Battle #235: Child's Play 2 (1990) VS Child's Play 3 (1991)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Sep 11, 2006.

?

vote

1. Child's Play 2 (1990)

84.1%
  2. Child's Play 3 (1991)

15.9%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

2. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Child's Play 2

That was the first one I saw and I like the foster sister, she's hot. Plus you get the toy factory ending which is brilliant.

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I hated Child's Play 3. However, Child's Play 2 is great fun, so I had to vote for it.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

part 2 easy

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I voted for 3 mainly because it was the first Child's Play movie I saw.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Numero Dos.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The second one bores me to tears. Went with 3, as it has some entertaining moments towards the end.

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

child's play 2 is one of my favorite horror movies :D

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Child's Play 2, as I dislike Justin Whalin's performances. Sorry, bro.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I don't dislike 3 as much as most, but still think 2 is easily the better film.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This is anything but an easy choice, but for me- the 3rd film is easily superior.

Andrew Robinson's death scene alone beat anything in the previous film- some of the worst deaths in a film ever. Ever. Ever. If you can say Child's Play 2 is a good film with a straight face, I will direct your attention to the death of the factory worker in the first 5 minutes. "Garbage Day!" has nothing on ... would ya look at that. It's a bad absurdist film. Like Army of Darkness but without the cleverness. Or any love at all. It was made to point and laugh at. Oh, and everyone looks like crap in it. Jenny Agutter is a glamorous woman and they turned her into a housefrau... without even giving her anything camp to do. Beth Grant looks younger in Donnie Darko- 11 years later. And if there's a greater crime than what they did to Agutter... it's Zabriskie. Although my complaint there is: why hire her if she's not going to do anything? And her death scene sucks (story of the movie).

The last 15 minutes however might be a good argument for it being better than part 3. But the 3rd film actually has Characterization... In fact, I'd say the characters - the ones that work (DaSilva and Whitehurst) - are stronger than those in the original film. I practically dare anyone to remember something about Aunt Maggie. Apart from her looks. Or Detective Norris... or was it North? Or Noth? Or No-Doz? Although, I would argue that everyone in the 3rd film works except Andy and Tyler. What makes the choice easy for me is the fact that the 3rd film is a vastly more interesting failure. There's only One Giant Mistake: why does Andy care about Chucky killing people in a military academy where only 4 cadets aside from him are decent, friendly people? The what, why, and how that highlight the wrongs from the 2nd film are phenomenal by comparison.

I could write a book about the missed opportunities from the 2nd film. But, if you're looking for tiny mayhem... Leprechaun 1-3 has so much more to offer than the original Child's Play trilogy.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Child's Play 2, easily.

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Because he's not an asshole? People don't deserve death because they're little buggers. Or do they?

I vote for Child's Play 2. Weak deaths, sure, but finding the step mother was great suspense imo. I also like the Factory showdown. Part 3 was great in the beginning, and the carnival finale... but I rewatched it a month ago and man is it dull.

Chucky was never really high up there with me, but I prefer 2 and 3 to Seed.

15. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

Always hated Child's Play 2. Aside from the original, the third is the only one I like.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Okay, that's movie logic. Now put yourself in his place. I'm sorry but Movie Andy clearly thought either his mother would magically rescue him or he was going to be accepted into some weird new family at the academy. In reality, this was 1991. "Lithium" 1991. And strangely enough, I think the movie knew that. But instead of giving Andy some serious issues, shading his character, making him a lot more morally ambiguous like I'm positive Don Mancini wanted to do for awhile- Andy is a freakin' boy scout supernaturally motivated to stop Chucky. Chucky coming back to life again is like freezing a glass of water, Andy screaming "you're alive...I have to stop you, you're not gonna kill all my 2.5 new friends out of a bunch of jarheaded cretins here!" is flying pigs and talking lawn-gnomes.

We don't have to think they deserved to die. We're allowed to question that as we watch Chucky kill. Horror is a genre that usually allows for gray areas and instead the movie went supermoral at the expense of turning Andy into an irrationally chipper, unaffected by anything anyone heaped onto him in a time when a lot of teens were starting to crack very publically, martyr.

17. Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny Member

I prefer Child's Play 2 by a large amount. It was maybe the first horror movie I saw growing up (it was either this Amityville 2 or Halloween 3 on TV). I saw it first at a school friends sleep over in a double bill on of rented VHS with Pet Sematary 1. At the time I found it quite scary and remember having trouble sleeping after. I didn't see Child's Play 1 until 7 years later.

As for part 3 I am not a fan of the setting or the characters. Also here the UK it has a negative association due to the Jamie Bulger murder case. I think the only thing I like about part 3 is the music score.

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

Child's Play 3. I like the military school setting, the climax in the funhouse is the best of the series and Perrey Reeves is an added bonus. I'm not a fan of 2 at all. Of the ones I've seen (never bothered with Seed), it's the worst of the series.

19. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

20. Christy

Christy Member

Child's Play 2 (1990) Part 3 sucked!