Battle #86: Bug (1975) VS Mimic (1997)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 21, 2006.

?

vote

1. Bug (1975)

42.9%
  2. Mimic (1997)

57.1%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

2. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Bug!!!! Mimic was a piece of shit!

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Don't let Mr. Funny Shoes hear that :D

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I went with Mimic because there are scenes that you can tell a great director is at the helm, but neither are anything to write home about.

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Egads, I can't vote for either of these steaming piles. While each had their moments, I'd end up voting more against one than for either, and I really can't weigh the pros and cons of each against the other.

Bug had some interesting concepts going for it, but the "man infatuated with his bug" love story was creepy only in an awkward "this is weird, but not in a good way". The intelligent bug offspring angle needed a lot of improvement, especially compared to its contemporary bug movie Phase IV and given the contrived "bugs take revenge, then all conveniently pack up and go home" ending.

Mimic also had some interesting concepts, being a twist on the classic "predator species amoung us" premise. But it mostly bypassed the clever investigation path of this idea for the cheap shock & gore factor. Add in some cookie cutter human drama and a nice clean "bugs get wiped out, mankind wins" ending, and I basically ended up tossing the movie into the "what a shame, it could have been a contender" catagory. This movie was far more ambitious than Bug in the ideas it initially attempted to bite into, but it did a poorer job in actually chewing on what it had.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

bug

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Mimic. I saw Bug years ago, and it freaked me out as a kid, but I'm a fan of Mimic. Don't see it as being that bad, quite frankly. In fact, I'ts kinda good!

8. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Bug was better when i saw it as a youngin..it did not age so well.Mimic in this match..

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  9. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Bug gets my vote.

10. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Bug gets my vote. The scene where that stupid woman in the Brady house kitchen set talks to herself about stewing chickens, gets a bug up her wig, then turns into a stuntman in a wig on fire is pretty classic.

Also, the scene earlier with the cat (who also looks to be wearing a wig, just a smaller one) is pretty funny too.

11. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Just watched the DVD of Bug for the second time. I give up on it. Went Mimic here. Not that Mimic is good, but damn, Bug is tedious.

13. Fumi

Fumi Member

Bug, only because I haven't seen it in decades but I still remember it. I certainly won't be saying that about Mimic 25 years from now.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I found Paramount's Bug DVD in the clearance bin at FYE today. $2.97! I've never seen this one before, but I nabbed a copy.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I just watched MIMIC recently and liked it much more than when it came out, but I goota go with BUG because it has Patty McCormack and exploding bugs! :D

17. Wraith7092

Wraith7092 New Member

Definately "Bug". I was 5 years old when I saw it; I've been terrified of cockroaches and palmetto bugs ever since.

18. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

"Mimic" is a very well-done and superbly directed monster flick and definitely stood out amongst the drek that was offered at the time (when Kevin Williamson was bombarding the genre with crap). Nicely crafted, darkly beautiful and the creature is pretty awesome.

Though I love "Bug" and it did freak me out when I saw it as a kid, the film doesn't hold up as well today, not that this is the reason it loses here, but it definitely has a hokey storyline and just doesn't have the strong essence "Mimic" has.

"Mimic" has the edge...that said, both are fun films and would make a great double feature.

-UJ

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I gotta go with Mimic only because it kept my interest and has a certain creepiness to it. Bug was just too boring. I would find myself dozing off multiple times during it.

20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Mimic all the way!

Really looking forward to the director´s cut that is coming out on Blu-Ray soon :)