Battle #179: The Devil Rides Out (1968) VS The Wicker Man (1973)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Aug 20, 2006.

?

vote

1. The Devil Rides Out (1968)

23.7%
  2. The Wicker Man (1973)

76.3%
  1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The 3-disc version of The Wicker Man is in stock at xploitedcinema.com for $34.95 for those who are interested. The soundtrack CD seals the deal for me even though I have the Anchor Bay wooden box.

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

The Devil Rides Out by a hair!

3. shape22

The Devil Rides Out has been in my "to watch" pile for a long time. This poll finally gave me the motivation to check it out.

I strongly prefer The Wicker Man. The atmosphere is really unmatched and it sets a uniquely creepy mood. It's also incredibly well written and plotted. Throw in the authentic-sounding folk music and I don't think there's another movie like it. I've watched it many times and I always find myself drawn in immediately.

I really enjoyed The Devil Rides Out. But it does seem like more of a traditional genre film. There's a hokey quality to it that I don't find in any part of The Wicker Man. I also thought the plotting didn't stand up to close inspection. Definitely a lot of fun though. I'll watch it again to see if my opinion changes.

4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

That's a tough one, love them each of em, but The Wicker Man won out, and more of a effect on me when I first saw it.

5. shape22

Did anyone else pick up the 3-disc R2 release of The Wicker Man? My all-region Oppo gives very stuttery playback of the director's cut--which is a problem I don't have with any other non-Region 1 DVD. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm told it may be related to the director's cut was converted from the Anchor Bay NTSC release to PAL. But I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

First time out I agree - but like Sixth Sense etc - subsequent viewings are less effective to me. A good film, but once the twist is known, some of the impact is diminished.

7. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

My vote goes to The Devil Rides Out.

Probably my favorite Hammer Film.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Holy Shit, The Wicker Man. A hundred times over.

The Devil Rides Out is nothing but a Sunday School class against Satanism. But... who says Satanism is actually bad? Some fanatical religious people. There's no proof presented in the film that there's anything bad about Satanism, not even an argument. They just show Satanists doing horrible things. We don't learn anything about Satanism. And, of course, a movie writes whatever ideas the writer comes up with. So... this is slandering Satanists and Satanism. Trying to make it a boogeyman. Trying to make you, the viewer, hate it. But... seriously: what is it? This movie just isn't fair. It's very abusive.