Back in the game with a new player

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Dave, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

It seems like the type of thing people (not me) would lose a lot.

Rhett and In were chatting about how so many used LD players don't have remotes. I think many end up in closets and those remotes just end up in sock world.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Remotes easily get forgotten. Hell, last month I sold my old plasma 42" to a good friend. We took all the time to pack it in his car securely, etc etc, then 4 hours later he calls and says "you never gave me the remote". Sure enough, I didn't.

Then there's the rather ugly truth that a lot of the electronic goods we're buying on E-bay may very well be stolen. Most thieves don't take the time to find the remote when they're stealing A/V gear.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ack! I should have paid closer attention to the connections of the HD+. The output to the television is that weird VGA (but not VGA) to component cable. I don't have one. Sure, it was only 3 bucks at Monoprice, but I bumped up the shipping to overnight so I have it before the weekend (had I known I'd need it, I'd have ordered one on Sunday but could have chosen normal shipping). Oh well, I'm only out an extra 3 bucks on the overnight. But I can't check it out till Friday now.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

What's the verdict Paffendorf???

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Going to do some comparison testing tonight. I've got the HD+ connected, and it did not wow me. I do like the user interface and remote (WAY better than the Faroudja), but I don't know if I like the picture. I watched Fall of the House of Usher over the weekend, and there was one scene where Vincent Price was playing the lute. He held the lute at an angle, and the strings were like stairsteps. That might be a good scene to do a A/B comparison to, unfortunately I only have one component in on my Plasma, so I'll have to unplug cables to do it. I'm thinking of using my phone (a Nokia Lumia with HD) to do the screenshots.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

I definitely find it superior but clearly there are issues with the one you sent to me. HD+ wins on default settings in my Samsung plasma. I have been enjoying discs everyday. I got the Video Essentials yesterday too, and the DVD today with filter.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dave, here's a side-by-side comparison of the Iscan and the Faroudja. I think there's a very, very slight improvement with the Faroudja. Look at the lettering of "Snell & Wilcox". It's slightly finer with the Faroudja. I think the Iscan has a little more blooming (a term you're probably very familiar with if you went through the Video Essentials disc). I might be able to dial it down a bit.

Either way, I don't think there's a clear-cut better solution. I'll probably keep the Iscan and the Faroudja, and sell my other Faroudja.

Attached Files:

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The jury is still out how the Iscan handles LD, but I used it this weekend to scale an HD signal for a film festival. It was amazing.

We have a hard drive that we got from overseas that contains a thousand or so old Chinese movies. The output is HDMI. In the past, I used an old Gefen scaler but the picture was total ass. We had to though, as the projector doesn't have HDMI inputs, and it's not HDCP compliant (meaning when I try to send it an HD signal, the hard drive will shut down the output due to the non-HDCP compliance).

I've since acquired some HDCP-removing hardware, but there ended up being a sizing problem. It was only putting out an image that was a quarter of the size of the screen. No one in their right mind would pay to watch a movie in a theater like that. So I went home and got my Iscan, and with a little tweaking I got a gorgeous image that filled up the screen. In scope, no less!

I don't know if I'll make it a part of my HT, but it will definitely be used in future film festivals!

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm glad I kept all these video processors; my Faroudja died on me over the weekend. Honestly, it was a relief, as my first thought was that the laserdisc player died. I popped in A Nightmare on Elm Street (RIP, Wes!), and there was a ton of black dots on the picture. Oddly enough, it played fine just a few days prior when I spun the Criterion LD of Kurosawa's Stray Dog. The OSD of the Faroudja was fine, leading me to believe it was the player.

As a last ditch effort, I bypassed the Faroudja and fed the video signal directly into the HDTV, and the picture didn't have the black dots. Whew! My 704 is good, but the Faroudja is not. I tried accessing the service menu of the Faroudja and couldn't, so I think it's on its last legs.

Now I have to dig through the garage. I think I still have another Faroudja NRS, and if not, I do have the Iscan HD+, which right now is only used at my film festival for Mystery Kung Fu Theater.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Believe it or not I sold my LD player. Haven't used it in a while. I would like to get an even higher end one but at this point I can't trust my nearly 3-year old twins not to wreck it. Going to give it a year and then hunt down possibly a high end muse capable player.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dave:

I see earlier in this thread you had your player serviced by Kurtis Bahr. Do you have his contact info? I wanna see about replacing the sticky pad on the clamping mechanism. I took it apart to clean it last week, and there's a a small section where the pad has worn off. I'm hoping he can just send the part, rather than me packing up my precious 704

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just got my grip ring from Pioneer. Hope it fixes my 704, or it might be in the mail to Kurtis...

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

He did good for me. It's always stressful shipping an LD player no matter how well you pack it.