"bad" moments in "good" movies

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Nah man, the alternate ending to The Descent was absolutely fantastic, well-handled and realistic. The US ending was confusing, poorly put together and cheesy as hell.

~Matt

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The US ending is the alt. ending.Everywhere else had the full version, which is far better.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I always liked the the "original" ending to the Descent. It's a different kind of ending and I know of people who thought it was too much, but I think it fits the film perfectly.

How does the US version end? In spoiler tags, please?

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I am never such which ending for The Descent is which.

I prefer the ending where

She wakes up trapped in the cave. Forever!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

she doesn't wake up back in the cave (which indicated the escape was all a dream). Implying that she DOES escape.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, it just cuts the last scene out, making it look like
    her and Juno escaped, cuz it cuts right where she has the nightmare of stopping the Jeep and Juno jumps out of the back seat. Juno jumps, credits roll, audiences groan (they did at the sneak preview I went to).

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Oh wow, that sounds ... well ... awful!

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

It is. I loved every second of the movie when I saw it in the theater until I saw that ending. But luckily the original unrated version is the most widely seen now.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Sorry guys I just watched Halloween again last night so I have to add a few more.

1. When Laurie bumps into and is startled by Annie's Dad after she just saw the shape, she is smiling before she even bumped into him.

2. Lynda's sex scene- Who places their lite Jackolantern on the Nightstand beside their bed? They didn't have one when they came in.

3. When Laurie and Annie are smoking the joint and put it out because they saw her Dad. Why didn't they just keep driving? The Dad didn't see them yet.

4. When Tommy keeps telling Laurie he See's the boogyman outside why does Laurie brush it off like it's just a kid and his imagination. She's only been freaked out all day by a mysteries guy in a mask.

5. When Laurie is trying to get Tommy to open the door. Why does Tommy take his time like it's probably nothing. He's also been freaked out all day by seeing the same guy in a mask.

6. When Lynda is being choked on the phone after calling Laurie and Laurie thinks she is having an orgasm. I don't know that scene just borders on camp.

7. The scene when the boyfriend is hanging in the closet. When did Myres have the time to hang him up like that?

8. Who carves a pumkin on Holloween night after the kids have gone home?

I don't know maybe I've watched this film to many times:)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Oh I also re watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre the other day.

It was pretty dam perfect, the only thing that bugged me is that when "The Hitchhiker" gets hit by the truck. The impact was great but he had way to much time to get out of the way.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I guess you've never been stoned before. :p

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've noticed all of that before, but the one thing that always bothers me about Halloween (great movie that it is) is one that you don't mention: that after Tommy let's Laurie into the house it takes Michael literally 3 to 5 seconds to locate an unlocked window, crawl through, and hide before Laurie notices the wind blowing the curtain. The scene could have really benefitted from a little padding out to make it believable.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually it gets me pariniod so more reason to keep driving:)

I actually felt bad posting that because it's still a great film. So now I'll point out it's strong points.

1. Amazing cinematography. It really makes you feel like this could be happening to the street next to you. No MTV quick cuts, it allows you to really bask in it's surroundings.

2. Amazing score - so simple but so effective, it just drives the film forward, it's a character in itself..

3. Great Tone, I can't really describe it. It's almost like there is an evil presence hovering over the neighbourhood like a calm before the storm.

OK I feel better now:)

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

A newer one, mentioned elsewhere but worth repeating:

Children of Men

The film is damn near perfect - lots of great cmera work, performances, and direction. And the writing was great too! They almost held out and didn't make a single scene that didn't take me out of the world and ask: wtf? But - when the battle in the building stops - the guns, grenades, the rocket launches - and the unifromed soldiers fell to their knees and started praying, and went dewy eyed, and found their feminine side - just to start shotting again moments later - the film totally lost me. Really sad they tried that, a HUGE flaw in an otherwise perfect gem. I both laughed AT the film, and cringed at the same time.

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Lots of funny stuff in DAWN OF THE DEAD too....more than a few scenes with smiling zombies, and one great one where Savini looks like he's having a good time with his zombie buddies. I also love the "Superman" zombie.

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD has a few scenes that just out-and-out show the zombies looking like they're about to crack up.

One thing in the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD I always wondered....why didn't the Cemetery Zombie eat Johnny? He didn't even bite him!

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

One more that bugs me..

In Psycho when the detective gets stabbed and is falling down the stairs waving his arms. I don't know it just seems distractingly hammy compared to the rest of the film.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Funny. I've never met ANYONE before who has ever confused HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD with being a "good" movie. :lol:

18. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I can see why that scene would take someone out of the film, but for me it did just the opposite. I actually had tears in my eyes and was very emotional. That does not happen often to me. In my opinion, that scene elevated the film to greatness, not the opposite.

But those kinds of scenes always tread a thin line and I can easily see why some might have the reaction dwatts had.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

sorry if this was already said- but that bat scene in Suspiria- I love Suspiria and some people like the cheesy fake bat dangling around but that scene really ruins some of the mood of the movie for me - cuz it is just so awfully fake and laughable and the rest of the movie is fairly tense and artistic-

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I didn't think much of that film although I have to say, considerring the circumstancesin the story, I don't find that scene too far-fetched.