Benson and Moorhead's The Endless (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, May 7, 2017.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

From the directors of Spring and Resolution (to which this film is apparently a followup/quasi-sequel):

Synopsis:

Two brothers who escaped a cult as teenagers return to their home after receiving a mysterious message. They discover the group's beliefs may be more true than they once thought.

First clip:

Distribution:

Well Go USA Entertainment has acquired all North American rights for Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson’s sci-fi/horror film The Endless which premiered in the Narrative Feature competition section of the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival. The film will receive a traditional platform theatrical release in early 2018, with a digital and home video release afterwards.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEndlessFilm/

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Big fan of Benson and Moorhead's previous films, especially Resolution which I caught at a film festival screening with the duo in attendance - even went out for late night grub with them after. Been looking forward to The Endless since they announced it as their next project.

3. zbinks

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Honestly, these guys are brilliant and so underrated. Resolution was great and Endless is f*ing ridiculous. I still have faith someone will throw tons of money towards their future projects. The news of their distribution is a good sign. The funny thing is their movies are not even really violent but I am sucked into their universe/mythology.

If these guys got a Lost kind of TV series they wouldn't f* it up like those f*boys.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Colin likes this.
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

I've been waiting to see this for the better part of a year now, March 23rd can't come soon enough.

6. Colin

Colin Active Member

New Trailer!

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

8. CPT HOOK

The Endless is being released tomorrow. I'm on the fence whether I want to blind-buy the blu-ray or just give it a rental.

I thought Resolution was awful, and I liked Spring but have little desire to own or revisit.

However, I LOVE movies about cults. The Conspiracy, The Sacrament, The Invitation, Believers, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Red State, etc.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I really want to see a good movie made about how normal people get suckered into a cult. Not so much the Satanic kind, but just the weirdo hippy commune kind. Believe it or not, one of my favorite depictions was a late episode of 21 Jump Street, after Johnny Depp had left the show. One of the new cops has to go undercover in the cult, but the vegan diet, the sleep deprivation, and forced labor cause him to get brainwashed.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just an fyi for those who would be interested:

TORONTO AFTER DARK and WELL GO USA are pleased to offer fans the opportunity to own THE ENDLESS on Blu-ray, and receive it before anyone else! Each copy is personally AUTOGRAPHED by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead. LIMITED QUANTITY available, so once these copies are gone, they're gone. A TAD exclusive for our fans!

$30 SHIPPED within Canada
    $40 SHIPPED to the USA and worldwide.

100% of the profits go towards the festival. Throughout our existence, it’s been our goal to keep Toronto After Dark not only affordable, but as accessible as possible for the fans and the filmmakers. With unique offers such as this, we try our best to give back to everyone that have made this festival so special over the years.

ORDER TODAY!
    Kindly email: christian.torontoafterdark@gmail.com for details.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

^Just a warning though, this dude's grasp of Paypal makes it a little bit of a chore to order. Just got mine though. The Bluray cover is autographed and not the slipcase. Further, he sends it in a bubble wrap envelope. So clearly does not collect blurays. I would say my slip is and 8/10 condition.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. CPT HOOK

With the current price of $12.74 from DeepDiscount for the blu-ray, I went ahead with the blind-buy. Great price for a new release blu-ray.

Hoping this isn't a one-time watch like Resolution or Spring.

12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Pretty good movie. Great first half, but goes a little too bananas in the second half. Plus, two hours is a bit much. Still, there's more good than bad.

sinister likes this.
  13. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/2005736849460299

14. CPT HOOK

I got this on blu-ray over a week ago, but I had family visiting then I went on a trip to Chicago. But I'm finally back home and can start catching up on my movies.

Tonight is already reserved for Devil Fish and Traffik, so probably tomorrow night for The Endless.

However, I'm hearing that the movie ties pretty heavily into Resolution. I've seen Resolution, but don't remember much about it except disliking it. How well versed in Resolution do you need to be in order to understand The Endless? I'll probably just read the Wikipedia summary, as I have no desire to revisit Resolution.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

That's a bit of a spoiler, that yes, The Endless does tie into Resolution somewhat. But it is not a sequel or anything like that so you don't have to have seen Resolution - or have liked that one - to enjoy The Endless (although I can't guarantee you will or won't based on your view of not liking Resolution seeing as I'm a fan of Resolution myself). Although you will get more out of it having seen Resolution, but it's not necessary. To elaborate:

The Endless takes place in the same universe as Resolution, and Benson and Moorhead's characters from The Endless end up connecting to characters they cameo'd as in Resolution, as well as some characters/ideas from Resolution make an appearance/connection in The Endless.

They are overall quite different movies though.

Colin and CPT HOOK like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

Had planned on watching The Endless on Wednesday, but I went to see First Reformed that night and wasn't sure I was in the mood for two heavy psychological movies in one evening. So ended up finally watching it last night.

This is BY FAR their best film. But it's still problematic, specifically a 20 minute chunk in the middle that brings the movie to a screeching halt. The first hour is terrific, then it goes completely off the rails for the next 20 minutes or so, but manages to come back together a bit for the finale. And yes, I'm talking about the incredibly boring scene where
    they go back to the Resolution cabin,
    which seemed to go on forever. That should have definitely been left on the cutting room floor, and the movie would have been a tighter 95 - 100 minutes without it. It also would have kept the focus of the movie on Justin, Aaron, and the cult, where it should be.

I did like some of the subtler references to Resolution though, such as
    the wife looking for her husband, or the mental patient.
    They should have kept those little nods, but ditched the stuff that beats you over the head with it.

Major misstep aside, this is a really fun and engaging genre movie that keeps you on your toes. Having the directors cast themselves in the movie could have been a major no-no, but I thought they were both really good. They play brothers in the movie, and having been through three movies together, the dynamic is inherently there. Loved the setting, and everything came together really well at the end. Also
    instead of just another time loop movie, which we've seen before, I liked how they used it as a commentary for our real lives, how we're all kind of stuck in a time loop of wake up, go to work, go to bed, wake up, repeat.

The extras on the blu-ray are terrific as well, especially the 30 minute making-of. Justin and Aaron are extremely animated and full of information. They even encourage you to contact them on Twitter.

MorallySound likes this.