Bates Motel on A&E, March 18, 10:00 PM.

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Great...
    NOW I have to start watching the show (as it's wrapping up). (Rihanna single-handedly reignited my interest in modern music, and that was about 8 years ago. Since then, she's only eclipsed the consistency of quality of early megahits like "SOS," "Pon de Replay," "Shut Up and Drive," "Disturbia," "Don't Stop the Music," "Take a Bow"- though I admit I don't really care for her most recent Anti-period, her Unapologetic drop off material, and stuff like "American Oxygen" (seriously: YUCK!), "Stay," "Right Now," "Work" (even for her post-Loud discography, this is on the lazy side), and "FourFiveSeconds.")

Nice to know it's on Netflix... the first 4 seasons. If season 5 comes to streaming soon, I will make sure to watch Rihanna's episode. Maybe before that point, I'll watch the first 4 seasons.

2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I just finished Season 4 on Netflix and heading into Season 5 tonight. Holy actual shit, this series is good. I was hesitant to even watch it because I'm somewhat of a purist and I thought it was borderline obnoxious for a show to try to piggyback on a Hitchcock classic. Plus, Anthony Perkins IS Norman Bates, so I expected to have a really hard time accepting anyone else in that role. But Freddie Highmore does really well. I agree that some of the side stories are too much. Whenever a show has a million side stories (paging the Walking Dead!), it always comes off as the writers trying to stretch it out so they can waste time until the next important plot point. I get the importance of the drug trade in the town since that's the backbone of the setting. But that crusty old neighbor/pirate/vagrant that lives next to Dylan's farm seemed completely unnecessary.

I will say that the end of Season 4 was pretty badass.

It thought it was creepy AF when Norman opened his dead mother's eyes and held them there with glue, then carried her around the house. Plus, seeing the Season 5 trailer and the way he has her at the center of a shrine in a temperature controlled room is also creepy AF.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  3. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I finished the series last night. Wow. Great show, somewhat bittersweet ending. I really enjoyed it overall. The cast was excellent.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Amazon UK currently has "The Complete Series" 10-Disc Blu-ray set pre-order priced at just £25.12. Without the VAT, it comes down to £20.93 after ordered.

Judging by the price of the US set, it must be a price error. Universal never region lock their discs either, so the UK discs should be identical to the US discs.

Amazon UK usually always honors it even if it is a price error too. I grabbed a couple of pricey Blu-ray Box Sets a few months ago for like £1 and £2 each and they honored those.

satans-sadists likes this.
  5. Stige

Stige Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. I only have season 1 and didn't plan on buying more considering cost for all seasons etc, but if they honor that nothing cost for five seasons then.... Ordered.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Great price indeed. Jumped on this deal immediately. Thanks for passing this along.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Katatonia

Amazon UK have surprisingly went down even lower in price, to £22.93. Without the VAT that comes to £19.11 = approx. $25 US

I already had it pre-ordered with another title that doesn't come out until next week, so it didn't ship in advance. I checked my account though, and the pre-order price was lowered in my order. Great bargain! :eek:

chancetx and satans-sadists like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That is just an amazing deal! I got a shipping confirmation on Saturday & received the order savings email today. Currently this is $125.00 on Amazon US, a laughable sale price.

9. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Saw this deal posted on Facebook and jumped on it. Amazing price! Someone there said the UK version isn't in individual cases by season but for that price I can live with whatever kind of packaging they use.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I know it's only one person but one review stated

"quality of this box set is actually disgusting"

11. Katatonia

Judging by the pics posted of the set, it is very cheap packaging. I received a similar Universal UK set with 10 discs in that same case and it arrived with a bunch of broken plastic pieces and looses discs inside the case. I have no clue where you can even buy a replacement case for it.

Amazon UK have since taken down the stock image they displayed previously which looked like it would be of better quality.

I'm almost having second thoughts about keeping the pre-order open now before it eventually ships. I already have the US 1-4 seasons, and Season 5 will eventually drop to $20. Hmm... :confused:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Like I said that was just one person's opinion/review. Didn't want to discourage you from buying the collection. Interesting about the other set you received, hope it's not the same thing.

Question, As I didn't realize you had the US set(up to season 4). What was the reason to get the UK set? Myself I own the US version too, but up to season 3. Think I paid under $18 for each season at various times/sales.

13. Katatonia

I knew and realized I already had the US Blu sets of 1 to 4 — it was just that it was cheaper to buy the UK set to get Season 5 also. And I assumed the packaging would be nearly identical to the US set based on the Amazon UK pre-order images, which they have now obviously removed.

14. Katatonia

Here's an unboxing video of the UK set:

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I received the complete series set from Amazon UK yesterday. Can verify that yes, the packaging does indeed suck. Mine arrived with a large crack in the case. Thankfully none of the discs are damaged.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What day did they ship it to you? I’m still waiting for an order from there.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 14th, shipped via I-Parcel. Delivered by my local post office.

18. maybrick

Dammit. Mine shipped the 5th. I've no idea how they shipped it.

19. Katatonia

Check the order # in your account, it will say by what carrier it shipped and if there is a tracking number.

20. maybrick

It doesn’t say anything other than standard shipping and there is no tracking number for international shipping.