"bad" moments in "good" movies

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Mar 8, 2005.

1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I was listening to the commentary for NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and they actually mentioned some of the unusual behavior of the Cemetery Zombie. [btw, once I was watching more closely I saw that he did actually sort of go for a bite on Johnny.] Apparently he asked Romero if some of what he was doing [running fast, displaying a fair amount of strength] was the opposite of what the ghouls were supposed to be able to do in the script, and Romero said "Just do it anyway...."

I guess you could say he was the first running zombie!

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was watching Night of the Living Dead the other night and I have to add the scene when they first enter the house, it's day time and 30 seconds later they look out the window and it's picture black outside. Kind of bugs me.

3. every cutaway to Miquel A. Nunez Jr. in Return of the Living Dead

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just watched the original Fright Night and it made me think of this thread. The scene where Charley pays off Evil to tell him how to kill a vampire.

Why would he need to ask him that, Isn't Peter Vincent suppose to be his Hero? You would think he would have already known all that basic Vampire Killing information from watching his movies.

Another thing that bugged me to a lesser extent; why was Jerry all worried that Charley's mom was going to walk in on him attacking Charley. He could of killed them both easily if he wanted to.

Other then that great film.

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

The first scene that always comes to mind in conversations like this is the scene from Event Horizon. That movie was going along great maintaining a creepy and uneasy atmosphere and then the whole movie is ruined in an instant when the one astronaut instantly turns gangsta and throws out the "HERE I COME MUTHA FUCKAS!" line. Completely ruined that entire movie for me.

6. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Haven't read all this thread, so don't know if this ones been mentioned. Two scenes in Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior for you non-aussies). Firstly where Mel says "the tanks are booby trapped, once touch and BOOOOOOOOM" Which was thankfully followed by a much better line from the Gyro Captain " a fellow, a "quick" fellow might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel" Secondly, when in the compound Mel says "you wanna get outta here, ya talk to me" Just sounded so cheesy the way those lines were delivered. Makes me cringe when I hear them.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

HA HA! I forgot about this thread but it's great! I've always hated Stacey Nelkin in Halloween III but the one line that makes me cringe every time is when she says, "Where do you want to sleep, Dr. Challis?"

8. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

The Esteban scene in Kill Bill Vol.2 is just painful to watch. It goes nowhere and drags the momentum built throughout both movies to a crawl. It really adds nothing to the story (The bride found the rest of the Viper Squad on her own, she would have found Bill too without this guy's help.) and the dialogue is just ridiculous.
    "Where were we? Ah jes, Beel..."
    Ugh.

The original theatrical cut of Blade Runner with Harrison Ford's narrative dialogue gave the movie more of a Film Noir feel which I've always missed since it was purged with the Director's Cut years ago. At least you can still access it on the tricked out complete editions on DVD or Blu-ray.

9. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

As Mike Nelson said in his commentary, "And voila! It's dark. The sun didn't set, it crashed."

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

The one scene I always find funny is the well scene in The Ring (us version) where our main characters take a moment to explain the plot up until that point (well scene)

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Old I know, but, I have to say that's probably my favorite moment from the film. I'd agree with Spacevis that there's just something very Japense about it. He acts dead because he truly wants to be dead and thought of as dead, it's the polite thing to do. It's a character thought process unique to Japanese culture. At the same time you can't let a phone go unanswered, that's also impolite, and his conversation on the phone is also a social critique, especially because on the situation. It's really a perfect moment.

Pie fight scene in Dawn I didn't buy the first time, but after seeing it a few times it feels very natural now. Bikers who are desensitized by zombies have some pies, so naturally they throw them at the zombies. If you had zombies in a room with bikers and a cart full of pies what do you think will happen? They'll all sit down and have a slice? It's also a bit of a progression, because as I remember just one or two do it and then the rest follow. Feels natural to me. Very surreal but I think human at the same time. I have a harder time beliving the blood pressure tester, but the fact that others pull him away at first tips it into a more believable area.

But yeah the superhero bit at the end is a bit too heavy handed. Also Fly has some very cringle worthy moments.

12. jsun322

jsun322 New Member

The tornado scene in Poltergeist always bugs me. The animation of the tornado as it's leaving the neighborhood looks awful. The acting of the teenage actress is terrible, too, as she points to the tornado while pulling down her shirt and saying "Mom! Dad! Look! It's a tornado!" And she keeps pointing at it...and pointing at it. Then the mom says, "It must've just skimmed us!"

I understand the story requires something horrible to happen, to distract the family away from the little girl. The tree grabbing the boy does that pretty well. Did we really need a badly animated tornado to come out of nowhere and suck the tree up out of the ground, too? It just seems odd and unnecessary to me. It's a dumb moment in an otherwise outstanding movie.

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I liked it. Added to the madness of that situation.

14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

In The Dark Knight during The Joker's attack on the police convoy there's this very annoying SWAT cop. His only function seems to be in adding quips that are just plan dreadful. "That's not good!" As he watches a police helicopter crash. "Okay, that's not good!"

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I actually like both of those lines!

The first one, Max doesn't even say "BOOOM", he just makes an explosion sound. Which I like, because it's symbolic of how man is regressing to an animal-like state and language is the first thing to go (further exemplified by the Feral Kid, who never says a word, just makes grunts and squeals)

The second one is the obvious attempt at a catch phrase kind of thing, and as cheesy as it is, it kinda worked for me...

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I agreed with you while I was watching it the first time, but it was because
    I assumed it was the Joker or a henchmen in the driver's seat. I was expecting that to be the reveal and the audience would all roll their eyes to this guy's reaction to the Joker. But then it was revealed to be Gordon and I got kind of a kick out of that. He also dies doesn't he? That made me feel better to.
    So it doesn't bug me as much anymore. It's still stupid, but not nearly as stupid as I had originally thought it would be.

17. jsun322

jsun322 New Member

Not to mention the fact that, even though she's distraught with grief over the murder of her father, she remembered to pack a sexy black negligé for the trip up from L.A....you know, just in case.

18. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

In Shocker when Horace tells the TV to give it to him, and then TV say "You Got it Baby." It's also a little annoying that John Carpenter doesn't take cinematography lessons from maybrick.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Shocker was a good movie?

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Well, she wasn't exactly the wholesome all American girl. I thought it was fairly true to her character. When I saw the movie then, she looked like she was touring with a rock band or something. Such attire wasn't as extreme as it became a few years later. I never did trust her character, though. I kept questioning if she would really so easily fall for the main character as it was all just too easy and not the least bit convincing.