Best Italian Horror Film

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, May 24, 2005.

?

Best Italian Horror Film

1. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)

4.1%
  2. The Beyond (1981)

14.9%
  3. Black Sabbath (1964)

1.4%
  4. Black Sunday (1961)

2.7%
  5. Blood and Black Lace (1965)

4.1%
  6. Cannibal Holocaust (1979)

6.8%
  7. The Case of the Bloody Iris (1972)

1.4%
  8. Deep Red (1975)

8.1%
  9. Dellamorte Dellamore (1994)

4.1%
  10. Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. House with the Windows That Laugh (1976)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Inferno (1980)

1.4%
  13. Kill, Baby... Kill! (1968)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

1.4%
  15. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Opera (1987)

2.7%
  17. Suspiria (1977)

29.7%
  18. Tenebre (1982)

4.1%
  19. Zombi 2 (1979)

6.8%
  20. Other (specify)

6.8%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

OK I know you guys have been craving for one of my not so wonderful polls so here it is. pick the best Italian Horror film.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Suspiria for me, with The Beyond coming in second.

3. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

1.Deep Red
    2. Zombi 2
    3. The Beyond

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

I went with THE BEYOND, since that film has had the most effect on me and it was the film that opened me up to foreign horror in general. The gore, the music, the scares, the photography, the acting, all among Fulci's best. THE BEYOND is also the best film ever made that features spiders ravishing a paralyzed man in a library.

Almost all the films on that list that I've seen I enjoy thoroughly, if not really for CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and DEEP RED. CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS is kind of slight in my eyes, I could think of a number of gialli that I like more, but still an enjoyable movie. Good list, Ash, aka the poll master. :nervous:

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm surprised you didn't like Crystal Plumage and especially Deep Red. You might need to watch them a couple more times as they get better with every viewing. I actually having seen Bloody Iris yet. Even though i have the Giallo collection (I really need to get on that, it's the only one of the four I've yet to see). From reading the threads though it seems to have many fans.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I like the nasty movies so I had to vote for Cannibal Holocaust.

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Lots of great stuff to choose from (The Beyond, Deep Red, Black Sunday, all are outstanding) but for me the ultimate Italian movie will always be Suspiria.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The Beyond.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've only seen the director's cut of DEEP RED, and the pacing gets really hampered by all the added scenes. I've been told the theatrical cut plays much better, and I would believe that. At one moment in the director's cut the pace is relenting, then the next moment David Hemmings is philosophizing as if he were in another Antonioni film. The added scenes work well together on their own, but mixed with the theatrical scenes it just weighs the film down, in my opinion. PLUMAGE...eh, the acting was pretty weak, suspense not quite up to the standard that Argento would define in his later films. I like it as a window into the directions that Argento would persue later in his career, but its a little flat to me. For me it doesn't even compare with Fulci's early giallo work. As for BLOODY IRIS, I thought it was the weakest of the box, but still beautifully shot and enjoyable.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually Rhett, the theatrical cut and director's cut of Deep Red are one and the same. What you really mean to say is the Italian cut and the American cut. The Italian version is the long one, it's the American one that is edited down.

I've only seen the shorter version once, and I didn't care for it. Perhaps the best description I've heard is(and this is someone else's line, not mine), the short version of Deep Red is a great HORROR movie. The long version is a great MOVIE.

11. welb25

welb25 New Member

I actually do prefer the "Theatrical" or "export" cut of Deep Red. I have the spanish dvd which is cropped and not too good and I think is taken from the Japanese LD. None of the violence is cut and I think it flows better but I think that is the minority opinion.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Again i would definitely recommend giving it another shot. The first time I saw It had the same opinion of the film as you do or even worse. I literally felt it was a chore to get through. The second time I saw it I knew what to expect and just let the film absorb me. I ended up loving it. The atmosphere the music the cinematography it's just hypnotic. it's now one of my favourite horror film period. I find that's the case with most Argento films they just seem to get better every time you watch them.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of the reasons I prefer the longer cut is that I first saw the American version, and I had a lot of problems following it. Once I saw the real version, it all made sense.

And that's a problem with those who say they prefer the shorter version, especially if they've already seen the longer version. They know all the subtleties of the story already, so the shorter version would naturally "flow better". The only real way to get a valid opinion as to which version is better is to get someone who's never seen it at all, and have them view the short version first, and get their opinion. My guess is that he or she would like the storyline and violence, but have real trouble understanding Marc Daly's motivations. Most of all, they would probably not find the movie "deep" at all, but rather just a simple murder investigation, and not the self-evaluation that it really is.

Again, someone who's seen the full version previously will know that Marc Daly was emasculated over and over again, and understand why it's so important that he find the killer.

14. welb25

welb25 New Member

That makes alot of sense. Indeed, I did see longer cut first.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that I'm the first person to realize that LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE isn't Italian. If anything, it's Spanish.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Suspiria for me.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Opps I think you might be right. Is there a place on the web that you can find the Official country of origin on a film. The IMDB seems to basically just say where it was filmed.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Tough one, but I had to go with Don't Torture a Duckling.

20. MartinD1

MartinD1 Guest