Battle #165: Event Horizon (1997) VS Supernova (2000)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Aug 16, 2006.

?

vote

1. Event Horizon (1997)

91.9%
  2. Supernova (2000)

8.1%
  1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Nothing memorable in Supernova for me. Event Horizon wins.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Just watched SUPERNOVA for the first time and really enjoyed it. It's not an instant classic but I don't understand how it got its reputation. Yes, it is an ALIEN knockoff, but that's not enough to earn the disdain many have for it. I was really taken by the effects work. It is very pretty to look at, which is allot of what I'm looking for in a Sci-fi film. And for what started out as a B-film, the actors are exceptional. The main premise of the film is very interesting as well. The only criticism I can think of, other than it being derivative, is that I didn't even notice the score and the climax to the film could of been more impactful. Had the film been more creepy or tense it would go on my list of films I revisit regularly, but as it stands now I view it as an enjoyable film that I will take a second look at much further down the road.

I enjoyed Shout Factory's extras. Watching the trailer reminded me of why I passed on the film back in 2000. The studio appeared to be trying to sell the film as a fun little space romp. To bad, if I had known it was an ALIEN clone with a serious tone I would have rushed to the theater.

I can see why EVENT HORIZON did better than SUPERNOVA on a horror forum. EVENT HORIZON is a horror film that takes place in space and SUPERNOVA is a Sci-fi action film with almost no horror elements. That said, I have watched EH numerous times trying to will myself to enjoy it but failed each time. Some of the casting choices in EH are obnoxious and most of the acting is atrocious. Anytime Justin or Cooper are on screen I am completely pulled out of the film. I'm not a fan of Sam Neil either. I find EH to be an insufferable gorefest that should have been so much more

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the Supernova blu-ray about a week or two as well. Back when I first saw it, I didn't care much for it. But with time and lowered expectations, I found it to be a bit of a guilty pleasure this time. It's not a serious or smart sci-fi flick, it's basically just one of those cheesy 90s psycho "fill-in-the-blank from hell" movies like The Crush, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, or Pacific Heights, only with an obscenely high budget and set in outer space. And as a fan of those trashy 90s thrillers, I'm all for it.

The featurette was definitely an interesting one, but it was too short compared to some of Scream Factory's other ones, and it ends rather abruptly. They definitely cover the films chaotic production problems, but it left me wanting to know more.

And crikan, regarding the trailer, I got a nice LOL out of it. It starts with a trendy song from the time (Sugar Ray's Fly) and goes out with a recognizable oldie ("Mama Told Me Not To Come"). Such a product of its time. Despite being absolutely hilarious, it does sell it as what it is: a trashy 90s "fill-in-the-blank from hell" thriller.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's pretty much the same with me, although viewing the Blu-ray was the 3rd time I've seen the film. It's definitely an acquired taste, and certainly not a film without many faults...but it's still fun.

The very fact that it had several big names associated with its production, and such a large budget to begin with is still quite curious. :eek1: I think if the studio would have just stayed out of the end product, it perhaps would have been a far better film than the cheesefest it eventually became.

It's a shame that Walter Hill's original workprint couldn't have made it onto Blu-ray as an extra feature, but it's still amazing that it actually had any new special features!

The Imdb trivia tidbits are pretty hilarious too.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The SUPERNOVA trailer reminds me of that joke tailer that portrays THE SHINING as an 80's comedy. With Sugar Ray's Fly playing I kept expecting to see Whoopi Goldberg and Macaulay Culkin show up as crew members.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the workprint, but did you watch the deleted scenes at all?

They have the unedited version of one of the death scenes, which definitely should have been included in the film (considering this version is R-rated).

There's also a rather bloody autopsy scene, which is surprising considering the finished film is practically bloodless, and even an actual alien (guy in a suit) that didn't make the cut.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah I watched the deleted scenes, but they were also included on the old DVD edition too. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think they're identical on the new Blu-ray.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The bloodier death scene was the only deleted scene I liked. I'm glad George and the fetus man didn't make the final cut.

9. Christy

Christy Member

Supernova is awful one of the worst films ever.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

No contest - Event Horizon

11. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Event Horizon (1997) but I like Supernova though its a big mess.