest

Visitor Q
    Tetsuo: Iron Man
    Tetsuo: Body Hammer
    Ringu
    The Eye
    Dark Water (not THAT awsome, but still)
    Ichi the Killer
    Kairo
    Versus
    Uzumaki

8. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Believe it or not Chinese Ghost Story is a love story. It's got your typcial HK action/flying and bad but good SFX. Overall I enjoyed it, I can't say the same for the 2 sequels.

9. Chinese Ghost Story is definately a love story but not your typical love story. It has some fun martial arts, some silly slapstick-ish comics and elements of horror. There's NOTHING scary about the movie at all (except maybe the Clash of the Titans level special effects for the skeletons) but there are a few evil spirits that make the romance difficult. It's a Chinese Romeo and Juliet where the difficulties are caused by the living/nonliving status and the fact that the ghost the main character is in love with is bound to an Evil Tree Spirit that is 1000s of years old and uses her to lure men to their deaths.

It's hard to describe but trust me its a very cool movie.

Hoodoo Operator

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Thanks for the information guys. I am glad you told me it was a love story, I would have been taken aback had I watched it thinking scares and gotten love. It still sounds really good though, because any movie that melds love, martial arts, silliness, and a little horror sounds like something I want to see. No wonder everyone and their brother was recommending that to me. I think I will try and procure it this week.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

What's Bio Zombie like?? anyone care to give a mini review?

is the R1 release a good version?

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Bio Zombie rocks, if you're ready for some good cheese. It's more or less a NoTLD/DoTD for Korea (or China? Dunno) A group of people are trapped within a mall faced with hordes of Zombies. The movie is really hilarious at points, in fact its more of a horror comedy than anything. It starts off slow but once the zombies start movie in it really picks up, and has some great shooting style and quirky things, like a very video game-ish scene where the characters of the movie 'rotate while standing still' as their 'stats' are displayed as if a character select screen, including 'weapon of choice' : P. It's really a fun movie and I reccomend it.

The dvd has an okay transfer...probably as good as its going to get for a low budget asian film. kinda scratchy, but not totally horrible. There are no extras as far as I remember. As far as I know the R1 is probably the best. But if you're in the mood for a cheezy/funny zombie movie, this is it. The makeup is sooo corny, heh heh

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Just posting to thank Devildeadman and Hoodoo Operator for the information on Chinese Ghost Story. Going into it knowing what to expect made a difference, I was able to relax and just enjoy the hell out of it. I thought that movie was a whole lot of fun.

14. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Aeon. Aoiookami review was pretty much what I thought about Bio-Zombie. It's a decent movie, with lots of comedy. As long as you don't go in expecting a gore fest I think you'll get a kick out of it.

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

BioZombie is from Hong Kong. My favortie part of the movie are the character names. It's a fun movies to watch with friends.

16. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

1x1... glad to hear you enjoyed Chinese Ghost Story, it is a great movie. Now you need to check out the 2nd and 3rd installments.

17. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I finally got around to seeing Battle Royale. I was getting fucked up while doing so, but I liked it. I'll have to watch it a few more times to get a better feel for it.