Best Horror Film - The Tournament

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by rhett, May 4, 2002.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Dawn of the Dead

this was an awesome tourney Rhett... hate to see it end ;_;

2. nlogax

nlogax Guest

DAWN OF THE DEAD (sad to see 'the thing' go)

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Well, this truely has been quite a journey you've sent us all on rhett. ;) Maybe down the line you'll consider another tournament matchup of horror's elite. :D

And so its with great pride that I choose Dawn Of The Dead as THE best horror film of this tourney. I'm out.....:cool:\nn/

4. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

Dawn of the Dead

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

Wow this is an odd way for things to finish up.

You see Halloween is really the best Horror movie and Dawn of the Dead is about the most well known gore movie but no where near Halloween as a horror movie.

Oh Fuck it I like Blood and Guts.

I am voting for

Dawn Of The Dead.

Max

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My final vote:

DAWN OF THE DEAD

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

Hey Rhett,
    I just noticed a problem with the format you used for this contest.

It really only tells us the Top 2 horror movies. in other words we will know who finished first and who finished 2nd but beyond that there are tons of ties, so if we were to want to take the data from this contest and maybe make a Top 25 list of Horror DVDs as voted on by Horror DVD forum members, it would be very hard to rank anything after two unless we had some runner up rounds.

Maybe you should take some of the data and have some run-off voting between winners and losers from the lower rounds and then we could complie a Top 25 list. Maybe Dave would put up a page with a link to the min page with the Top 25 list and then the rest of us could go out on the net and keep linking back to The Horror DVDs Top 25 Horror movies list. I would bet that many of the more mainstream DVD buyers would actually enjoy a Horror List made up by us Sickos that have sat through the good the bad and the ugly of Horror movies and use it has a guide.

Who knows might even get the site a little prestige.

So what I am saying is we need a run off vote between the two losing semi-finalists to see which was 3 and 4 and then down the line until we have a full 25.

OK I just refuse to accept that there is nothing more to vote on and that it is all over.:D

I don't want it to end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2002
  8. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

DAWN OF THE DEAD

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Good ideas Max, I had no intention of making a top horror film list, I just wanted to see which one would come out on top. But it would be cool to rank all the horror films. If more people want to do it this way, then I will go back to four matchups each set until we sort out the top films.

10. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Halloween (I've changed my mind over a dozen times but I'm sticking with Carpenter's classic....at the moment!)

This has to be the Thread of the Year, without question. Rhett, you've kept us hooked throughout the duration! You've done a brilliant job at keeping this poll going and keeping us entertained at the end of each round.

As Max has suggested, another poll to reach the ultimate 25 horror movies would be superb. An even more ambitious list would be the top 100! We could score each proposed movie out of 20 points (marks out of 10 wouldn't fine-tune scores) and list the films in order of points scored, or something like that...it's a mammoth exercise but would be fun.

I want to carry on voting! :p

11. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

My vote is for Dawn of the Dead.

I would also like a top 25 or 100 list. That would be very cool and it would give newbies a list to watch and would mean they would have more knowledge of the genre and give more intelligent discussion on the boards.

12. swamptours

swamptours Guest

Damn, this is a tough choice.

I will have to go with Halloween.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Damn this is horrible. HALLOWEEN was the first movie I absolutely loved, and what really got me hooked on horror. But DAWN is a better film, and it's one of those that you can watch over and over, and it feels so epic. Gotta go with DAWN.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, as of now, Halloween is getting creamed 11-2, but there is still some hope left for the little indie that could.

I have been thinking that since some great films like Alien and Re-Animator bit the dust in the first round, that it wouldn't be fair to hold a Top 25 Tournament without their inclusion. So I thought that perhaps we could do it where we include all the 128 films in this tournament in a new poll, but instead of facing them off, do what Connoisseur said and have them all rated out of 10 or 20. Each set would contain 10 films, which would make things go a little faster than this tournament has. Let me know what you guys think!

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Sounds good rhett, go for it. I'm up for some more fun. :D

16. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

Well if it means we can continue to show up here and vote every morning, then I am all for it. :)

Max

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Same here. :)

18. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

'Dawn of the Dead'

That idea of Connoisseur's sounds good to me Rhett.

19. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Cheers, guys!

What I like about the points system is that new titles can be added to the list without causing too many problems. This way, some popular but not widely viewed films may actually have the chance to appear in the Top 100 if some voters are passionate about them, for example, Schramm, Xtro, Bride of Frank, etc.

rhett, in this tournament, I liked the way that the titles changed colour once they'd been checked off the master list but would it be possible to use a different colour than the blue one for the Top 100 (or 25) - in my old age I find it difficult to see the titles from a distance!:eek:

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sure Con, I will change the color next one, it was just that I thought that with a dark blue it would give the impression the film was out, without having to look at the legend to tell. :)

So if we are including extra movies, then maybe each person who takes a part in the voting for the next tournament can nominate two films to add to the rating list. That seems like the fairest to me.