Benson and Moorhead's Spring (2015)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

From the directors of Resoultion (one of my favorite films of 2013). Does anyone plan on seeing this, because I am real excitied for it.

Synopsis
    Evan (Pucci) is a young American fleeing to Europe to escape his past. While backpacking along the Italian coast, everything changes during a stop at an idyllic Italian village, where he meets and instantly connects with the enchanting and mysterious Louise. A flirtatious romance begins to bloom between the two – however, Evan soon realizes that Louise has been harboring a monstrous, primordial secret that puts both their relationship and their lives in jeopardy.

Official Trailer

[​IMG]

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought Resolution was a total bore, easily one of the most overrated genre films of the past few years. Trailer looks very derivative of Afflicted and Contracted, neither of which I was a huge fan of. If it garners decent buzz, I'd probably check it out for free on NetFlix, but it's far from the top of my watch list.

Wow, Lou Taylor Pucci looks unrecognizable in that trailer.

3. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Although I liked "Resolution" a lot more, Spring is still another solid effort from Benson & Moorhead. If you go into this expecting a creature feature blood bath you will be disappointed. What you get here is more of a drama based romance with a horror movie flair. The film is very heavy on dialogue and character developement so expect a very slow burn until the final act. The Italian landscape is goregeous, and the cinematography compliments it very well. I can't complain about much of anything because this is a very well exceuted film from start to finish, I just wasn't crazy about the ending. The last 30 minutes or so really builds up tension, leading the viewer to believe the finale would be balls to the walls and nihilistic. Instead, it kind of just ends, leaving the out come hanging.

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I can't believe I'm only the second person to comment on this. I actually had a difficult time falling asleep last night after viewing this film; such is the way it has stayed with me and I continue to think on it. At first I worry I was watching another mumblecore genre wank - blanched cinematography, handheld camera, overuse of the word "fuck," phony blase attitude toward drugs, alcohol, and sex. But the film turns around and comes into its own as soon as Louise is introduced. And the way she's introduced - WOW. I'll admit there is a bit of a male fantasy involved with this couple. But Evan's everyman charm is part of what makes their chemistry pop off screen. There are a few hiccups along the way, and make no mistake, this is a film about love first and anything horrific or otherworldly second, but I will definitely be revisiting Spring.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Finally got around to this one. A MAJOR improvement over Resolution (although the bar was pretty low). However, I kind of wish it wasn't marketed as a horror film. I kept waiting for a horror pay-off that never came. If you're thinking that it's all building to a big grotesque horror finale, you will be sorely disappointed.

However, if you're a fan of Linklater's Before trilogy, you'll probably really dig this one. I am, and I did for the most part, although I wasn't as ecstatic about it as other genre fans seem to be. It's a very easy, laid-back watch, so I was never bored by it. Unlike Resolution, both of the leads are very engaging. Also enjoyed some of the genre cameos near the beginning, such as The Battery's Jeremy Gardner and a topless Augie Duke (from A Lure, a major guilty pleasure).

Definitely worth a viewing, but again, don't approach it as a horror film.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I freaking loved this film!