Best horror DVD ever

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by AceRimRat, Oct 20, 2001.

?

Best Horror DVD Ever!

1. Alien 25th Anniversary SE (Fox)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Army of Darkness Limited Edition 2-disc (AB)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. The Beyond Limited Edition tin (AB)

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. The Blair Witch Project SE (Artisan)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Evil Dead Special Collector's Edition (Elite)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Halloween Limited Edition 2-disc set (AB)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Hellraiser Limited Edition tin (w/HR2) (AB)

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jaws 25th Anniversary CE (Universal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Maniac Limited Edition (AB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Night of the Living Dead (Elite)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. Re-Animator (Elite)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Se7en 2-disc special edition (Fox)

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  13. Silence of the Lambs (Criterion)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Silence of the Lambs (MGM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Suspiria Limited Edition 3-disc set (AB)

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  16. The Thing Collector's Edition (Universal)

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  17. Wicker Man LE wood box (AB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. A Universal Classic Monsters DVD

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  19. A Hammer DVD

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  20. Other

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

OK, here's the deal. I want to run a poll on Best Horror DVD Ever.

Hey, that's what this site's all about, right, horror DVDs? (And Cruel Intentions 2, I know...)

I'm going to do my best to come up with a list of the major league discs released over the past several years and you guys go nuts and vote.

I might do a follow-up if I've really flailed (like if everybody votes "Other").

A couple of caveats:

First, I'm a Region 1/NTSC person, so I really only know R1/NTSC discs - sorry to those in Europe if you've got a killer disc I don't know about.

Second, I don't know much about Hammer, so I put in a generic category for Hammer. Same for Universal's Classic Monsters, which I don't know well enough to pick one.

OK, remember, I'm going for Best DVD here, so you set your own criteria, but I'm taking into account pic/sound, features and the quality of the film itself (i.e. Halloween good movie, Jack Frost not so good movie). The list is by no means all-inclusive and outside of the Hammer/UCM bit hopefully doesn't reflect my own prejudices. Seems like AB has a lot on there, I know.

I'm gonna get flamed, but here goes...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2001
  2. MovieFan

MovieFan Guest

I put my vote towards Suspiria.

The DVD is amazing. What more could you ask for? You get a beautiful 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen image that makes the film look only a few years old and not 25 years old, great Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks, a fifty minute documentary, a full length CD soundtrack, trailers, television spots, radio spots, music videos, a photo gallery, production notes, cast and crew biographies, a text interview with Jessica Harper, and lobby cards. Also, all the extras are in anamorphic widescreen to boot! I paid $25 for the DVD and I couldn't ask for more.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah, what MF said.

4. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

The Beyond Tin

Runner Up
    Deep Red

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

My vote goes for The Thing. The commentary and documentary alone make this DVD one hell of a release. This is the only film where I have listened to a commentary more than once in its entirety. At 60 minutes (I think), the documentary looks at all the aspects of production that any fan would want to know about, and having most of the cast and crew available for comment really add a lot of depth to it all. Morricone's score is beautiful, and the iscolated score is just as good as having the soundtrack CD. The outtakes are a good viewing, and the wealth of storyboards and production photographs are a bonus. The only knock on this film is that it isn't anamorphic...but since I don't have a HDTV, I could care less :)

Good poll Ace!

6. RAYMOND BUSH

RAYMOND BUSH Guest

EVIL DEAD 2 LIMITED EDITION TIN!

7. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

The Beyond tin just straight up rocks!

8. keith70

keith70 Guest

I voted for Suspiria. The movie looks incredible. The sound may be altered, but it sounds awesome as well. Plus all of the extras, documentary and sountrack. The soundtrack could have used a track listing though.

The Army of Darkness Limited edition is a close second. I like having both versions of the film in one package.

I also like the From Dusk Till Dawn Collector's Series, but didn't see it listed. I love the commentary and deleted scenes, plus you also get the Full Tilt Boogie feature length documentary.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Fulcis Classic

The Beyond all the way, baby! the tin is just awesome, the extras are plentyful (love that audio commentary), and the film itself kicks ass!

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I have the Standard Keepcase of the Beyond. I can get the tin for like $25, is it worth getting? What's different? Is the booklet any good?

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

the booklet (48 pages) for The Beyond is just great. you get all the info you ever wanted about Lucio Fulci, a lots of pictures and behind the scenes anecdotes. also included are 6 international poster replicas...

...i dont know anything about the extra stuff on the standard dvd, but as you may know the tin-disc is loaded. if you liked the movie, go ahead and get. its worth it.

12. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I voted for elite's NOTLD. This disc introduced me to DVD and I never looked back. The transfer's excellent and the supplements compliment the film. Grainy Media VHS be damned!

13. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I finally voted...

...for The Thing. It was one of my early DVD buys and really opened up the possibilities of DVD to me. Kind of like the Hackmaster's post with NOTLD.

Rhett pretty much covered the details of the disc, and I couldn't agree more.

I wish all of Universal's CE discs lived up to the Sharpline Arts, etc., standard of The Thing, Tremors, the Last Starfighter, etc. as far as documentaries and other stuff.

14. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

The Evil Dead 2 tin set just kicked major booty. Who could ask for a better package???

15. Too many good choices! How can one choose?!?!.....but I did anyway...and I voted New Line's very complete release of Se7en....and I have my reasons:

- Wonderful & knowledgable commentaries.
    - Outrageous DD & DTS soundtracks.
    - Fantastic.....almost flawless picture & color transfer.
    - Picture & audio comparisons of this release AND the old DVD release (makes me happy I waited & bought this one)
    - Literally hours of extras that took me the course of several days to go through (got my money's worth :) )!
    - And just a hands-down great film by dark director David Fincher!

a close second:
    Army Of Darkness: LE

- 2 versions of one of my favorite films, including the then "never-before-seen" dierctor's cut! I was literally "dying" to see this cut!

16. Demon Tech

Demon Tech Guest

I had to say Suspiria because of the 3 discs. The only thing that would have made Suspiria better was put everything into a tin. Runner up: Halloween 2 discs
    Demons DVD

Get your DVDS Here
    www.angelfire.com/ab6/DemonTech

17. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

I voted for SE7EN.

But was SOOOOOOO close to voting THE THING

T'was a VERY hard choice.

18. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Suspiria,

But the wickerman wooden DVD looks nice. VERY Original

19. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

I hated the whole tin thing but I have to give it up to THE BEYOND...I love the film and anchor bay cleaned it up very nice....what more could a fulci fan ask for

20. etale

etale Guest

It's one of my favorites in my collection.
    Why TOTAL MOVIE/INSIDE DVD decided to use it as a feature for their first combined issue is a mystery to me. The Elite edition is unsuppassed and, who knows? That publication mught still be around if they had chosen something less available.