[B]Sunshine - Sci-fi/Horror (director of 28 days later)[/B]

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitfire, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Sunshine - Sci-fi/Horror (director of 28 days later)

Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

Opening March 16, 2007, the film once again pairs Boyle with writer Alex Garland and producer Andrew Macdonald, who previously teamed up for the thinking person's zombie film, 28 Days Later.

Rose Byrne, Cliff Curtis, Chris Evans, Troy Garity, Cillian Murphy, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong and Michelle Yeoh star.

Has anyone heard of this upcoming film? It's very reminiscent to Event Horizon. So will you be buying a ticket or waiting for it on DVD?

Link has pictures and info on the film.http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/8

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Well, I'm excited! I love Danny Boyle's work. He's a brilliant director who delves deep into his stories.

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Doh! Just the other week, IMDB had this listed as coming out in the Fall. Sad thing is, I trusted them despite knowing better.

Anyway, yes, I've heard of this one, and am very excited about it. It sounds like one hell of a film. I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Boyle's 28 Days Later, but this film's storyline is far more intriguing than that one ever was, and Boyle is certainly a talented filmmaker.

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

and 28 Days Later is not a zombie film!!!! Jeeez!

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I didn't like 28 DAYS LATER, but this might be interesting.

At first I thought the title of the thread was about a remake of BLUE SUNSHINE!

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I loved 28 Days Later. Hell, I loved Shallow Grave and Trainspotting, too. Never saw The Beach or that Cameron Diaz film, but I trust Danny Boyle and co. and this film sounds like a blast. Plus it as Cillian Murphy in it, so it is required viewing for me! :p

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Danny Boyle being behind it is enough for me. I'm there.

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Sounds awesome. I'm there in the theater.

9. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Well i love Rose Bryne, so its off to a great start.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Sounds like a remake of Solar Crisis or something...hopefully this turns out better than the abysmal 28 Days Later (that film completely hit the wall after the first half-hour...)

11. Luna

Luna Guest

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am SO there. :lol:

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Well, it reminds me more of Event Horizon than anything else, not Solaris.:D

I really like the plot; end of the world, save the planet, a dying star, . . . and the possibilities of a mysterious spaceship appearing from beyond the unknown. The cast is good, director as well, plot is there. Very excited!:glasses:

I too loved 28 Days Later, and I've been waiting for something from Danny Boyle ever since.

The link on the site shows some pictures on the effects and an intro by Boyle.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

He actually has done a film in the meantime, called Millions. It's more family-oriented than the rest of his work, but it got good reviews. Haven't seen it yet, though.

14. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

AICN posted links for the teaser and the new trailer for Sunshine!

It looks gooooooood. I can't wait! :D

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

When is the release date? Anyone know?

(Woot! 2000th post!)

16. Looks nice. I'll check it out.

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Cool visuals. Not so sure about the narration. "Save the sun"? Ehhhh. The ship's name is Icarus II? I get it, because that dumb kid flew into the sun, right? Sweet name for a spaceship that's flying into the sun.

But...okay, cool visuals.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I thought 28 days later was great - overhype made it a let down for many- but i thought it was muuuuuch better than 99% of the stuff that has been out in theatres since then horror wise

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Just came from seeing Sunshine and it was absolutely brilliant. Easily the most thrilling film I've seen in a long, long time.

Danny Boyle has to be one of the most visually inventive directors working today. His shooting style, his editing style, his overall narrative style, is simply put a joy to watch. It may not be to everyone's liking, but if you're in the mood for something fresh, then Sunshine has some nifty things going on.

Not that the narrative or plot is "fresh" in a sense, but rather how Boyle tells the story. The visual style he utilizes in the third act is awesome. Really no other word to describe it.

Talking about the third act, I don't want to give anything away, so consider the following a minor spoiler concerning the narrative rather than the plot ... All you 28 Days Later haters are likely to be
    annoyed by this film as well. As one funny critic has pointed out, Alex Garland has a tendency to go batshit insane during the climaxes of his films, and this one is no exception. Although the film is for most of the running time grounded in realism (sci-fi realism, that is), the third act really pulls out all the stops. I'm guessing a lot of people are going to think Garland's last plot point is a lame, clich├ęd way to generate some thrills ... and in a sense it is ... but it WORKS. And works so well that I just can't criticize the film too much for it. Also, fans of slasher and/or Event Horizon are bound to get a little kick out of it ... :D

There are several scenes of nail-biting tension, the look is extraordinary and Boyle really outdoes himself in terms of telling a story in a visual way. That this comes at the expense of characterization and logic is something people are just going to have to accept or not. I mean, there is some characterization but, well, you know - this is sci-fi, and just like some of these things get less attention in horror films, we should be able to forget and forgive.

I heartily recommend it! Great fun allover.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sorry to be a dissenting opinion...........

What a full on awesome f*cking movie this is!

Just watched it, and it's out and out one of the best films I've seen this year. Final third be damned, I think it was brilliant. It's got Event Horizon written all over it, only this is even better.

I'm absolutely blown away by the film - and the DVD looks and sounds stunning. I was washed away in the beauty and horror involved. The ending was dramatic, but the entry of a spiritual element was brilliantly realized.

Damn this is good.