Batman V Superman (2016) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Mar 24, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Direct by Zach Snyder

Well I had low expectations going in to this film but was pleasantly surprised.. by the first 45 mins to an hour. The first section has great tone and plays off more like an espionage thriller and starts weaving together the different character threads quite nicely. We get introduced to our new Batman/Bruce Wayne and Affleck does a great job as do he costume designers. Cavil is passable as Superman but seems stiffer then his last outing, Gal Gadot however is hypnotic as Wonder Woman and I feel her star will truly shine in the years to come. The one I was most worried about was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, for one thing this character was completely miscast but putting that aside his performance was quite good... for the first 45 minutes then it got way too affected.

After the first hour things start to unravel, characterizations get weird, plot points are a mess and the action is not even all that great. The overblown finale was better than expected though and certainly not the headache enducer that the Man of Steel climax was. Going in I thought they would probably put too much set up for other movies to come in at the cost of the central story and that's what happened but I did not expect a result of this being that those set up parts were actually the best handled in the film. The central prose, whilst an interesting one, squandered the good will from the first act in short order.

In the end we have a visually arresting jumbled film with a fantastic score (Wonder Woman's theme is a cracker) and done interesting ideas to bounce into other films in the DC universe. As a film to watch on its own however, it becomes a glum chore which is a shame because it did catch the essence of the last 30 years of Superman and Batman comics/cartoons but could not hold it together. Also I would not advise anyone to take children to this film as its not really got kids at all and they'd most likely be bored anyways.

4.5/10

Steel76 likes this.
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

everyone skipping it?

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I am. It looks bloody awful. Certainly won't be shelling out $10 to see it.

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

No people are just talking about it in the right thread.

Zombie Dude and CPT HOOK like this.
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

good call

7. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

It. Was. Abysmal. I knew that it had Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan attached to it so I had low expectations and they were fulfilled. Two people with no idea of the word nuance having a fight with their action figures. Hans Zimmer phones in another three hour tuba solo. Who knows if the actors were any good because they were given nothing to work with... attempting to create a role with any degree of subtlety in this would be akin to trying to create a melody on a one string guitar. Luthor makes a reference to his villainy due to something that happened to him during childhood, which is right up there with "saving the cat" in screenwriting skills and just made me vomit in my mouth a little seeing that used as a cheap plot device after viewing "Spotlight" earlier in the week. It is a movie that sits there in silence and furrows it brow at you, trying to confuse the viewer into thinking it has substance but only pessimism.

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Despite the material i though Affleck and Gadot were both fabulous