Bates Motel on A&E, March 18, 10:00 PM.

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Yes I've seen it.

I haven't seen the original Dracula in so long I don't remember it. And I've seen few if none of the remakes/updates. I need to watch that Dracula TV show before it goes off the demand list.

Here are some of my posts from the other Horror forum when I was watching Bates Motel.

SPOILERS!!!

When I heard of Bates Motel, I thought the idea was stupid. I don't remember any of the Psycho sequels. I might have watched a bit of part 2. The shot for shot, I think, modern remake was one of the dumbest ideas ever. Psycho is one of those movies that don't need sequels, prequels, or any of that nonsense.

I didn't know Bates Motel was a modern "origin" until watching a review. It's almost a period show until halfway or so in. I think the show is kind of surprising. But the second episode is where things are getting a bit messy. The whole town is full of drug dealers? I guess I'll watch the third episode. It's only ten episodes. Maybe they won't lose me.

-

My interest in this show is dropping. I'm an episode behind and apparently drug dealing isn't the only thing going on in this town. Apparently the show's creators are trying to give small towns a bad name. Or throw everything they can in it kind of like American Horror Story.

-

First off, still no one cares about the fate of the Asian girl. I think Norman might have mentioned that the crooked cop killed her. But I can't be sure. I guess if she's dead they just left the body in the forest.

The Bates family doesn't get a moment of pause. Of course the main guy most likely responsible for the human Asian sex ring actually shows up. And expects to continue under the motel's new ownership! How much trouble happens in this town???

Then of course we have the growing soap opera with Norman. Of course his half brother will "hook up" with the popular girl. Gosh, I hate that term "hook up." It's a stupid vague term which could mean any number of things. Anyway, of course the popular girl doesn't think she's slutty or anything. It's business as usual. The show tried to trick us and make us think Norman would actually kill the popular girl. But the show is no where near that dark and I knew it wouldn't happen.

The last part with the taxidermy thing was foreshadowed early in the season. I wasn't surprised they used it again.

-

Ok guys and girls. This show isn't a retelling, origin, or anything like that of Norman Bates. What this show is, is how much trouble can a Mother and her son (sons?) get into in a small town. The show is very stupid now. Norman with his relationships with girls, the crime subplots, all this stuff is away from the best thing about Psycho. The hotel and house. I did laugh when Norman brings the girl back to the hotel. Only a few episodes left. I'm 100% sure it will get worse. But I think the show was already renewed for another season which is shocking.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Anybody still watching the show?

It's up to the 4th episode of the Second season. I still like it. Vera Farmiga getting even better on the show, if that's possible.

Only have one negative about the show. I wish Norma wasn't the characters name. Because too many times when other characters in the show pronounce Norma, it sounds too close to Norman. So it takes a second to realize who they are talking about. (parts where Norma & Norman aren't in the scene)

Not exactly an answer to my own question? ..... but after the first few episodes of season 2, they revealed some interesting happenings. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm really getting tired of it. Imo, it lost whatever it had in the first season.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not feeling it either, this season. Maybe it's gotten too soap opera-y for me, with this whole Caleb/Evelyn Mulwray storyline they've just added. I dunno. I might stick with it, if only because most of the other shows I watch (ex. Brooklyn Nine Nine, American Horror Story, True Detective, Walking Dead, How I Met Your Mother, etc) have ended or are ending their seasons shortly.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Too many side-stories and characters.
    Wish the show had focused more on Norman and his fall into madness, instead of all that other stuff.
    I will continue too watch, but it´s not as enjoyable as the first season so far.
    I hope they don´t stretch this out into 8 seasons.
    Probably would have worked better as a miniseries.

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Not nearly as good as Season 1, but still into it, though it is losing steam.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was with it for the first couple of episodes, but the more it went along, the harder it became to stomach. I just keep hearing it in my head...

I don't want to wait for our lives to be over,
    I want to know right now, what will it be?
    I don't want to wait for our lives to be over,
    Will it be yes or will it be...sorry?

doo doo oooh doo ooh do do ooh

I'm gonna pitch a show to A&E where we take Ripley from Alien and put her in a Manhattan apartment with a bunch of girlfriends who drink martinis and gossip about all the cute boys.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Anybody still watching?

Season three is really good so far. Norman is definitely getting madder. The story of the odd relationship between Norman and his mother is really full steam ahead in this current season.

Imho, those who bailed out are missing a good show.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. Steel76

Yeah, I´m still watching.
    I was about to stop after season 2, which was pretty bad.
    But finally Norman is going of the rails. Too bad they had to wait for three season, as this should have begun in the first season.

I still think they focus too much on unnecessary side stories and characters, but at least it´s getting more interesting again.

The last episode of this season is called "The Psycho", so I wonder if they will end the series this season? I hope so, as I don´t see how they can stretch this out for 5 more seasons.

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I think most of us feel this way!

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I've been watching too - definitely one of the better shows out there currently. The last episode showed Norman's madness accelerating rapidly, and the urge to dress like mother is starting to be hinted at.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yup. This season is an improvement over Season 2, and I'd like it if they ended it quickly rather than drag it out. Maybe one more season tops.

Emma is still easy on the eyes.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I like the episode back where she was getting dressed for the date.

14. deepred

deepred Member

I enjoyed the first season and am enjoying this year. I agree that Season 2 wasn't the best. The first season made the town seem dark and mysterious whereas Season 2 kinda lost that feeling.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, she wasn't even getting dressed for the date, she was just going to work.

It's also funny to go back in this thread and see some of us talking up the movie she was going to be in, which ended up being the god-awful train wreck Ouija

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I forgot, sorry my mistake. Either way it way nice. She wins one of the hottest girls with a oxygen tank ... her and Jacqueline Bisset :D

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I am still watching... sort of. I watch it the same way I watch The Walking Dead, usually on 3x speed. Then I switch it back to normal when they start talking, which is pretty rare. So little happens in the course of an episode, it usually takes me about 25 / 30 minutes to get through one. I normally wouldn't do this, but it actually works surprisingly well for Bates Motel and The Walking Dead.

I don't think season three has been much of an improvement so far. It's still just a small town soap opera, basically One Tree Hill if Chad Michael Murray happened to live in the Bates Motel. I will say they have terrific actors involved. Especially Vera Farmiga, who is always a joy to watch. Also Freddie Highmore, who is surprisingly terrific as young Norman Bates. They've also had a lot of really great guest stars throughout the series, for instance Kevin Rahm at the moment. A lot of the side characters don't really go anywhere though. Whatever happened to Michael Vartan's character, I honestly can't remember? His whole storyline was pretty pointless.

I don't understand why these genre shows like Bates Motel and Walking Dead are so sluggishly paced. There's enough there to tell interesting stories, but episodes will go by on these shows where absolutely nothing happens. American Horror Story is just a hot mess, jumping all over the place with no focus. Honestly, I'd probably say the best genre show on the air at the moment is ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars. But since that show is marketed to teenage girls, I don't think a lot of genre fans realize that it's basically a serialized slasher film.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, and everyone knows that's The Blair Witch Project's Josh as the psychiatrist, right?

19. Steel76

Well, I was ready to bail.
    But I though, I'll give season 4 a chance, and it was worth it in the end.
    There will be a fifth and final season, but they really could have ended it with this season finale, as there was no cliffhanger, and it really felt like the end of the show.
    Maybe they should just rename the show for the final season, since it officially is "Psycho" now, and it's about fucking time ;)

So many crappy side stories that never went anywhere.
    If they had cut all that shit out, they could have made it a one or two season series instead.
    Or, if they could have gotten to the point, where the show is at now, at the end of season one already.

Freddie Highmore, is the only reason I continued to watch, since I really enjoy his performance as Norman, and his descent into madness, and murder.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, in light of the fact that it's meant to be a TV series, I think that all the actors, writers, and crew are trying to stretch it out a bit. It's literally their jobs, after all. They do get paid by the episode, and if they can wrap it all up in half a dozen episodes, they're back to looking for work.

That said, there were definitely some side plots that didn't work.

This was a pretty good season, unlike in the past where sometimes 3-4 episodes would build up on my DVR and I'd feel compelled to watch them. This time, it was an every-week thing for me. As for the finale, I think there's way more room to go with this, just as long as they do make the 5th season the final. Norman still has some contact with the "normal" world even though he's clearly trying to distance himself from everyone. By the end of next season, it's got to be just him and his mother's corpse.