Best American Horror movie of the decade

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Jan 12, 2010.

?

Best American Horror

1. Paranormal Activity

3.5%
  2. Devil’s Rejects

8.8%
  3. Grindhouse

8.8%
  4. The Mist

14.0%
  5. Session 9

8.8%
  6. The Hills Have Eyes

1.8%
  7. May

8.8%
  8. Hostel

3.5%
  9. Drag Me to Hell

3.5%
  10. Open Water

1.8%
  11. Dawn of the Dead

5.3%
  12. Cloverfield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. American Psycho

3.5%
  14. 1408

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Saw

1.8%
  16. The Strangers

3.5%
  17. The Ring

1.8%
  18. Frailty

10.5%
  19. The Ruins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (Specify)

10.5%
  1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Wow. There were an awful lot of good American movies this decade!

I went with Frailty ultimately. But I was really torn between that, The Mist, Grindhouse and Session 9, with kudos as well to May, Cloverfield, American Psycho and The Devil's Rejects.

2. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

For me it was between May and Frailty.

Vote goes to Frailty.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

My faves on the list provided would be Grindhouse, The Mist, Drag Me To Hell, Frailty and May. If I went solely by movie theatre experience Grindhouse would win easily, but I give May the edge for its originality and my level of enjoyment even after multiple viewings. On a sidenote I think I actually enjoyed The Mist more in the black and white version included with the Blu-Ray.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I chose Silent Hill...fuckin love that movie!!!

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Silent Hill is listed as a France-Canada-Japan co-production

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, keep it in the states CuckooChubbyGertrude :)

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

imdb also includes USA in that mix.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually I looked it up further, apparently an America company bought the distribution rights. It didn't actually have anything to do with the creation of the film. It was less involved then Canada was and I didn't even include it on the Best of Canada list.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's hard to believe since at least it was written by a Canadian and shot primarily in that country. I can't quite figure out what part the Americans played in the creation of Silent Hill other than the distribution as you've already pointed out. Is any of the cast American? I know the leads aren't. Don't know about the little girl...

Problem with these multi-national film productions, they're not going to fit in any of these "Best ____ Horror movie of the decade" polls you're doing Ash. Maybe a poll for "Best Multinational Horror Movie of the decade" would be the proper solution? Off hand I can't think of any others so I don't know how much competition Silent Hill would have, but it's an idea.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I know Martyrs is another film, it was a Canadian co production as the creators had a hard time finding funding in France but I don't really consider it a Canadian film. I consider Martyrs from France. I don't know what we could do for those weird co production films.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Devil's Rejects.

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Too many great ones in there to chose. There have been a few clunkers for sure, but for the most part I have enjoyed at least some aspects of most of the horror films of the past ten years.
    1408, The Mist, Jeepers Creepers, Trick R Treat, Drag Me To Hell, The Orphan and many more..all were entertaining and worthwhile for me.

13. geeare

geeare Guest

OTHER

I really liked The Strangers. But if I were to go with the funnest horror I'd have to say Trick 'r Treat.

14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

My big love goes to Session 9. I certainly don't think it's over-rated and it gave me more genuinely original scares than any other film here. And, it certainly has the best ambiance I've seen in a film in a long time.

But, I have to say, it does have good competition here.

Frailty and May felt for like dramas with some horror/fantasy trappings. Good films, but still they lacked something for me that kept them from getting under my skin.

1408 and Silent Hill were great surprises and, I thought, some of the best big budget horror to come out in a long time.

Mist, however, I do think is a bit over-rated. Again, not a bad film, but certainly not better than the others I've named so far.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Current Standings..

1. The Mist (8)
    2. Session 9 (5)
    2. May (5)
    2. Frailty (5)
    5. Devil’s Rejects (4)
    5. Grindhouse (4)
    7. Dawn of the Dead (2)
    7. The Strangers (2)

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I love The Mist, but I went with The Ring. I cannot understand what it is about this movie that I like so much. I wonder if The Ring would receive more love if it wasn't for it's awful sequel.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

But were the characters mostly American? I haven't seen the movie. It actually looks like a video game and if I want to see a video game movie, I should probably start with Resident Evil, which I also skipped... because I already saw Mortal Kombat: the movie.

I know exactly what you mean about that. But, that's what most horror filmmakers have been trying to use instead of horror this decade. The ones who didn't use outright "torture"-styled violence and lame viscera want phony-psychology that ends up feeling like failed drama (i.e.: The Girl Next Door). In May, it's sexual. In Frailty, it's religious. But I defended May because it actually works as a character study. Frailty was disturbing enough for awhile. For one reason. Then the shitty ending destroyed it and, it became disturbing for another reason. Twists are cheap. And it worked best when it wasn't playing around, trying to be clever.

And as for getting under the skin... a couple films came close. Frailty was more like nails on a chalkboard rather than anything skin-piercing.

I feel it's a lot overrated. And if that's what ends up being named the best horror film by popular vote of this decade, that just proves how bad the decade was. Because The Mist is hugely disappointing. Maybe it's about more than just a monster, but if the monster is what is responsible for the majority of human death and it looks like CGI, obvious CGI, then it doesn't work.

18. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This is probably the worst argument I've heard from someone trying to convince me that The Mist is a bad movie. The movie IS about more than just the monsters, the movie is a character study of the human condition, and what people are capable of doing or believing when the unknown is staring them right in the face. Sure the CGI is shitty at some points, but honestly I've seen far worse. But if the CGI distracts you so much from the focus of the story, then there is not much I can say that will convince you other wise.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Most Canadian films pretend to be American.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

My Faves: May, Open Water, Wrong Turn, Grindhouse...pretty good decade actually. Quite enjoyed The Ring, Dawn Of The Dead, Hatchet, The Ruins and Orphan as well.

Hard to choose actually. May is so odd that I love it, Open Water probably scares me the most, Wrong Turn is the one I've watched the most, and Grindhouse just made me grin alot..especially all the way through Death Proof.

Guess I'll vote for Wrong Turn due to sheer number of times watched. Still really love it every time I watch it. Maybe it's not the best, but it's the most enjoyable.