Best Horror Magazine

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Nov 19, 2003.

?

Best Horror Mag

1. Astounding B Monster, The

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alternative Cinema

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cinefantastique Magazine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dark Gallery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dark Side, The

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Dark Waters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Famous Monsters of Filmland

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Fangoria

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  9. Firelight Shocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Horror-Wood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Missing Link, The

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Shocking Images

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Monster! International

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Monsterscene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Rue Morgue

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  16. Screem Magazine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Shivers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Shock Cinema

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Shocking Images

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  20. Other (Specify)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Rue Morgue.

The funny thing is that that mag really has the right mix of what is really happening in modern horror, whether it is Mordum or High Tension (before they "hit") and great retrospective bits. Awesome.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Rue Morgue for sure! That is just a great magazine all around!

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I must be the only one on this forum that's never read Rue Morgue. :eek:

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Like most people here, I like Rue Morgue a lot! I think Fango has become a piece of crap and at $8 an issue, they have to be out of their minds! Not that Rue Morgue is better pricewise, but it is a higher quality and more diverse magazine!

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There needs to be a new poll. Nobody in their right mind would chose The Dark Side today what with the plagiarism scandal and all.

6. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

wait, do you all subscribe, or just buy the magazines in Bookstores?

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Video Watchdog. Not necessarily a "horror" magazine but they cover enough to appeal to fans. I've been a subscriber to Fangoria since issue 13 (back when Castle Fangor used to come with the subscription) and thought it was a better magazine up through the early to mid 90's.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I voted Shocking Images because it's the only horror magazine who's next issue I was ever really excited to get (unfortunately they went under and it never came...) even though they're long gone. I don't really care about the plagiarism scandal, I like Dark Side but haven't read it in years because I can't find it anywhere, it's probably up to like $11 an issue here anyway though. The only thing I don't like about that magazine is their web site which is extremely lame because it's extremely slow and, despite it being the year 2009, doesn't have it's own DNS as far as I can see... (http://www.ebony.co.uk/darkside/) Ultraviolent is pretty good too.

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I started buying random issues of Horrorhound in stores (the Grindhouse and Child's Play issues) and then subscribed after picking up the excellent Halloween issue. I then went back and ordered all of the back issues I didn't have. :D

Sometimes I also pick up a Fangoria or Rue Morgue if the stories interest me. The last time that happened for Fango was in 2005 and for Rue Morgue it was their Monster Squad issue.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I've always been interested in checking out some of these mags., but there are so many different ones, and they are pricey as hell here in To. Like $8 and up an issue. Is it a lot cheaper to subscribe?

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I subscribe to Rue-Morgue at it comes out to about $5 and change an issue. Plus you of course don't have to go pick it up.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Fangoria

Rue Morgue is pretty good. I had a subscription to them since their first issue. But I canceled years ago. I assume its better now. When they first came out, I found the magazines a little boring.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

That's not too bad, thanks!

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I used to get Fangoria at the stores when I saw it but the price was a little too steep ($11/issue). Recently I was looking at an issue and noticed it's down to $8...actually a little cheaper than Rue Morgue. Weird. Maybe it'll go up again once they realize the Canadian dollar is crap again. OK mag but too much coverage of the big dollar Hollywood movies.

Anyway my favourite is Rue Morgue. Right now I only buy random issues but once I get some cash together I'll be getting a subscription.

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Fangoria is still the King of the Hill for me. I always bought it locally until our local newstand got a bug up their ass and refused to carry it because some dumb bitch complained about the covers and how gory they were. Anyway, I subscribed since issue #104 and I am still a loyal subscriber today. I own every issue.

I also like Rue Morgue, but I can only find it at Barnes & Noble, about 30 miles away from my hometown. The cost to subscribe to Rue Morgue, if you live in the U.S., is significantly higher than Fangoria, or at least it was when I checked about 6 months ago. Rue Morgue is pretty good, but I still prefer Fangoria of the two.

16. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Fangoria here partly out of longtime loyalty (Picked up issue #6 as a kid and have gotten all of them since!), but Rue Morgue, Video Watchdog (although they seem to have at least one LONG article per issue about something or another that doesn't interest me in the slightest), and Horrorhound are all great as well. FM was the first mag that I ever picked up as a very young kid and I loved it then, but aside from nostalgia it really doesn't hold up. Not to speak ill of the dead (and the man was a major horror icon in his own way), but Forry's writing for that mag just wasn't very good.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Hang on to those puppies. Especially considering that Fangoria/Starlog warehouse burnt to the ground in 2007. Destroying every back issue. In other words, the only copies of older issues left are the ones owned by people like you and me.

"The blaze was set off when a forklift driver in the warehouse punctured a gas line close to a space heater, and required over 100 firefighters from 20 different departments to bring it under control. Hampering their efforts was the fact that the building’s sprinkler system has been turned off—which fire marshals are currently investigating. Total damages are estimated at $8 million; Fango thanks and salutes the firefighters and other responders who worked to put out the flames."

—Michael Gingold

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  18. cjg

cjg Active Member

Rue Morgue

Rue Morgue is by far the best horror mag but they fucked me inever recievd the last two issues they didnt answer my e-mails had to buy the last two issues at Borders thank God my subscription runs out next issue anybody else have this prblem ?

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You should write them again or even write about it on there message boards. I've never had a issue go missing and the one time it was late they sent me a second copy. They are usually pretty good with that.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  20. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

1. Video Watchdog
    2. Rue Morgue
    3. Fangoria

I don't buy Dark Side since I can read it for free by going to all the web sites they plagiarise their material from.