Best horror movies to watch drunk?

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Oct 21, 2012.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Next weekend is Homecoming for my school, at our after party for my group, we're drinking and everyone is asking me to bring some horror movies because it's basically Halloween weekend.

You all recommend any good horror movies that are really fun to watch when drunk?

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

1) One Eyed Monster
    2) Boardinghouse
    3) Return of the Living Dead
    4) Dead Snow
    5) House by the Cemetery
    That's what I think of off the top of my head.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Cannibal Holocaust
    Pet Sematary
    Orphan (2009)

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Scratch Boardinghouse off the list. SOV is an acquired taste even within the horror community. Also scratch off Dead Snow. Movie fans like us don't mind subtitles, but I doubt they'd go over well with a group of drunken high school students. One Eyed Monster really isn't that sleazy despite the premise, however you'd still probably get some strange looks for bringing that one. As for Cannibal Holocaust, that's one you'd probably want to ease them into. It's also maybe a little too serious and depressing for a party atmosphere. It's not a movie I'd ever show to someone who isn't a horror fan.

The other three are great choices though, especially Return Of The Living Dead. Orphan and Pet Sematary are great genre films, but given the party atmosphere I would be concerned about their attention span.

Assuming these are people who don't regularly watch horror films, I would go for something recent and somewhat accessible. Trick 'r Treat would be a perfect film. Maybe Cabin In The Woods, Tucker & Dale Vs Evil, Behind The Mask, Planet Terror, The Collector, Dance Of The Dead, etc. Maybe even early 2000s, like Cabin Fever, Jeepers Creepers, or Ginger Snaps.

If you do go back into the '80s, find something light and fun like The Midnight Hour, Night Of The Demons, Monster Squad, Night Of The Creeps, The Blob, Waxwork, Vamp, etc.

If you dare risk going far enough back to the '50s / '60s, maybe Spider Baby, Night Of The Living Dead, or the original The Blob? But those would probably be pushing it.

I can pretty much guarantee if you go in there with something like Bay Of Blood or The Beyond, it won't go over very well.

5. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Street Trash
    Bad Taste
    Friday the 13th Part 6
    Re-Animator
    Night of the Creeps
    Evil Dead 2

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'd say you want something that people don't need to pay attention to, but that has a lot of splash to it. The first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was Lifeforce. The plot is looney enough that it doesn't really matter if you follow it all, but it has enough nudity and dazzle that it's pretty much always entertaining. Reanimator, Planet Terror, and Return of the Living Dead all work well for this as well. Then, bring something that is truly scary, just in case people decide that they want something that they want to focus on.

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Troll 2
    Killer Clowns From Outer Space
    Plan 9 From Outer Space
    Chillerama
    Creepshow

8. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Try to build drinking games around the movies you watch. Something like a drink every time "Brains" is said in ROTLD or a shot every time Ash is thrown into a shelf in Evil Dead.

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Yeah, better scratch off One Eyed Monster because I'm sure you're very concerned about getting some 'strange looks' at a drunken Halloween bash. LOL.
    Also, Monster Squad is great fun...for twelve year olds. I'm sure your friends would love to watch The Goonies + monsters at a Halloween party, real cool.Follow that one up with the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
    Planet Terror, The Collector and Dance Of The Dead are great to watch drunk as they're so fucking tedious you'll probably want to slash your wrists any other way.

10. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

This + ROTLD + Pieces + Killer Workout.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Point being, it'd probably be a good idea to find something fairly accessible. If they're asking this guy to bring the horror films, then it's probably a safe bet to assume they are not big horror fans themselves and just looking for something for the holiday. If you slap House By The Cemetery in front of them, they're probably not going to know what to make of it.

One Eyed Monster might not be a bad choice if it's just the guys, but girls probably wouldn't respond well to a movie about a killer severed penis and juvenile semen humor. Being Homecoming, I guess I assumed the later.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

In my experience, best to keep it light and cheesy, horror movies with humor or at least some outlandish bits. From above, movies like Troll 2, Friday 6, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Cabin Fever and Night of the Demons would probably work the best.

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

And Toxic Avenger for the hell of it...

14. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I'll second Killer Workout. Boobs, legwarmers, giant safety pin, and random judo chops. Add in booze and you have a perfect storm.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    If you can find it, Terrorvision. Some great choices here. A lot of the Troma films work well.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The Hazing, not too deep, lots of fun and just fucked up enough. Try it if you haven't!

The Scream flicks aren't bad to drink to either, crowd favs everyone will probably know.

A couple other great no-budget but done well flicks that are fun for drinking:
    Backlot Murders and Bleed. Backlot is better, Bleed is more of an in-joke but my girl and I had a blast when tried that blind. It's stupid but funny in it's stupidity, drink everytime someone says "the murder club"!:D

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The key in a party situation is you need movies that you can watch without paying attention. Pieces, the first two Evil Dead films, The Return of the Living Dead, and Re-Animator are great suggestions. Slasher films in general are probably safe bets. Henenlotter films and Euro zombie flicks would also be appropriate.

Hellbilly, you're a sick man. Cannibal Holocaust has to be the worst suggestion of all-time. That would have some people throwing up for sure.

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Have you guys seen Thankskilling? I heard it was a fun Troma like film.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed with Rhett: keep it light and funny.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
    The Monster Squad (always a crowd-pleaser, no matter its rating)
    Army of Darkness (you can build fun drinking games around this one)
    Gremlins
    Ginger Snaps

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

You can argue if it's actually ''good'' or not but PIECES plays very well when you're hammered.REANIMATOR is fun to watch tipsy as well.