Battle #36: Alone In The Dark (1982) VS Clownhouse (1989)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jun 25, 2006.

?

vote

1. Alone In The Dark (1982)

65.2%
  2. Clownhouse (1989)

34.8%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

How do you prefer your trio of escaped psychopaths? Plain or dressed up as Clowns? Vote!

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Awww, come on. I really enjoy both films. BUT - Sam Rockwell as a bully brother helps me choose Clownhouse.

And by buying, watching and enjoying this movie, I am not supporting Victor Salva. Really.

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh hell, this is really really tough. I love both films, but I went with Clownhouse because it is more fun. And no, I will not comment on what happened during the making of this film because I didn't let that interfere with my enjoyment of it (and yes, I knew about that before I watched it).

4. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Despite the controversy surrounding it, I love Clownhouse and find it to be a very unsettling film. Having the clowns remain silent throughout the film was a perfect idea, as it really makes them more sinister. It could've easily fallen into a trap of having the clowns act like clowns.

That said, I had to go with Alone in the Dark. It's got a great cast for a slasher, and the killers all have their endearing quirks. The knife through the bed scene is classic, and I also love the little twist that the film throws in there towards the end. It works well and took me by complete surprise when I first saw it.

5. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Alone In The Dark is an underated classic...just look at that cast,it don't get much better.Clownhouse is creepy...but the tighty whities and Salva kill the film for me.

6. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

clownhouse is awesome i went with that one also love alone in the dark too

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Alone In The Dark because it is a better movie with great actors and because, unlike Clownhouse, it doesn't make me feel like an accomplice to a crime.

Not all creepy is good creepy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  9. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Same here, Clownhouse just beats it out.

10. Rocker416

Rocker416 Member

Not too close for me............Alone in the Dark is one of my all time faves.

11. Luna

Luna Guest

Alone in the Dark for me by default. Clownhouse automatically loses because any film that makes me feel ashamed to own it has moved past the "I'll give it a chance" area to the "Dear god, the molester is filming his victim in his underwear and it's captured forever on film, MY EYES ARE BURNING" place. Sorry, but I just can't move past a kid getting molested, as I'm not yet that evolved a human being apparently. Kind of kills any possible enjoyment of the film and kills it dead. Besides, there are plenty of other perfectly good films I could watch that wouldn't make me feel like taking a boiling hot Brillo bath.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoy both films, but have to go with Clownhouse...even with the controversy. I enjoyed the film long before I had ever heard about the criminal activity involved.

13. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

The controversy adds to its charm. :)

14. Yeah....a 12 year old blowing a big fat old guy and being videotaped is so charming.....

15. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Alone in the Dark, simply because Clownhouse sucks...with or without the backstory.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i have a dvd-r of clownhouse so it's not quite so bad, at least i ain't financially supporting the asshole

17. Luna

Luna Guest

I'd like to add that before I ever knew about the molestation, I had seen Clownhouse once as a rental and thought it was fairly decent. I bought a used VHS tape of it for a dollar soon after. Then I found out what happened some years later, watched it again and saw the movie in a completely different way, with a new clarity. Quite frankly, it was repulsive to me. I don't plan to watch that movie ever again.

18. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I know! Glad we're on the same page. :)

19. So what are you trying to say Luna?

20. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Clownhouse for me. AITD was a cool flick with some decent kills but the story was poorly written for the most part. Clownhouse was creepy and had great atmosphere.