Battle Royal II

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

There was some discussion in the War of the Worlds reaction thread about referencing 9/11 and terrorism, and how that could be considered manipulative. Anyone who agrees on that should definately look the other way for 90% of this film.

The winners of previous Battle Royals including our protagonists from the first enstallment have become world wide terrorists. They have banded together against the adults of the world and have caused feats of destruction all to familiar to recent history. Now they have decided to take over Battle Royal island probably to prevent any further matches. That doesn't stop the adults as they alter the rules of Battle Royal in order to deal with the terror group who have taken their beloved island. The new rules are:
    - The new batch of students are to infiltrate the terror group as a team
    - the game is won by eliminating the leader of the terror group
    - they are each partnered. If your partner dies, your necklace explodes
    - they still have three days to "win" the game.
    As you can imagine the plot obviously changes once these terrorist discover who's tryng to kill them.
    I kind of feel that BR2 is almost BR2 and BR3 in that the film takes a different turn about half way through. The "heros" aren't really defined up untill then. There is loads of blood and gore that BR fans will enjoy. However, this time all about guns - no knives and stabbing weapons.

So did I like it? Yeah, it was good and I really don't mind the commentary on contamporary world affairs involving terrorism and war. In fact perspective is always welcome to me. But I have to say the first one is better. Purely for the simplicity of it. It had a "lets see what happens!" element to it. This one has some of that too, but not as much. If you like the first one, you'll like this one, but it gets off the usual BR track at the half way mark. Just know that going in and you're in for a good action/violent film.

I give this a 7/10
    I felt it was relying on some predictable and formulaic war/action scenes in some places. The characters were better in the first one too.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought some of the scenes were way too over the top in terms of being overdramatic. And I am not talking about the violence. It tried too hard to be more than the first one was and failed IMO. I should go back and view
    BR2 again even though I felt one viewing of this film was enough for my lifetime.

The first one was just so cool and did not give me overdose in the drama department.

Glad to see you liked it though. I really wanted to like it, maybe that was my problem.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well, I liked that it was attempting to be different and still have a relevant message/commentary. If I'm in the mood for BR. I'll be reaching for the first one hands down.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Interesting post. I prefer Battle I over the second myself.

have you ever tried Mean Guns 1997
    staight to video with Ice-T and Christopher Lambert

came out about three years before Battle I. I wonder if they got the idea from this film?

5. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

When was the manga written? (for battle royale)

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

don't know

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Mean Guns is an awesome film. I first saw it on Showtime about five years ago. I wish it would get a better DVD release.

8. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

My only complaint with the first film was that all these kids had secret crushes revealed while their friend of obsession is lying their dying. Does every 9th grader have a crush on a classmate that they feel must be confessed right before death. I heard there is even more of these occurrences in the sequel so I've stayed away. So is it true that there are a lot more of these scenes in the sequel? I'm not a real big fan of gunplay so with these two combining factors it's really losing my interest.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

"Kimberly Warren" was pretty hot. wish she was in more movies.

yea the dvd is full screen with only a trailer.

But its got Thom Mathews from ROTHLD for $5.99 how can you go wrong?

10. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I really disliked BR2, though I thought BR1 was very good.

There are WAY too many scenes of kid A getting shot, kid B running over to cradle kid A while he dies, and then kid B screaming and going nutty with his gun. It got pretty predictable.

I also didn't like how totally ineffective the military was in that movie. A bunch of kids who had never used weapons before (for god's sake there's a scene with them literally saying things like "How do I use this thing?!?!" at the beginning of the movie) are able to take out the best the military has to offer??

SPOILERS BELOW... RUB YOUR MAGIC CRAYON(tm) OVER THE BLACK AREA BELOW TO SEE A SECRET MESSAGE!!!! :banana:
    Also, why not let the USA bomb the frigging island? Also, why not grow some balls and refer to the US as the US instead of "that country"?? Also, what about the ending where everyone just happens to randomly meet in some middle eastern country?? Huh?!

It shows that the movie was not written by the same person who wrote the first one.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--There are WAY too many scenes of kid A getting shot, kid B running over to cradle kid A while he dies, and then kid B screaming and going nutty with his gun. It got pretty predictable.--

Erm, this is Battle Royale you're talking about, right?

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

the Anime News Network says the Japanese Volume 1 was released 2000-11-30.
    But it's based on a book which I think was released in April 1999.

13. maskull

I think he was talking about BR2. That sure sounds like it anyway.

I really didn't enjoy BR2. BR was a great movie but BR2 seemed to have a lot (too much) of melodrama. They could've spliced Vader's "NOOOOOO" from Sith into this movie, and it would have fit in perfectly.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Heh heh. Frankly, that was most of my impression of Battle Royale. Screaming, someone shot, confesses on their death bed, someone shoots a gun.....

15. maskull

Battle Royale was like that to a lesser extent...in BR2 it was non-stop scenes like that.

16. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

That's what I had heard and since that is my major complaint about the first film, I'm staying away from this one with a sniper on the lookout.