Battle Royale (Best version - merged)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by KillerCannabis, May 2, 2002.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Best version of Battle Royale is???

I'm going to CompUSA in the next week or two to get an Apex DVD player and mod it so I can play any region I damn well please. I love Battle Royale more than anything right now and I wanted to know what region put out the BEST version available for this movie? I want the best copy possible. My only requirements are that its 16X9 and either English subtitles or dubbed. But I'm flexible on all that. Someone tell me the best version so I can get it. Thanks in advance.

2. Maupin

Maupin Guest

The picture quality on the Japanese region 2 disc is very nice, but unfortunately it doesn't have English subtitles.

3. dlundh

dlundh Guest

It's a tough call.

The R2Jap disc is not subtitled which means it's pretty much out of the question for us who don't understand japanese.

The R3-disc has DTS-sound that really rocks but the the film is not presented anamorphic. It still has very good picture quality though.

The R2UK-disc is anamorphic but has only 2-channel Dolby Digital sound.

I have the R3-disc and am very pleased with it.

Later this year a swedish 2-disc release of the movie will come out with both versions of the movie. If it will be subtitled in english is unknown to me.

4. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Unless your Apex Player and mods turn out to include progressive scan and the pantera 2 chip, your anamorphic PAL widescreen discs are not going to convert properly to NTSC. The aspect ratio will be incorrect and the transfer will be squished or stretched. Some transfers may "look" fine and others will swear there is nothing wrong but it will be off and not look the way it's supposed to. It's a fact that you can't argue. You need progressive scan capabilities and the chip or your just wasting money on anamorphic PAL discs. However, if the PAL disc is a non-anamorphic widecreen transfer you'll be ok. Others who have an Apex or some other kind of player without the progressive scan will argue until they are blue in the face that their anamorphic PAL disc's look fine but either they don't know what they are talking about or are feeling the sting of getting what they pay for but quite simply they are lying unless they have the progressive scan capabilities and the pantera 2. You get what you pay for so be careful. Better off getting a player like the Malata which is the only machine that can properly do the job. No argument can be made against it, plain and simple. Those that argue it are bullshitting you and don't know what they are talking about. I mean this response to be positive in a good way becaue I dont like seeing people ripped off. :)

5. dlundh

dlundh Guest

Ok, so here's the lowdown:

R2Jap: NTSC
    R3: NTSC
    R2UK: PAL
    R2SE: PAL

6. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I watched the R3 release of Battle Royale...

...last night and was pleased at the quality, especially taking into consideration the price.

Tartan in the UK are releasing an NTSC release. Here's what I've been able to glean from elsewhere (thanks, carnifern) -

Tartan Video has taken the challenge of the latest home entertainment innovation and has produced its first DVD to utilise NTSC progressive scan technology, currently a unique feature of NTSC players, now available in the UK. Progressive scan technology substantially enhances picture quality and the viewing experience as a whole, but while it remains a feature of NTSC DVD players only, this added value cannot be offered by DVDs made in the PAL format. Further enhanced features available on this NTSC release are the new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and the newly created digital subtitles which Tartan Video was unable to access for its original PAL release. Expect a release on May 27th.

Sounds an interesting development but I would have loved to hear news about a director's cut being released with English subs! I live in hope!

7. dlundh

dlundh Guest

I've inquired about the swedish release to find out if it will have english subs, I also hinted that it might sell even better if it has them. ;)

I'll let you know what I find out.

8. dlundh

dlundh Guest

Due to contractual obligations the swedish disc will have no english subs. Sorry.

9. dlundh

dlundh Guest

Tartan UK are re-releasing Battle Royale in anamorphic NTSC with DD 5.1. This may very well be the first NTSC disc in the UK...?

I got this from http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/

10. DVD Connoisseur

Is there an echo in here?:D

11. dlundh

dlundh Guest

Read BEFORE I post. Read BEFORE I post. Sorry. ;)

12. DVD Connoisseur

LOL! Hey, just goes to show, "Great minds think alike!":D

13. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I recently got ahold of a copy of BR on DVD. I am assuming its the R3 disk, but it may even be an R0 version of the R3 disk (not sure right now, just borrowed it from a friend). Its in non-anamorphic widescreen, Japanese language track w/English or Chinese subs.

I noticed 2 things straight off the bat. One, the disk has this overall greenish-blue tint on the picture throughout the whole movie. I probably would have never noticed it if I had not compared it to my BR VCD. While the VCD has a vastly lower quality, you can still see parts of the film (in particular, daylight scenes) that should be much brighter. Its not so horrible that the movie is unwatchable, but its noticeable if you've ever watched another version of it. Perhaps this is the way the movie is supposed to look, and I've just gotten used to the look of my VCD?

Another thing that caught my eye was the fact that the DVD cut the original intro out. On this DVD, the very first shot of the movie is of the bottom of the helicopter bringing in the winner of the previous BR. The VCD begins with a company logo over the sea crashing onto the rocks of the BR island, and then begins with a short intro with the BR logo in the background and some narration about the BR act.

14. I ordered the Region 3 DVD from Diabolikdvd the other day, I should get it by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to checking it out, the only bad thing is that it's the cut version.

15. dlundh

dlundh Guest

There is no "cut" version of Battle Royale out on DVD.

The movie is available in 2 versions. One the first cut, the second labelled director's cut. The Dir Cut expands some character background from what I've heard.

R3 has not been censored and is not cut either way.

16. Ok, good. After I ordered it I read somewhere that someone said it was cut. Good thing that it isn't.

17. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I found a copy at Amoeba yesterday for $26. It was a PAL R0 disc with 16X9 and a few extras that I dont think were all that special. What is the running time on the uncut version of the movie? It's one of my favorite flicks of all time and I'd kill for a good copy on disc.

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Which Best Battle Royale Dvd To Get

Which one is the Best.

And don't include the Tartan Tin Please.

19. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, the copy I have is the Region 3 disc that has the DTS track and a few trailers. The subs are alright, the sound is great, but not animorphic. Still, I've had no complaints with it.

20. Original: Tartan R0 NTSC 5.1 DVD
    Newer Version: Tartan R2 LE Tin (sorry, it's the best version out at the moment with English subs)

The HK R3 DVD is also great but not as good as the updated Tartan disc. It is cheaper though and features an okay DTS track.