[B]Sunshine - Sci-fi/Horror (director of 28 days later)[/B]

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitfire, Jun 21, 2006.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah, but did you like it? ;)

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

A brilliant film indeed. I caught this in early August, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Due to the dim bulbs at Fox, I had to drive all the way to North Richland Hills to see this one, but never has a "film trek" been more worth the effort. For me personally, this is the best film in years.

This film is pure, unadulterated tension. I actually became physically uncomfortable (sweating, tingling, the works) due to the tension and claustrophobia on display. Not just your regular claustrophobia either, but claustrophobia of the mind as well. I felt every bit of psychosis, loneliness and pressure that the characters felt. To be that far from home for such a long time, all cramped up in a ship headed for the searing heat of the sun... I felt that. I rarely feel this way for film characters, but here, I felt the depth and the seriousness of their situation. I felt sucker punched every time one of them died. It's sort of hard to explain, but Sunshine just hammered me in a way that more disturbing films aren't capable of. This film nails the horrors of psychological exhaustion as flawlessly as any film I've seen.

It helps that the cast was uniformly excellent. Each character had their own unique voice, and their own unique reaction to the situation at hand.
    The demise of Kaneda was especially effective to me. The raw emotional reactions from the actors sold it to me big time.

I have no complaints about the third act. None. It was clearly being built up to all throughout the film.
    Just look at the spiritual awakening the sun inspires in Searle, or the first video message we see from Pinbacker. And yes, spirituality is used to fascinating effect, adding a deep layer of personal poignancy to the film. One of the key themes of the Sunshine, after all, is man's relationship with the sun itself, the source of all life. It also allowed for the creepy aspect of Pinbacker posing the bodies of his victims.

Unlike many people, I actually loved the filming technique used to shoot Pinbacker. It reminded me of the visible heatwaves one often sees rising off highway asphalt. The introduction of Pinbacker in the observation room, by the way, is a classic scene. Absolutely classic.

This film may be the one to push me into the whole HD/Blu-Ray thing. I have had virtually no desire to upgrade formats, but this film was so astonishingly visual, it has single-handedly opened me to the idea. I don't know if I've ever seen more beautifully realized visuals than those in this film. Couple that with the booming sound design, and I'm so relieved that I managed to catch this theatrically. It was such an experience, and I'd like to replicate that experience as closely as possible with each future viewing.

It's a stunning film that I could discuss endlessly. Fox really dropped the ball with promotion and distribution. Sunshine deserved so much better.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Was this released at all in America? Or will it be released? If it's coming, then I think I'll go again. This was such a fantastic film.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Pretty sure you missed it. It was very limited release. I was lucky to see it in Toronto, even though I'll admit the final act lost me a bit. I've been really looking forward to a DVD so I can check it out again without the grumpy person sitting next to me that kept distracting me during the film.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

when is the region 1 dvd release date saw the trailer on the 28 weeks later dvd looks awesome

6. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I don't know if there was any other thread for this--this seemed to be the best the search engine turned up.

Overall...I'd say above average which these days is pretty damn good. People are complaining about the last third, but I actually enjoyed that portion. I liked the whole second half of the movie--my complaint is the movie takes too much time setting things up. I almost lost interest, but was glad I stayed with it.

A lot of the story was fairly predictable, but I didn't have a problem with that, I enjoyed how it was done. When I have problems with a movie's pacing or storytelling I'd much prefer a slower beginning than to have it lose momentum towards the end or in the middle [like 28 DAYS LATER, which I've never really liked for that reason], so it wasn't enough to wreck the movie for me by any means. Still feel like they could have cut several minutes from the movie's first half, though.

7. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Loved it also!

8. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Saw this one the day before yesterday and liked it very much. However, as is so often the case with movies, there's a lot more there than meets the eye. A lot should have been worked out more properly.

What happened to the captain of the Icarus 1? Obviously, he became mad and abandoned the mission our lead characters are defending so strongly. One can only assume the other crew held the mission in an equally high regard.

This is a guess, but I think they're hinting at the solution by means of the Dr. Searle character. He's fascinated by the engulfing light of the sun, which gives him an almost transcendental experience. As the movie progresses, you can see his lips start to chap and his facial skin becomes burned because of the exposure to sunlight. The captain of the Icarus 1 is completely burned. I'm guessing the captain of the first spaceship lost himself in his own fascination for this transcendental experience and abandoned the mission for a greater, more spiritual idea. I think this goes pretty deep, gives a motive to the actions of the killer and makes the movie so much more profound. However, they should have elaborated more on this, because the killers motives aren't very clear, which makes him your average slasher killer.

This is a movie that requires repeated viewings and will probably get better every time you watch it. It's been a while since we've had a great scifi flick like this one.

PS: I've read some of the previous posts and I agree wholeheartedly with Cujo.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I thought this was a fantastic film. I thought the film picked up momentum as it went along and got better in the second half. I thought the cast did a good job overall as well. The blu-ray looks quite good. I'm definitely glad I picked this one up.

10. Fidochippy

Fidochippy Guest

Got this one on Blu Ray and man does it ever look pretty!

This is a movie that will get in your head and stay there for a very long time. I was obsessed with how many layers there are on the story and how many ways people could be left with the interpretation of the film.

This is the best and most percise sci film since 2001.

Hands down worth the upgrade to Blu Ray!

Now, go see Cloverfield cause that is one amazing film in itself!

11. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i liked Sunshine a lot. Great EFX, love the soundtrack, good story, had the feel of 2010 The Year We Make Contact. my only complaint is when "Freddy Kreuger" shows up. The movie didn't need a semi-slasher horror element. Without those scenes this would have been a perfect film. As it stands it's flawed but awe-inspiring.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoyed it quite a lot. Some of the "science" was quite a bit fictionalized in the film, but overall it was still believable. I do agree with KamuiX, that it was somewhat like Solar Crisis in its basic idea structure.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Watched it last night and really enjoyed it! There hasn't been an epic Scifi film in space like this in a while!

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

This is a film that seems to keep calling me back to it. I saw it yesterday for the 3rd time and I'm really starting to love it. I love the visuals and the whole mind opening cerebral aspect to the film. I'm still debating weather the inclusion of Pinbacker was a necessity or ultimately a contrived plot hurdle. The horror aspect of the film was where the film stubbles. I understand he was under the spell of the sun but I feel the notion of the Sun being a hypnotic, halusinagenic force is something that could of been explored further. It would also be interesting to look into whether Pinbacker himself was only a halucination.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009