Best Horror Director

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by vampyr789, Jul 29, 2008.

?

Best Horror Director

1. Wes Craven

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Dario Argento

17 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Tobe Hooper

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Lucio Fulci

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Mario Bava

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. John Carpenter

34 vote(s)
    39.1%
  7. George A. Romero

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Alfred Hitchcock

6 vote(s)
    6.9%
  9. Sam Raimi

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. David Cronenberg

18 vote(s)
    20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

well, since my "Best Slashers of th 1980s" poll is going well, i'll make another poll.

which director do u like best?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You might want to put a choice for "Other" on future polls.

3. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

sorry about that.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Hitchcock was the best director overall but most of his work fit more neatly into the ''thriller" genre.All of the others are true talents,but Cronenberg (who is brilliant) and Raimi have moved away from the genre in recent years and Carpenter hasn't been very productive in a long time.The late Bava and Fulci were both underrated in their lifetimes and deserve their cult status today.Craven has made some big contributions but is erratic,Hooper even more so.Romero directed some of my favorites in the genre but has tended to repeat himself in recent years.That leaves me with Argento.Though he is eccentric to say the least and can certainly miss the mark,he has a unique vision and is a true visionary.He can make a bad film,but at least it is distictively his own.At his best he has a style that's hard to beat.Dario gets my vote .

5. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Out of those listed, I went with David Cronenberg. His stuff tends to be the most impressive overall.

If there was an "Other" option, I would've went with Ridley Scott. I know he's not technically a "horror" director, but I think he's the greatest working today and I don't think any horror flick can come close to how mindblowing Alien was in its day.

6. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I went with Cronenberg. He has made some stuff that is truly cringe worthy. I wish he still made horror movies. Carpenter and Argento are close to the top as well. This is a tough poll. All of these directors have had their ups and downs.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Argento. All the way. I guess Cronenberg is an early favorite. But most of his horror films are incredibly flawed. The Fly, Videodrome, and Rabid are clearly his most outstanding work. They Came from Within / Shivers is an original take on the kind of thing Romero was doing with The Crazies and Night of the Living Dead. But it is not as well written and directed as Romero's films, plus Cronenberg sort of did it over with Rabid and Rabid was a much better version of that idea. Not to mention the style and production values improved with that film. Naked Lunch, Scanners, and Dead Ringers are not horror films at all. The Brood is bizarre but I don't see it as a well-made film. And technically, I guess The Dead Zone is a thriller, not a horror film.

Argento's films are just amazing. Through and through, I just don't believe any one man could have directed so many masterpieces. He's the only director who's dipped in the horror genre as many times from the late '60s to today who has a track record of more than 3 outright masterpieces. Argento is a God of horror. Plain and simple.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

There always something interesting in even a bad Argento film. At his best he can have moments of genius and is a true artist.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Erm - disagree... disagree, and disagree.

Cronenberg.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I voted Carpenter, although NONE of those guys have really put out anything of note horrorwise for more than a decade. Only Hitchcock and Bava have a real excuse as to why they haven't. I like Raimi, but with The Evil Dead being his only horror film (and by extension ED2) I'm really hard pressed to consider him a "horror director".

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I voted for John Carpenter. Worthy runner-ups would be Mario Bava, Dario Argento, George Romero, and Terence Fisher (who wasn't even listed).

With your polls, you should include the option to see who voted for what. More fun that way.

12. AndresG

AndresG Member

Voted for the master Fulci, love Carpenter and Argento though...

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    As far as overall horror films, I will definitely have to go with Argento!

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

See, that's just exactly the way I feel about Argento. Hitchcock should be taken off the list, seeing as how he really only made 2 "true" horror films. (Psycho's more of a thriller to me, if you want to get picky.) Fulci's films are quite often horrendously flawed to a degree sometimes that is almost unimaginable. Craven I think has only made 2 or 3 "great" horror films. Carpenter by the looks of it has lost whatever he once had. Either that or he set the bar WAY too high for himself when he made Halloween. Raimi doesn't really make horror films anymore. Again, the only really "true" horror film he made was The Evil Dead. The sequels were more horror/comedy.

Personally I went for Cronenberg. His films are utterly brilliant. The masterpieces he has put out: (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Videodrome (probably his best), Scanners, Dead Ringers, The Dead Zone, The Fly...) Cronenberg all the way. The ONLY director on there (besides Hitchcock who IMO doesn't count) to have CONSISTENTLY good horror films in my opinion.

~Matt

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

We all seem to accept that Fulci's movies are flawed, but sometimes i wonder if we're a bit harsh. Are they really more flawed than Argento's? Some of the acting in Argento's films is pretty poor (the likes of Opera really suffer, imo), and his FX don't always work. He's also made some very flat movies (Trauma, Third Mother). Argento has had some great soundtracks, but so has Fulci.

Yes, some of Fulci's FX has been poor - such as the Spider scene in The Beyond - but it's only flawed from a "realistic" standpoint. Yet the fantastic over-the-top nature of the scene is wonderful, imo. It's fake - it looks fake - but then, I always know Argento's stuff is faked too.

I don't really like comparing the two, but I get the feeling (I could be wrong) that we're inclined to always criticize Fulci while we always cut Argento some slack. Perhaps it's because Argento has lost his sense of humor over the years....

Sorry, mumbling to myself. :D

Oh, and having a list of Cronenberg films without Crash is crass. :lol:

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I went with George A. Romero.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I agree with Satan's-Sadists,Terrence Fisher deserves to be on the list,the man jump started the horror genre in the 50's.Freddie Francis would be a worthy addition as well.

Dwatts,I see what you're saying about Fulci.I think the fact that his last years were spent making very thinly produced films (not his fault) tends to drag him down with fans at times.Personally I always felt that he was (like many of his contemporaries) a talented jack of all trades director,he worked (often quite well) in many genres (crime films,adventures,westerns,comedies etc.).Argento wrote for other genres but as a director all of his features have been in either the giallo or supernatural horror realms except for THE FIVE DAYS .It's possible his almost total devotion to the genre also helps give him an edge.
    Still,at his best Fulci could perform wonders.

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Cronenberg of the ones listed. Fulci and Argento are rapidly moving up in my ratings though.

Even though he didn't make too many horror flicks, I think Bob Clark needs to be on the list. The ones he did make are some of my favourite horror flicks of all time.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Oh yeah? Well - I disagree with all of your disagrees! Top that. :p

Well...you may be onto something. Argento has made a lot of horror films. But he's also made the most masterpieces. Though I have to admit I've only seen 1 Bava film, Argento picked up where Bava left off and ruled the world of international horror-thriller. And still delivered more epic, amazingly detailed horror films than any other director of his era. Outside or inside Italy.

But let's face facts, any director with a career spanning longer than 20 years lost their master's touch in horror at some point. With the possible exception of Wes Craven or Stuart Gordon (whose films are exactly as flawed or outstanding as they ever were).

20. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked Bava. It was a difficult decision (well, not along the lines of Sophie's Choice, but...) but I picked him because he was such an influence all Italian horror directors that followed in his wake.