Battle #184: Prince Of Darkness (1987) VS In The Mouth Of Madness (1995)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Aug 22, 2006.

?

vote

1. Prince Of Darkness (1987)

51.0%
  2. In The Mouth Of Madness (1995)

49.0%
  1. Criswell

Criswell New Member

If any film in the history of cinema was made up as they went along it was Prince of darkness.

Simply put................IT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

2. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have both on DVD, and I think both are great, especially John Glover's cameo performance in the beginning of ITMOM, but I went with Prince of Darkness.

3. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I don't know how many times you've seen POD, but after viewing it for the first time years ago, I kinda felt the same way -- but still liked it. Having viewed it several times now thru the years, I'm really surprised to see just how much more coherent and solid it is as a horror story. If you haven't seen it lately, watch it again and pay attention to all of the subtle story developments as well as the obvious ones. One thing I've come to appreciate with Prince of Darkness is: there's more there than initially meets the eye. The more I paid attention to these details, the more I dug the hell outta this movie.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Prince of Darkness rocks. And it's got Alice Cooper.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Prince of Darkness definitely. I thought Carpenter's films went downhill considerably in the 90's.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

In the Mouth of Madness. Easily. I love shirtless Jameson Parker, don't get me wrong. But Madness had actual characters. Prince was all stereotypes. And, stupid imagery. Madness was a lot more inspired and interesting.

7. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Again, I agree with dvd-fanatic. This is getting boring.

In the mouth of madness is Carpenter's last great film IMO. Love the plot. Love the characters. Love the tentacled old lady with her tied up husband in the inn. Love Sutter Kane.

8. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I love In the Mouth of Madness. This cat creeped me the fuck out.

upload_2016-11-28_7-41-35.png

Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Prince of Darkness was wonderful. Much better than In the Mouth of Madness.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've always felt PRINCE OF DARKNESS was underrated. On the other hand, I've never really felt IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS quite worked.I like elements of it but it never felt like a Carpenter film to me, more like Carpenter doing Dario Argento , only not as well.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I like In the Mouth of Madness, but it is not even close. Prince of Darkness is fascinating from the first scene. The score, the plot, the characters, the tone, the atmosphere, the visuals...amazing. I love that movie.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

In the Mouth of Madness is definitely a favourite of mine so that was an easy pick. Love Sam Neil in it, love the Lovecraft vibe and the wacky and unsettling nature of it all. POD isn't terrible but I don't find it nearly as enjoyable.

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I give the edge to POD, although I have grown to like the under appreciated ITMOM. There's some bits and pieces I really like in that. But POD is probably the last Carpenter-feeling Carpenter film.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Clear 80's bias going on here. Sorry, guys, but In the Mouth of Madness is better. No contest.

Though, for anyone disappointed, I'm with you there- I don't think it's anywhere near on-par with a Videodrome. Or, hell- even something like I, Madman. For a thinking man's horror film, it's definitely not top tier. It's basically average at best. And not a disastrous failure like Prince of Darkness.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I prefer Prince of Darkness, but honestly I can't say that it isn't only because it came first.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Actually, you know what? I can't say that it's always the most obvious difference in quality- Prince of Darkness does have better atmosphere and would be scary... were it not so stupid. It's more a case of ever-diminishing returns. It starts strong (Madness does not) and then the stupid, as well as the racist and the stereotypical, simply overtake all of the goodwill of the opening 15 or so minutes.

It's a case of the hare vs. the turtle. The hare gets fuckin' lazy and stops trying. The turtle keeps truckin' along and proves to have worked harder and earned the victory.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Now that I ponder it a little more, I love Prince of Darkness WAY more than In The Mouth of Madness. Fuck that shit.

Angelman likes this.
  18. DVD-fanatic-9

Clear 80's bias.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Prince of Darkness is a classic case of de-escalation of the bad guy. First he's the devil himself, then he's some indistinct anti-matter being which means death to us all if he comes into being (anti-matter annihilates matter), but then he's not literally anti-matter 'cause he's come here to rule or something and presumably walk around and stuff (it gets pretty vague at this point. And our only source of information is a book by the same people who got it wrong the first time and have been lying to us since. [Which the Church couldn't transcribe but a college student managed to do cover to cover in a couple of hours? {And in the end what the hell did the physics equations have to do with anything?}] So it's hard to say what's really on the other side.)

Then he's not really even this anti-matter being he's its envoy, who apparently has to pull the real anti-matter being out of a big enough mirror. (Which is apparently what it's been bidding its time for? A full size mirror. Huh?) I mean, the bucket of slime's so damn big how could it send THAT to earth but not figure out something better than pull itself through a medium sized mirror?!? By the end I figured the being on the other side of the mirror still wasn't really even the bad bad guy, he'd be the anti-matter's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. :rolleyes:

A lot of the set pieces and production design is great. But it's a terrible plot with the thinnest drawn characters possible to carry on the charade.

Mouth of Madness at least had a proper reveal of an escalating threat. We start with a missing persons report and a few nut balls and end up with giant tentacle monsters and total global chaos. Also Sam Neill's at least willing to meet the audience half way at being likable; other characters aren't much better than PD though. But the production's somewhat lackluster with a made for TV feel. It had the low budget look of a Stephen King telemovie which is a nice concept (especially with the end reveal) but in execution you still end up with at best a TV look. There's also little to nothing shown of the collapse of society. All we see is an emptied asylum, wind blown trashed streets, and a near empty theater (Carpenter had a better end of the world theater in Escape from NY).

If you took the production design from PD and applied it to the script of ItMoM you might have something. But I wasn't really enamored with either. But I have to give the edge to ItMoM because it took a self referential script (and that usually never works out well in the end) and made a decent movie out of it.