Bava's SHOCK Cover and Literature Cover

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Andrew, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Okay, my grandmother owns a book store, and for the fall I need to read a bunch of books for school. She had one out already for me, and it was WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson. The second I saw the cover I said "Holy shit it's SHOCK!". The cover for this book is nearly identical to ANCHOR BAY's DVD cover. I could not find the cover to the book that resembles this, but here is the AB artwork:
    [​IMG]
    The book's artwork is identical except the body is holding flowers and there is another small difference. Now okay, I checked IMDb and it did not credit a book influence. I still haven't seen the movie nor read the book, so I have no idea if there's any connection. Is it just the same artist or what? Anyone who could find the other book cover would be greatly thanked, and anyone with any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Well, Anchor Bay's cover is from the original Italian release - it's possible the Italian 1978 artwork was "influenced" by Jackson's book. Very interesting! Anyone know fer sure?

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It's amazing how similar they are. I had to look hard to find the differences. I found out some information on the publication with this cover - it was released in 1962 in paperback by Popular Library, New York, according to what I can find. However, after repeated searches, I still can't find a picture of it online.

4. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I can't speak to any similarity in the cover art but I hope you like "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". It's a fantastic novel - way ahead of its time. I'm a big Shirley Jackson fan. If you get a chance, read "The Haunting of Hill House", the basis for the classic film "The Haunting". While I love the film, the book is more fully textured and more of a character study. I would say it's one of my favorite horror novels.

5. crank

crank Guest

When I got that DVD, I showed it to my mother, and she said the painting was a replication of a famous piece of art that she remembered from when she was a kid, but she couldn't remember anything else about it.

crank

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hey, this is actually and interesting post! :eek ;) :rolleyes:

Seriously though I'm really interested in this, so any who may know or even help don't hesitate to speak up...

7. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

What I'm interested in is seeing this book cover. The only covers I've seen for "We Have Always Lived In The Castle" have been totally different than the Shock cover. I'm really curious,can someone post the book's cover?

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm bumping this up, because my mom got a good scanner today for $10 (!), so if I can get it to work I'll scan the cover of the book I have here. I'm not sure if it'll be in color, but you'll atleast be able to see what I mean.

Assuming I get this to work, how do you upload a pic from your computer onto the net?

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Okay I'm bumping it up again, cus I finally scanned it. Look at the similarities, they're insane.

10. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Wow:eek: They are so similar, did you read the book?

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Nope, still haven't read it, turns out I didn't even have to.

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Hey, thanks for finally posting this scan Andrew. I would like to know the name of the painting or the artist if anyone knows, I like it!
    Adrian

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Was looking for a thread about Shock because I found the book mentioned above at a garage sale and had to buy it because of the cover, then I found this thread and thought I'd post the picture anyway since the original is long gone.
    [​IMG]

X-human and dave13 like this.