Baby Driver (2017) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 20, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Baby Driver (2017, Edgar Wright)

After Writer/Director Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz) departed Marvels Ant-Man film after working on it for eight years only to have Disney/Marvel wanting to make changes he decided to get straight back to work on an original film he had kicking around. This is that film about a young getaway driver (Ansel Elgort) who finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail, after being coerced into working for a crime boss (Kevin Spacey).

This is a very different film for Edgar Wright with an all new cinematic language for him and a straighter less manic tone. The use of music in the film cannot be overstated as it is meshed into the story and is used as a way of telling the story of everything from the action to subtler moments. The film in many ways is a musical but not in the traditional sense. The first thirty minutes are wonderful cinema and while the rest of the film is good it doesn't reach the initial heights.

In the end I admire Edgar Wrights creative attempts here to deliver a unique experience and to not rest on his laurels by trying some new things. However I do not think the end results (as admirable as they may be) quite live up to his consistent and wonderful body of work he has delivered prior.

7/10

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Natas and x666x like this.
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Cool review. I agree there was a little something missing. However, it is still definitely worth checking out. It is its own thing and in a cool way.

thing likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I love this movie. Can't recommend it enough.

4. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Copied from another thread......good review, I agreed with everything.

Caught a matinee of this. It was a pretty cool little flick. Entertaining throughout, really cool soundtrack......everything from Queen to Barry White. Violence was there but never over the top. Several deaths, both lead women were absolutely beautiful. I recommend checking it out on the big screen, very enjoyable.

thing likes this.
  5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this one today and thought it was really good. Very slick, interesting characters, great music - 9/10 for me

Natas and thing like this.
  6. sade

sade Member

As a HUGE fan of Edgar Wright I thought that was total garbage. It reminds me for when Kevin Smith did "Cop Out" to appeal to the mainstream audience. I am glad it made good money though. Maybe he will team up with Simon Peg for the next one.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

pretty harsh, K smith could never have one of his films edited as well as this one.. :)

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Target has 20% off movies on their Cartwheel app. Makes this only $15.99 on release week!

The movie is so good it's worth double that. Just bought mine today, can't wait to see it again!

othervoice1 likes this.