Best horror DVD purchase to date is?????

Discussion in 'General' started by KillerCannabis, Nov 19, 2000.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

What would everyone have to say is the best horror DVD that they have bought since aquiring their player? I'd have to say mine is either Evil Dead II(Limited Edition tin) or Hellraiser (Limited Edition tin). Anchor Bay sure knows how to please me. Can't wait for that Re-Animator tin next year. Whats everyone else's favorite???

2. suspiria

suspiria Guest

That would have to be the Hellraiser tin since it also happens to be my favourite horror movie. I also love the Phantasm DVD recently put out.

Can't wait for AB's re-release of Dawn and Day of the Dead. These movies deserve special treatment ASAP!

------------------
    My DVD List

3. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

For me, it's Universal's collector's edition of John Carpenter's The Thing. It's my favorite Carpenter film and the disc is loaded with great extras.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Guest

Night of the Living Dead by Elite.

5. SantaSangre

SantaSangre Guest

Deep Red - It's the best transfer I have ever seen.
    Carey

6. Jasondog

Jasondog Guest

Halloween (LE)

7. ilsa

ilsa Guest

It's a toss between The Beyond tin
    and Dragons Street Trash. The Beyond
    boasts a ton of extras, a great
    transfer and the damn tin is one
    of the most beautiful in my collection.

Street Trash has a so-so transfer
    but the film is just so sleazy and
    brain damaged thats it's nice to
    know that i can toss it in the dvd
    player as a antidote after watching
    poo like The Perfect Storm and Gossip
    with friends.

8. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

Speaking of Street Trash, Synapse is going to be putting out a special edition DVD of it in 2nd quarter 2001. It'll have a new anamorphic transfer of the original uncut version. The extras will include a commentary by writer-producer Roy Frumkes (maker of Document of the Dead) and actor James Lorinz (who was also in Frankenhooker). I'm sure it will be fun listening to those guys talk! Director Jim Muro's original 10-minute short student film will also be included as a supplement. More details on this are still to come. Don May says this is officially being announced in 2001. I can't wait to see the penis flying through the air in anamorphic widescreen!

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 11-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 11-23-2000).]

9. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Great picks, guys! I'll have to go with Blood Feast, Maniac, and Criterion's Blood For Dracula. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

------------------
    "Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

10. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Tough call - either The Beyond Tin or Let Sleeping Corpses Lie Tin

11. martinb

martinb Guest

Evil Dead Special Edition by Elite.
    My favourite horror film and a great dvd.

12. ragheb

ragheb Guest

Army of Darkness (LE)

13. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Halloween: Limited Edition

------------------
    "It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

14. Styx

Styx Guest

I've purchased so many DVDs it's hard to distinguish one purchase from the next but there are three instances that stand out in my mind:

1. When I first got my DVD player I went to Suncoast shortly after and picked up Elite's Night of the Living Dead SE, Pioneer's Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE and Anchor Bay's Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead all in one night. Needless to say I went home with a strange glow [​IMG]

2. After an agonizing wait and multiple delays I remember coming home one day to find Elite's Evil Dead SE waiting for me. It was really one of the most anticipated DVD releases for me and most importantly it lived up to the hype.

3. The last was when I found Re-Animator after it had gone out of print and was impossible to find. I entered a curious looking store, which sold LPs CDs, and in the rear they also had a selection of DVDs. I bought the disc for $23.99 as it was just beginning to sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay.

------------------
    Styx
    www.horrordvds.com
    "We can't stop here. This is bat country."
    -Raoul Duke Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

15. ragheb

ragheb Guest

I've got that beat - I got my copy when I walked into Borders Books & Music. The store had just expanded their DVD section and I saw the disc on the shelf for $25. I couldn't believe it. I grabbed the thing and held it close, wondering if I hallucinating, before I ran to the checkout and paid for it.

Tne reason why I was so shocked though, is because this didn't happen back when the disc first went oop - it happened last Tuesday. [​IMG]

16. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

The Pioneer Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My favorite movie done well. For some reason most of my favs get the short end of the stick when it comes to DVD presentation (Reservoir Dogs, for example).

------------------
    Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I love the TCM dvd also but I will have to go with Deep Red I guess as the best. I would have picked the beyond tin with it's crystal clear picture but I think they overbrightened the transfer or something...

18. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I'm going with a double-bill: Universal's CEs of "The Thing" and "Tremors."

They're not my favorite discs, though I love them both. They're not the best discs I own, though they're both terrific.

I'm picking them as my "best" purchase because they're the discs I got when I first got my player that really showed me all the great things DVDs could do - audio commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, isolated score, Easter eggs, etc. I was hooked!

Of course, given the amount I spend on DVDs, maybe it was the "worst" purchase! [​IMG]

19. nimereht

nimereht Guest

DEEP RED!

20. Vick07Hokie

Vick07Hokie Guest

Nightmare on Elm Street Boxed Set!!!!!