Bates Motel on A&E, March 18, 10:00 PM.

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. deepred

deepred Member

Yeah, it was picked up for season 2 mid-season, I believe it will be 10 episodes like first season.

I actually hope Norma doesn't die anytime soon! I love her.

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Me too, there's a vulnerability to the character that makes her super-hot.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Blu-ray & dvd will be released on September 17th according to TVShowsonDVD.com.

4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Couldn't make it past 5 episodes. It seemed like the actress playing Norma gave it her all while all the characters around here were boring and one dimensional. I ended up not being interested in any of the characters except for her so I lost interest.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Up on Netflix now. I watched the first two eps last night and am already hooked. Can't really add anything about it that hasn't already been said in this thread. I'm very happy that they're only using Psycho as the basis and doing their own thing with it.

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff. When's the next season start?

7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

It started so so but was stupid by the end. No need for me to watch when the show comes back on. None of these horror characters need origin stories. Why don't these "creative" people make a new horror TV show character with an origin story?

8. maybrick

Well I for one think that Vera Farmiga is AMAZING in the role of Norma. She just got better and better with each episode, and I'm enjoying the touch of humor they've added to a lot of her reactions with the hippies, rude towns people, the psychologist, real estate agent, etc. she should win a frickin award!

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

The new season starts March 3rd. Can't wait. Already watched the 10 episodes from the first season on Blu-Ray.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It was a good season. I'm still waiting for the blu-ray set to drop below $20. $30 is too much with minimal extras imo.

11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I gave up on Bates Motel after watching the premiere episode last spring. Like a lot of people I was really turned off by some of the creative decisions (putting Norman and Norma in modern day California, every cast member including the weird oxygen tank girl is fuckable, the over baring melodrama,
    Killing off the original motel owner, totally ruining potential conflict later on in the series, and the fact that they had to kill off a character in the first episode in general
    all kind of took me out of it.

Since it has recently made its way to Netflix Instant Streaming, I am considering giving it a second shot. But I still don't have high hopes for it.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I dismissed "Hannibal" before actually watching it, and ended up eating my words. I'll give this a shot on streaming for sure.

13. ImmortalSlasher

I guess nothing's wrong with her. There were funny bits. It was just everything else about the town and activity. Psycho just doesn't need an origin story or TV show. The movie stands on its own.

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I was highly skeptical of this but ended up really enjoying it.Very good cast.The actress who plays Norman's ill friend (who is actually British) is starring in Hammer's new film THE QUIET ONES.

15. maybrick

PSYCHO was a novel before it was ever a film. It is allowed to have other adaptations. The origin story is the least interesting thing about Bate's Motel, as far as I'm concerned. It isn't supposed to be a prequel, anyways. It merely draws it's inspiration from there. There are far too many changes in the story for an origin story to work. In the Hitchcock film, the hotel is based in California, not Oregon. Norman grew up in the house and the motel was built by his boyfriend's mother. Those are just two of the changes off the top of my head, but there are more. The introduction of a brother, a different sheriff, etc. It's its own thing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  16. maybrick

She is british in the show, too. She merely plays the part as an immigrant who has been here long enough to lose most of her accent.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Even though I like Bates Motel a lot (far more than I expected to), I do take umbrage to this statement. I don't think that just because a film is based on a novel means that remaking it or reimaging it or rebooting it is fair game. Couple of perfect examples are Jaws and The Shining (although there are a ton more we could discuss). Can you imagine anyone remaking or prequeling Jaws? Hell, the sequels increased the shlock factor exponentially as they went on and are an embarrassment to Spielberg's original.
    As for The Shining, Kubrick did indeed heavily alter King's novel, but after that horrendous TV version of the 90s, we now see that Kubrick knew what he was doing.

In other words, remaking a classic, perfect movie can still be a horrible idea even if the original was based on a novel.

18. ImmortalSlasher

Even if it's not a direct prequel, it still uses the Bates Motel and plays off what we know from the original movie. It's just not needed to me and money and time should be used to creating something original if you can't make a prequel better than the original or add something of meaning. Which in the case of the majority of these prequels and remakes, they can't add anything substantial and are just playing off nostalgia.

19. deepred

deepred Member

Have you seen this adaptation? I ask because Bates Motel does add something of meaning - it explores the relationship between Norman and Norma without turning Norma into just a crazy nag. There's a tenderness between the two, that leaves the viewer on edge because you care for both Norman and Norma. I don't recall any of the Psycho movies playing much sympathy for Norma or exploring the dynamic quite like this show does.

20. maybrick

It's funny that people always say these kinds of things about Psycho, but virtually NEVER about Dracula. The only difference is the advent of time and a new interpretation of Dracula every 20 years or so is a norm. There is a LOT a imaginative filmmaker can do with the original source material, and as much of a classic the Hitchcock film is (and I'm a fan of it) it just isn't effective as a horror movie any more and truthfully even he took some liberties with the source material, so it CAN be done as long as the audience keeps an open mind.

BATE'S MOTEL may be playing off of Psycho, but it IS original. It is also exceedingly entertaining and in the end that is all that I really care about.

Exactly.