Battle #153: The House On Sorority Rown VS I Know What You Did Last Summer

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Aug 12, 2006.

?

vote

1. The House On Sorority Row (1983)

80.5%
  2. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

19.5%
  1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, they are both incredibly stupid films- on that, they are very much even...

But I Know What You Did Last Summer is actually a gorgeous film to watch. Location, location, location! The characters are still sniveling, whiny, selfish douches. But I would much rather rewatch that film and just let the coastal California overtake me than watch the world's most boring housemother and bitchy sorority sister come to BULLETS over a fuckin' waterbed... Like I said, I know they're both stupid but I think a deeply problematic character stupid is worse than plot ridiculousness. A writer who writes absurd is less irritating to me than a writer who chooses to write stupid to appeal to a certain audience. (I think House on Sorority Row was intentionally dumbed down.)

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority here but I had to got with I Know What You Did Last Summer. The location is super gorgeous and it has the 2nd best chase scene of all time when Sarah Michelle Gellar is finally stalked to her death. The only stalking/chase scene that was better was when Wendy meets her demise in the original Prom Night (1980).

othervoice1 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

To be honest, I haven't seen House on Sorority Row in yeeeaaaaarrrrs and remember very little. I do however have fond memories of seeing I know what you did last summer in the theaters as a 13 year old. BUT........the 2nd best chase scene of all time???? I think that's a massive stretch, although it's probably the best sequence of that movie. The first two to come to mind is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Maniac. I think that could be a good debate, though.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This is one of the few statements you've ever made on this board for which you don't need your brain meter checked.

5. Natas

Watched House on Sorority Row tonight. Kinda fucking lousy to be honest. Best part? Seeing one of the real housewives on bravo from a show my wife watches religiously.....naked circa 1983. I got a good laugh out of it. Paused, took a picture and sent it to my wife while she was at work. She was less than amused but I'm still laughing LOL "I told you she was a lizard whoooooore". Her death in the movie was extremely amusing to me

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The end absolutely makes the movie for me. Love HOSR.

7. Natas

The clown was pretty creepy. But I just couldn't get that into it. Not a favorite from that era. Wasn't a waste of time.....mildly entertaining.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Actually, now that I think about your choices, they are outstanding too. The nurse in Maniac when she is running from him and ends up in the bathroom. Ultra terrific scene and during a time when NYC was still seedy as hell. Marilyn Chambers running all night too was also very good. I actually cannot argue these at all. Let's just add your two and my two and include them in the top 5 :D. Now we need to think of another one...;). Also, I am a little biased because I really like Sarah Michelle Gellar.