Best Horror film of the 70's

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Mar 22, 2005.

?

best of the 70's

1. Alien (1979)

6.6%
  2. Jaws (1975)

7.3%
  3. The Exorcist (1973)

9.5%
  4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

21.9%
  5. Halloween (1978)

20.4%
  6. The Amityville Horror (1979)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Deep Red (1975)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carrie (1976)

2.2%
  9. Suspiria (1977)

2.9%
  10. The Omen (1976)

0.7%
  11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

11.7%
  12. Martin (1977)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Black Christmas (1974)

8.0%
  14. Phantasm (1979)

4.4%
  15. Zombi 2 (1979)

2.9%
  16. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. The Last House on the Left (1972)

1.5%
  18. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (Specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I love DAWN, but I think it's one of those movies that I've seen so many times at this point that it doesn't frighten me anymore, and I see it more as the action/adventure film that Romero intended it to be.

My list for the 70s:
    1-THE EXORCIST
    2-TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
    3-DAWN OF THE DEAD

Just about everything else is tied for 4th. And like the 80s list, even a lot of these films that I'm not crazy about are important in horror history.

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

i picked jaws. it is pretty much my favorite movie. i dont consider it too much of a horror film but it is one of the few that every time it is on tv, which is about every other day on TBS, i cant stop watching it and end up sitting there for 2 hours.

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

You could make a case for just about any film mentioned here.

However, I'm going with Jaws, since it is the only film that I've seen to actually make me have irrational fears (about deep, unknown waters, of course) to this very day.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I am soooooo fucking torn!

5. allmessedup

I was wondering if anyone would pick JAWS. It's never really had an effect on me, probably because I grew up in a landlocked state and the idea of sharks just seemed too remote to really get to me.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

What about:

[​IMG]

Seriously, an amazing decade. The 80's were fantastic too, but most of the great films from that decade were in the earlier couple years. So basically, the best era of horror can be bookended by Romero's zombie trilogy. Great horror started in '68 with NOTLD and then died out in '85 with DAYOTD. In a way, that period seems to have come about as a direct influence of the fall of the production code and the rise of unrated movies. When the harsh rating system fell to allow unrated movies in '67, it is as if the resulting 18 years was a buildup of artistic freedom, pushing horror to boundaries never imagined. After about 1985, when Baker, Bottin, Savini and Smith were in their make-up prime, the boundaries of visual horror had pretty much been spent. It was a great run for those 18 years though, and while horror is making a comeback in the minds of audiences today, it still has a far, FAR way to go before coming close to the stuff from the '70s. Maybe, since Romero's NOTLD basically kicked off modern horror, LAND OF THE DEAD will usher forth a new wave in horror filmmaking. One can hope at least.

Given my avatar and signature, it is probably surprise to few that I picked my favorite horror film, HALLOWEEN, as my number one. It is such a complete and engulfing experience: I turn it on, and just get totally taken away with the atmosphere. That roaming panaglide camera, those moody blues, and that pulsing soundtrack...it never fails. It is so simple on the surface that the film is immediately watchable, but there is a lot of dark undercurrents that come out with every viewing, making it immediately rewatchable as well. I love every minute.

That said, CARRIE, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, BLACK CHRISTMAS, DAWN OF THE DEAD and TCM are all five star films in my book, with THE EXORCIST, SUSPIRIA, THE HILLS HAVE EYES and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST not far behind. There are many others not listed that I adore as well, like SHOCK WAVES, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, THE BROOD and DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING. I <3 70s.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

:eek2:

The only thing scarier than watching that alone with the sound cranked is this sequel which was banned in 89 countries :nervous:

[​IMG]

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

a lot easier for me than the 80s.. Dawn of the Dead.

though i would like to give an honourable mention to Suspiria, Black Christmas, Halloween and LHOTL/Cannibal holocaust (those last 2 purely based on the effect they had on me when i first watched them)

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Black Christmas for me. One of the few films to creep the hell out of me, it hasn't lost one ounce of its impact over the years. It has the most frightening psychopath ever committed to celluloid. His phone calls are some of the most unnerving sequences in film. Hell, whenever the killer is seen or heard at all, its damn unnerving. An appropriately bleak atmosphere enhanced by the foreboding piano score only serves to make the film all the more intense. A definite masterpiece, and possibly my favorite horror film.

There are so many other amazing films from this decade. The Sentinel, TCM, The Hills Have Eyes, Martin, The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, The Tenant, Cannibal Holocaust, The House with Laughing Windows, Suspiria, The Devils, Sisters, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Lisa and the Devil, and on and on. I concur with the consensus, this is the best decade for horror.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Guest

Absolutely the best decade for horror. My number one being The Exorcist.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

There's so much from the 70's to choose, it's tough. But Dawn gets it. Last House on the Left and Dead End Dt. would be there, Wizard of Gore...

12. "Dawn of the Dead" ... 'nuff fucking said!

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

After 75 Votes .....

1.Dawn of the Dead.....................22
    2.The Exorcist............................13
    3.The Texas Chain Saw Massacre...8
    3.Halloween................................8
    5.Alien.......................................4
    5.Black Christmas ........................4
    7.Carrie......................................3
    7.Jaws.......................................3
    7.Phantasm.................................3
    7.The Last House on the Left..........3

14. zombee

zombee Guest

I went with Dawn of the Dead.

15. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

As awesome as the 70's were for horror, it's easy for me to pick The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, since for my money, it's the best horror film ever made.

Also worth mentioning: Suspiria, Alien, Halloween, Martin, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, The Wicker Man, Lisa and the Devil, Deathdream, Don't Look Now, Frenzy, Deep Red, Don't Torture a Duckling, Who Can Kill a Child?, Black Christmas, The Brood, The Exorcist, Jaws, Alice Sweet Alice, Lemora: A Childs Tale of the Supernatural, Rabid, The Shout, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Vampyros Lesbos, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and Deranged. Indeed, an awesome decade for horror.

And yeah, I know I left out Dawn...because I don't like it. Sue me ;)

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My favorite decade for horror. So many worthy films on this list, but Dawn of the Dead is the one I revisit the most.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Too many choices, but I vote for Dawn Of The Dead.

18. allmessedup

I would probably have voted for TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE if I could do it again. At least, that's how I'm feeling about it today.

19. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I voted for Alien but it's more sci-fi than horror. The Exorcist is my favourite horror movie from the '70s.

20. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Halloween is the best horror movie ever anyway