Best Budget Movie Packs?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrHerbertWest, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

At work, I am constantly surrounded by the cheapie movie packs usually put out by Brentwood. I saw a couple with interesting titles but wanted to start this thread... What are YOUR favorite packs? I'd like to pick some up and they're relatively cheap, but I'd like guidance. :D

2. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'm a big fan of those 50 movie sets. Quality is crap but loads of good titles buried away in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Great for when you get a nasty cold and have to spend the week in bed!

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Can anyone vouch for the quality of the following?

[​IMG]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Shriek Show is kinda sucky, yes? If so, are these at least uncut movies? Widescreen?

I can't find any reviews yet, consarnit!

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Is there a site/list with all the Shriek Show triple feature releases? I've never heard of this one and would like to order whichever ones I'm missing.

5. Agent Z

6. Agent Z

Well, you can go to the Media Blasters site and see Shriek Show's current offerings, but they really don't tell you much beyond that.

Some of the titles listed:

Wicked Women (Flesh for the Beast / Werewolf Woman / Nightmares Come at Night) (1977)

Demons Triple Feature: The Other Hell/Demons III: The Ogre/Black Demons

Jungle Girls Pack (Golden Temple Amazons / Amazonia / Diamonds of Kilimandjaro) <---- Nice user review!

Evil Animals Triple Feature-Day of the Animals/Grizzly/Devil Dog

7. DrHerbertWest

They usually take the single disc releases and just throw them in a cardboard cover with the other two titles. I believe all three are widescreen. I have one on order at work. So far I've got the Post Apocalyptic Set, the Zombie set, the Evil Animals set and the Jungle set.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

This one's worth getting for The Bronx Executioner and Hands Of Steel alone. Very good cheese. The other two movies are The New Barbarians which is already available from Shriek Show and Assassin - a turd of a movie. Not even the extended R-Rated Home Video version they included was watchable.

[​IMG]

Includes How Awful About Allan which is simply brilliant. The Black Room is kinda weird but not a bad movie, co-starring Linnea Quigley. The Giant Spider Invasion is fun but there's a better DVD of this movie out there. Invasion From Inner Earth is borderline crap/semi interesting.

9. Agent Z

Ahhh cool! I figured there might be a catch, as the single titles are more by themselves than each triple feature set! The triple features are super cheap at Deep Discount!

Thanks for the info! :)

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I love those Shriekshow sets. I actually compared them to the single releases at the local HMV and I was getting the 3 movies in the pack for less than one of the movies cost as a stand alone. Maybe not all the sets work out as good as that but it's still a pretty sweet deal for movies I wanted anyway.

11. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I like the Media Blasters 3 packs. And as far as dual sided discs go, you can't beat Anchor Bay's Drive-In classics.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was at another Best Buy a couple weeks ago, and they had a horror section like the one here used to, i.e. sweet! Anyway they had the Evil Animals box which I grabbed to get Day of the Animals for about the cost of ordering it solo.
    I had Grizzly already from ordering it when it first came out, and was kinda surprised an identical 2 disc SE was in the box. Soon to be part of a new trade list coming to a trade forum near you.
    Anyway, yeah the MB boxsets are a great deal. Get if you can (you can always order online).

13. Agent Z

Hmmm, so they had the 2 discs from the Grizzly SE packaged in with the Evil Animals Triple Feature?! :confused:

If so, was that just a fluke on that one set you picked up? The set is listed as having only three discs at Amazon. Weird!

Am I just misreading this altogether? :confused:

14. DrHerbertWest

My Evil Animals set also had the 2-disc Grizzly. As stated before, all of the DVDs packaged together in the sets are the same as the identical releases. I've never had an issue where a DVD in the set is different than the standalone and I've had a couple of double-up titles.

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

the shriek show sets are always worth the money, even if a movie or two stinks. These sets are usually the same price as a single release. I've bought many titles this way.

My favorite brentwood sets are "Horror Rises from the Grave', "Blood bath" and "Roots of Evil." However, I haven't bought a Brentwood pack in a long time, ever since they started packing those horrible Sub Rosa films.

Another favorite of mine is a 50 pack of SCI-FI movies from Mill Creek. Quality is vhs, if not lower, but for $20, there was enough good stuff to warrant the purchase.

However, stay AWAY from that Grindhouse Experience set by VideoAsia. I'm still pissed about spending $20 on that.

16. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Not horror, But the Abbott and Costello movie packs. Outstanding.

17. Agent Z

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess it just seems like too good a deal: it's in my nature to always look for the "catch", you know? :p

I'll quit fighting it and start WishListing. :D

18. DrHerbertWest

Link? I'd like to see what I'm avoiding! :D

19. My personal favorites purchased over the last 2-3 years:

Camp Classics:
    [​IMG]

Walking Dead (now discontinued I hear):
    [​IMG]

Devil Made Me Do it (also discontinued):
    [​IMG]

Man's Worst Friend (ditto):
    [​IMG]

Don't regret these purchases for a second...especially paying less than $20 for 6 (usually) quality DVDs.

The Shriek Show 3-packs are great & highly recommended too...namely:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I have this set. It's pretty awesome! And only $6! It's got some great flicks such as Pieces, Memorial Valley Massacre, It Happened At Night Inn, Silent Night Bloody Night, Night of Bloody Horror, and Horror Rises from the Tomb.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6947930

And the above post has some awesome sets (although not necessarily 'budget' sets, they are still pretty f'in cheap). I have the Camp Classics and Walking Dead sets, and both the Zombie ones.