Best Hammer

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Bleck, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Bleck

Bleck Guest

Greetings and Happy Holidays...

I am looking into starting to compiling a collection of Hammer DVD's to add to my horror collection. I was wondering what you all would say would be the best Hammer films on DVD. I have "The Devil Rides Out",which I love, but want to get some more. Any suggestions?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Probably my favorite is "Dracula Has Risen from the Grave", but "Horror of Dracula", "Frankenstein", and "The Mummy" are great too. Man, they're ALL great :)

I really enjoy "Dr. Jeckyl and Sister Hyde", and watch it often. I'd also hate to be without the Qautermass films and "X The Unknown".

I don't know, even bad Hammer, to me, is worthy. The vibe of them is marvellous. In the US I have seen a 6 disc Warner box which - if you don't have any of the films - would be too good to pass up, imo.

3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I freaking love every Hammer I've seen. I've only turned onto Hammer Films in the past two years. I'd recommend The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, and The Mummy as starters. All three star Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and are directed by Terence Fisher. The six-disc Hammer Horror Collection dwatts mentioned would also be a great starting point.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter is a classic.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Captain Kronos is a must. I'm entertained as all hell from it.

Also check out Horror of Dracula (essential), The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin: The Mad Monk, and To the Devil, A Daughter.

The greatest Hammer film, at least in my opinion, is Quatermass and the Pit. What a mood!

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Curse of Frankenstein is my favorite. Peter Cushing kicks ass!

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Horror Of Dracula.

8. All of the Hammer Frankenstein's are personal favorites. You may also want to check out The Complete Hammer House of Horror. Its Hammer's short lived TV show from 1980. I like those a lot (well, most of them anyway).

9. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Two great choices that haven't been mentioned are PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES and the teriffic odd-ball and utterly unique THE LOST CONTINENT.

10. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The Curse of Frankenstein
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness
    Plague of the Zombies
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed!
    Rasputin, The Mad Monk
    The Devil Rides Out

11. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

My Faves are the Peter Cushing Frankenstein ones. Especially "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed"

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'd say that The Devil Rides Out is the best, but since you have that, Quatermass and the Pit.

13. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

So good to see so much love for Rasputin! :banana:

Bleck, there are so many great Hammers, it's hard to choose. I agree that the Warner 6 disc set (pictured above) is a great starting point. See if you can't get it cheap (try www.dvdpricesearch.com). One just cannot have too much Lee/Cushing in their collection.

As for personal favorites, I'll just list a few that come readily to mind (In no real particular order)...
    Horror of Dracula
    Dracula Prince of Darkness
    Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
    The Curse of Frankenstein
    Frankenstein Created Woman
    Captain Kronos
    The Vampire Lovers
    Plague of the Zombies
    Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde
    The Witches
    The Reptile
    One Million Years BC
    Prehistoric Women - I know it's hoakie... but I love it!
    The Abominable Snowman (olllld school Hammer)
    X the Unknown

and of course, the aforementioned Rasputin... the Maddddddd Monk!!

Of course, The Devil Rides out is a classic, but as you said, you've already got that. Another favorite of mine that isn't out in R1 yet is Twins of Evil. To me, an absolute must have for any Hammer fan. Cushing's performance is sublime, and the Collinson twins are most alluring. If you're region free, you would do well to seek out the import.

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

HORROR OF DRACULA and CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN are must owns .You need to get QUATERMAS AND THE PIT as well.Of the sequels,FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED and DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE are terrific.CAPTAIN KRONOS-VAMPIRE HUNTER is an underrated gem.Honestly,just about all of their gothics are well worth a look and they made some nice thrillers (TASTE OF FEAR)and sci-fi too.THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN is a fine ,cereberal one.Happy viewing !

15. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

'Horror Of Frankenstein' is one of my favourites. Sure it doesn't have Cushing, and the monster's not particularly...monstery, but Ralph Bates's Frankenstein cracks me up.

16. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (aka The Seven Brothers Meet Dracula) is a strange title that is often forgotten. Very weird but fun movie that's a Hammer/Shaw Brothers co-production. The mix of kung fu and horror is an absolute blast. And fear not, Peter Cushing is there to hold it all together and bring it on home. Check it out, it's currently available as a Hammer Films double feature with Frankenstein Created Woman.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The rumor I have heard is the the newish R2 version of "Legend" is superior to the R1. I should do more research to find out, if true, I'd rebuy again.

And God, I really can't get through "The Lost Continent". The first half is actually very very cool, but the second half sucks the life out of it. Still, each to their own :)

18. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Maybe you can answer this for me, is the current R1 Golden Vampires disc anamorphic? It doesn't list it as such on the case but does specify that Frankenstein Created Woman is. I can't tell as I have a 4:3 TV.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actually don't think it is. However, the new R2 disc of the film does not have the cool extras, so anyway, you'd need both discs (yes, the R1 extras really ARE worth it for the price).

I never thought the R1 disc looked very good, to be perfectly honest.

20. The R1 disc isn't; the R2 disc is. And you can tell if you have a 4:3 TV. Just switch your DVD player's settings to 16:9 and see if the picture comes out stretched.