Avengers: Age of Ultron review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Apr 22, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    Directed by Joss Whedon

Joss Whedon is left with the daunting task of following up his first Avengers film that is one of the most successful films of all time with this sequel that must also balance all the chess pieces of the other Marvels films prior and after this one. For the most part he is successful, as the film is ore consistently funny with character's that are richer and their actors even more comfortable in the roles. New characters are excellent and well cast and mostly respectful of the source material where possible.
    However the film does feel a bit rushed in some spots and some of the computer effects are not up to the standard expected. All of this i forgivable but what is not as easy to look past is a slight shift in the style of shooting the action. They have moved away from the smoother, easier to follow and more impactful style of the first Avengers and a little closer to the shaky cam disorienting style of Captain America: Winter Soldier. It was not as bad as Winter Soldier in every action scene, the finale was a little clearer but it probably did not help that I saw it on an extremely large screen.
    In the end, despite some poorly made action scenes and being a little rushed here and there we still have a top class blockbuster that advances these heroic character's stories. I dare say most will be entertaining and have many a laugh at the tight dialogue.

7.5/10

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man
    2. Captain America: The FIrst Avenger
    4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    5. Thor
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Thor: The Dark World
    10. Iron Man 3
    11. Iron Man 2

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Any of yall seen this yet?

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Just finished watching this. Plenty of action, a little too much humor, about what you should expect. I preferred the first film but any Marvel fans should certainly see this on the big screen.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I liked the humour, I found it much more consistent but did not have any of the crowd roaring moments of the first. Overall I prefer the first film too.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

As someone who has never read a Marvel comic book or seen any cartoons, I found this highly entertaining! Thor aside (I think it's the costuming and over-the-top accent), I love these movies. Again, I have no expectations going in so I'm sure fans will be much less easily pleased.

7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I found it enjoyable overall. But, it also had a pretty heavy "been-there-done-that" vibe

I have to admit to being a bit burned out with Phase II. With the exception of Winter Soldier, these are really beginning to lose the "wow" factor with me. I'm sure it's just me, but I am really getting worn down on the epic destruction phase of these films. While I was never really lost during all the chaos of the long climax, I found that I got numb and lost engagement a number of times. I kept wishing the film would pull it back to some more small scale numbers.

There a decent number of plot surprises, but I think there were a larger number of tropes and fill-in-the-blank moments to the script. They were handled with some panache with the snappy dialogue, but that failed to cover the overall pattern that seems to be turning more obvious.

Scarlet Witch/Elizabeth Olsen is a nice addition and the transition from what I guess will be the "Old Avengers" to the "New Avengers" was nicely handled. And Quicksilver was fine, even if it wasn't quite the scene-stealer that was in Xmen.

The dialogue is good and snappy as expected, but, again, lacked freshness.

In the end, I found it another solid entry in the whole Avengers cycle, but, sadly, it didn't really bring anything that new to the table and will probably be forgotten by me in a relatively short amount of time.

8. Anaestheus

And, since thing did this for reference, I'll throw mine in as well:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    3. The Avengers
    4. Thor
    5. Captain America: The First Avenger
    6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    7. Thor: The Dark World
    8. Iron Man 3
    9. Iron Man
    10. Iron Man 2

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

It was entertaining enough, but there is nothing about this that makes me want to revisit it. It seems this film exists just to be a launching pad for phase three of the Marvel Studios Universe. The twins barely served a purpose, I honestly feel like they could have easily been eliminated from the story and you wouldn't have to change much of the plot. Ultron was way too jokey during the first half of they movie that, when it came to the climax, I couldn't take him as a serious threat. Then you got all this silly character development that doesn't really move the plot forward
    The Bruce Banner/Black Widow love interest, Hawkeye's secret family, etc.
    , which only made the film drag. A descent watch, but I could only really recommend to die hard Marvel fans.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I enjoyed it. Hulk is always a favorite character of mine so nice to see him get a little more attention in the story. Hopefully they do a standalone hulk at some point but since everything for the next five years is mapped out, lets hope Phase IV...

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

After this movie, how could Tony Stark NOT be bankrupt from lawsuits? Everything was his fault.

12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Absolutely, if there is one thing sure to shake up the Marvel movie universe, it would be from the intervention of intelligent ants.

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Movie pun.

14. Anaestheus

It would help explain why they are releasing Ant-Man this early in the series

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Very underwhelmed by this--and I loved the first. What few "character moments" there were wound up being overcome by platitudes. Characters spoke at one another as opposed to with, and with all that talking this was still overly complicated (We needed TWO robot characters? How many gems are floating around? Why are they important?), while Ultron's "motive" remains laughably simple: "Humans must die because they are humans." OK. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were rushed, flat. All the CGI looked great, of course; Hulk is amazing to watch. (But the gray rubble settings grew tiresome.)

Too little Whedon in this with too much comic book nonsense, even for a comic book movie.

IMAX 3D was very impressive, however.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. Truthfully, with the exception of Iron Man 3, the Marvel Universe films have been of a pretty consistent quality. They're not great art, but they're definitely entertaining. If I were including Incredible Hulk, it would probably come in between Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, but I feel like it was kind of ret-conned in - it didn't feel like it fit, and I wasn't really keen on Ed Norton as Banner.

1. The Avengers
    2. Captain America: The First Avenger
    3. Iron Man
    4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. Thor
    8. Iron Man 2
    9. Thor: The Dark World
    10. Iron Man 3

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!