Best Horror film of the 70's

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Mar 22, 2005.

?

best of the 70's

1. Alien (1979)

6.6%
  2. Jaws (1975)

7.3%
  3. The Exorcist (1973)

9.5%
  4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

21.9%
  5. Halloween (1978)

20.4%
  6. The Amityville Horror (1979)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Deep Red (1975)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carrie (1976)

2.2%
  9. Suspiria (1977)

2.9%
  10. The Omen (1976)

0.7%
  11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

11.7%
  12. Martin (1977)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Black Christmas (1974)

8.0%
  14. Phantasm (1979)

4.4%
  15. Zombi 2 (1979)

2.9%
  16. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. The Last House on the Left (1972)

1.5%
  18. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (Specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

Any answer other than Texas Chain Saw Massacre is incorrect.

2. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Dawn Of The Dead

3. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

Outstanding horror decade!

1. The Exorcist
    2. Halloween
    3. Jaws
    4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    5. Suspiria

4. thank you for being the only person to properly separate the chain from the saw. texas chainsaw massacre is about some whiny maggot who didn't get hugged enough as a kid. chain saw is the one about a scary family and grime and grain.

sorry...i'm anal.
    guess where my vote goes???

5. my mistake...two people got it right..

6. make that three!
    i run a costume shop, and nearly recreated the dinner table scene on my mask distributors when they accidentally sent me chainsaw remake version masks instead of classic leatherface!! after many phonecalls and some small cursing, they furnished me with the proper product.
    i don't give a damn if the kids want the softer, gentler leatherface. they get uncle gunnar, or they get their polaroid taken!!!

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That's awesome! :glasses: Glad to hear you're keeping it old school style.

Hansen is the definitive Leatherface as far as I'm concerned. This new Leatherface isn't the least bit scary and looks like he belongs in a modern music video.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The single greatest decade for horror in my opinion.

Dawn of the Dead is the best written horror movie of the decade. Which is I'm sure why it got the most votes. But I feel the acting is just a little bit shaky for the dramatic quality of the characters. And I don't like the abundance of library music tracks.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the most realistic horror film of the decade and is one of the greatest horror films for that reason. But there doesn't seem to be much of a plot.

Then, I rewatched Halloween the other day on my new sound system (I don't know any of the details, wish I did tho) and it blew my mind out of the back of my head. The atmosphere and camerawork just puts it another stratosphere of horror. And the plot is great. The acting is only so-so. But this was the only of these 3 movies that feels like the acting quality is part and parcel of the film's classic style. Everything on this one seems to be 100% right for what the film is supposed to be.

So I voted for Halloween.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  9. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

Here's my fairly definitive top 5 from the '70s for those that give a damn. The last 2 are interchangeable with Nosferatu, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things and I Spit on Your Grave getting honorable mentions.

1) Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    2) Phantasm
    3) Last House on Dead End Street
    4) Exorcist
    5) Last House on the Left

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  10. doubtless, i spit on your grave deserves at the least a "special award" on its many brave merits. one of the greatest overstatements in cinema history, and i love every scoreless frame of it!
    of course, i'd also give a special honour to joel m. reed for "bloodsucking freaks"...but that clearly belongs in a comedy poll, not horror.
    *p.s. - excellent spelling!*

11. "Dawn of the Dead is the best written horror movie of the decade. Which is I'm sure why it got the most votes. But I feel the acting is just a little bit shaky for the dramatic quality of the characters. And I don't like the abundance of library music tracks."

i don't know that the library tracks necessarily take me out of the film so much. recently, i've been watching what can only be considered a punishing amount of MST3K, and in so many of those movies i hear selections from both night and dawn, and they always make me say "thats from NIGHT!", and they never play as memorably over the turgid monkey-flingings that are supposed to be movies as they do in george's hands.
    perhaps its just further testimony as to the editing genius of maestro romero. he even makes canned music memorable.

as to the acting, well...all i can say is i'm standing at jc pennys saying "WHOOOPEEEEE".

understand i'm not trying to flame, or be disagreeable. just suggesting a different view. hope i didn't ruffle anyones latex appliances...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  12. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Tough call between Black Christmas (1974) and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), but I went with....................

Black Christmas (1974)

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Wowza!! Tough call all the way, but I chose: PHANTASM. A supreme spookshow that is like a nightmare (with an intriguing sci-fi element). What an era! People laugh at the 70's for being cheezy (as if things aren't supposed to look their age?????) but there is nothing cheezy about the titles listed. Cheezy = NOW.

14. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

almost impossible to pick 1. I picked HALLOWEEN, but it's tied with THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and SUSPIRIA as my top 3.
    every other title on the list is 4-star essential viewing, so any pick is a good one.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Looking back on this list. If I had to do it again I would probably move The Amityville Horror to the "other" category and inserted The Wicker Man.

16. reddye5

reddye5 Member

The Exorcist - hands down.

17. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I somehow missed this 6-page thread. I went with Carrie. As much as I love some of the others I have a harder time getting through them as easily.

18. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Horror High(Twisted Brain)

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just came across this poll again doing a few searches. Wow just one mammoth classic after another, sorry just had to say it:)

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)