Bates Motel on A&E, March 18, 10:00 PM.

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Another really good season. I for one didn't mind the slow build over the seasons.

Just for a different perspective on the series. A friend of mine who watches Bates Motel has never, ... I repeat never, seen the original Psycho film or any of it's sequels. Actually started watching the series on a recommendation from me only because I know he has the hots for Vera Farmiga and he needed a new series to watch. Not even a horror fan either. He's was totally hooked on the show from the first few episodes.

Shannafey and Anthropophagus like this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'll be very disappointed in the series if it simply ends where Psycho began. I think that will do an incredible disservice to itself if it simply becomes PSYCHO EPISODES I-III. I want to see a complete story arc for this version of Norman, not just an open ended prequel to Anthony Perkins' character. That'd be lame. If they're going to do that then they'd may as well end it right now.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you don't mind me asking, why? I mean, that seems like a perfect place to end it, as we all know what happens after that.

Shannafey likes this.
  4. maybrick

But we really don't because they've already taken such liberties with the story with the way he killed his mother and the fact that he has a brother. Ultimately I'd rather prefer an extended remake than just a prequel. I don't think that Hitchcock's film is so untouchable that the story can't be tried in a different way.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, you're probably going to be more satisfied than me, as I've head that Marion Crane will be added as a cast member next year. Me, I'd prefer the series finale to have Norman alone in the house when a car pulls up to the motel. A woman gets out and says "Hello, my name is Marion Crane". Credits.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  6. maybrick

B
    Blah. Bates Motel is so different than Psycho it'd be like having a movie without the final act. Clearly one of us will end up being disappointed. Unless they totally screw it up in which case both of us will. :)

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Ditto! I've been thinking this since the first season! What would really be amazing would be if they would just show a shot of the hotel with the house in the background and use some of the original Anthony Perkins/Janet Leigh dialogue and then bring in Bernard Herrmann's opening theme over the closing credits to the series. What a perfect way for this show to go out!

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Might be a little of both. Season five is the final season for Bates Motel(unless something changes) So I don't know how far they can go into the Norman character in 10 episodes.

As far as the ending with Marion Crane, the creators have said in the last season it will allow them to do their version of Psycho story. All the while by not recreating Psycho the film, but blending in certain events from the film. The Marion Crane news obviously fits into that famous scene. Like I said 10 episodes to deal with the brother, Emma, the sheriff, and now the Marion stuff. Sounds like they may just fade out with a scene like Paff has stated. Or at the very least her death.

Myself I wish it would keep going, like into season 6 and 7. No reason to (I'm assuming) offing the brother or Emma. Keep them around for other seasons, keep it going, this guy playing Norman is excellent.

9. maybrick

There's no logical reason why they would need to cut corners to deliver a new adaptation of the Psycho story and fill the remaining plot holes. You have to remember that Psycho was only a 90 minute film, and every season of Bates is 10 episodes which translates to roughly 6 1/2 hrs. All they would need to do is devote the last three or four episodes, and it is entirely possible that the last show could be a 2 hr finale.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

NEWS on the Final Season to an incredible series.

The Marion Crane character is going to played by ............... wait for it ............... Rhianna.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I'm ok with Rihanna as Marion Crane.
    I'm not a fan of her music by any means but this show has been about mixing it up. If some are upset about the racial aspect, they need to get over it...and quick. If others are upset about her status as a pop tart who is pretty much unproven as an actress then perhaps I can understand. However Bates Motel is essentially a soap opera that defies gender boundaries due to the genre content and subject matter I don't see how Rihanna could ruin this. Also from what I've read this will be a very small role, so let's give her the benefit of the doubt. Why not?

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Even though I find this show very sluggishly paced and frequently dull, I'm strangely excited for this final season. Especially given what happened in last season's finale. I think watching the recap special, where they go through just the important stuff, really focused the show in for me and perfectly set up what this season will be about.

Really dug the premiere. It feels like a lot of the fat and pointless sideplots will be trimmed this year and it will be all about working towards that endgame. Excited for the big confrontation between Norman and Romero.

baggio likes this.
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode of the final season of Bates Motel last night. It didn't disappoint. Even liked the intro by Vera Farmiga talking to the fans of the show. So far so good. I got Ep 2 Dvr'ed waiting to be viewed by Monday.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It seems like they are taking a radical departure from the source material with the introduction of
    Sam Loomis

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, they sure pulled one hell of a twist this week.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the series finale of Bates Motel. I'm gonna miss it. What a true pleasure it was to have this to watch each season. Really great show.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the series actually picked up some steam in the last season.
    I'm glad there was more focus on Norman this time, instead of a billion other side stories.

baggio likes this.
  18. maybrick

It succeeds in everything I hoped for, mainly at being its own thing and not just a straight, predictable prequel for a great but 57 year old film.

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Spot on. I feel the same way. Not every season was perfect but no regrets watching it and will revisit it again down the road.

baggio likes this.
  20. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Loved this show. So sad to see it finally end. Amazing last season though!