Best Comic Book Adaption

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Criswell, Dec 11, 2004.

1. BloodyBabe

BloodyBabe Guest

Dark Shadows and the Crow.

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Taking this in another direction...

I'd kind of want to see a Valiant comic adaptation of some sort. Before Acclaim took over and ruined series like Shadowman, etc. I just had a brief alcoholic hallucination of Owen Wilson in Archer & Armstrong...

:eek2:

Seriously, though. With the whole Magnus and Solar back from the Gold Key days, I could see those thrown out there.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My favs are The Crow, Blade (1 and 2), X-Men (didn't like X2 as much) and animated Spawn (that was dead-on and what the movie should've been). Loved Spider-Man in the theater, but now it gets cornier every viewing. I just got SM2 and watched that the first time last week. Really enjoyed it, although it just drug along in many parts. The action/fights in that topped the first film by a mile.
    I can't wait to see my all-time fav. comic, Preacher hit the bog screen (as long as it's at least rated R, that should be un-rated and the vilest shit ever if done truely right :D ). If done right it should also be a trilogy ala The Prophecy and if that means only dvds and not theaters, that's fine with me if it stays true. The problem I see is that they will try to leave an opening for a sequel, but the story HAS an ending. To cram the whole thing into one movie won't work properly.

A special shot to Brain Yuzna's Faust. Doesn't quite get favorite status, but damn that is a fun movie to watch over and over.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That would be cool too, but I'd bet on it never happening. Did anyone watch the Shadowman (or was that the knock-off "Nightman") tv series? I couldn't bring myself too as I loved the old Valiant Universe and had to bail with good memories when Acclaim took over and destroyed everything.
    I remain surprised that a Turok movie wasn't made in the mid-90's when dinosaurs were all the rage. Not sure how well Magnus or Solar would hold up these days, but I'd check out either or both if they happened.
    I still wanna check out that animated Lady Death Movie too, but Chaos went to absolute shit around the time they started doing wrestling comics. All characters suffered and loyal fans like me had to quit reading old favs like LD and Evil Ernie. The first few Evil Ernie mini's would make fine films as well if they were un-rated gorefests. :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I agree. Some of the adaptations since have been good, some have been terrible, but I think Superman: The Movie is still the standard by which all others will be measured. The first X-Men and Spider-Man films came close, but I don't think we'll be talking much about those over a quarter of a century later the way we do Superman. The first couple of Batman films were pretty close too, but the later sequels have hurt it. I think even the first two films went a little far afield as far as faithfulness to the comics. SUPERMAN is simply the best, most faithful comic book adaptation.

I thought the Spiderman films had potential, but really didn't like the second film, which came a little too close to Superman 2 in its plot, and went way beyond the spirit of the comic book character. I gotta say, though, that Alfred Molina as Doc Ock probably turned in one of the best supervillain performances since Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Seems like they've already milked the most popular characters now. A lot of the ones they're doing are more obscure characters that the general viewing public don't even know are comic book adaptations. Personally, I didn't know BLADE was a comic book adaptation until years later.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I Think The New Batman Begins Movie Will Be Good